High End Figures

I know I’m not alone in wanting more figures from DC, in the Hot Toys, Sideshow Collectibles, and Mezco One:12 Collective style. I would absolutely love to see DC enter the realm of higher end action figures so that we could get a steady stream of characters that we won’t see from those other companies. Personally, JSA figures would be a line I would go all-in on. Wildcat, Jay Garrick, Alan Scott, Starman, Dr. Fate, Doctor Mid-Nite, Mr. Terrific, Jakeem Thunder, Damage, Hourman, Liberty Belle, Power Girl, Hawkgirl. Endless possibilities! 1/12 scale would be perfect.

4 Likes

You’re not alone (I’m with you at least :slightly_smiling_face:) but we’re part of a very niche market. Typically the companies you mentioned make said figures in very small quantities, compared to the mass market figures, making them “collectors items” as soon as they’re released. As you probably know prices range from $100 to $250 or so brand new depending on the company/scale. Releasing multiple figure “waves” would be a financial challenge for most to say the least. Hence the limited releases of a few DC figures per year from each of those companies.
Having said that, DC Collectibles (Direct) did try to dabble in that market with DC Prime, releasing a 9" scale “premium” Batman figure as the lone figure in the line. Doesn’t seem like it took off at all. Still available on Amazon at $75 (down from an initial $125). It’s a good looking figure. Their biggest mistake, imo, was the high initial price, and not promising any more releases unless this one “sells”. No one wants to gamble on a line that may get discontinued right away.

So for the time being, the companies you listed are probably your best bet :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Having said that, if DC Direct can figure out a way to make comparable figures, perhaps with larger edition sizes, at a significantly lower price than the other guys and with some variety… they’d probably have a hit on their hands.

2 Likes

Would be great if they released JSA figures to go along with Star Girl.

3 Likes

I collect Hot Toys, and Mezco One:12 (among other) figures.
I think with those (and other) lines, the focus is of course on what proven sales are. I would gladly take an awesome Mister Miracle, or Adam Strange figure over another Batman any day. Sadly, that Prime figure was cool but the size was awkward. the scale of the figures being so inconsistent is why some lines fail. people want their collection to interact. the new Essentials are great! i loved the Icons line but they were small compared to everything but SH Figuarts. i’m a sucker for DC, and figures though, and have been since Super Powers when i was a kid.

3 Likes

You and me both (Super Powers was the ■■■■) :slightly_smiling_face:.

I display mine in museum poses due to space, so I’m ok with mixing scales.

I collect Mezco and Sideshow, but don’t have that many due to the high prices (and space limitations, frankly).

Never bought Icons (was too late to the party). I think the Essentials are good. What I really miss though are the Designer Series figures and the comic book specific DC Direct figures from their earlier years. Was good stuff.

Would love to see your display! Mine is linked to my profile if you’re curious :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

nice collection! very good stuff. mine is sort of scattered right now, and mostly not set up. some in storage, but i’ll certainly be trying to get it all in order again very soon. tomorrow will be the last day I have to work before a 4 day weekend, so i’ll be devoting a bit to unpacking and reorganizing. i have a few older shots of a very small selection, but it’s better than nothing, i suppose.

4 Likes

Love 'em, especially the Joker display! Didn’t know Hot Toys made a Jack Nicholson Joker… that’s one sweet figure! Bet you can’t wait for a Joaquin Phoenix to complete the set. I know… given Hot Toys record we’re probably a couple years away from that one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hot Toys also did the purple suit Nicholson Joker figure. it’s actually one that i’ve wanted longer than i’ve actually owned any. Mime Joker was my first Hot Toys figure, as I’m a sucker for Joker figures. it seems as though the Joaquin figure is unlikely to get made, but other companies are doing unlicensed ones. may have to break down and get one of them. Hot Toys are such tremendous pieces of art!

2 Likes

Agreed. Don’t own a single one. Had the JL movie Superman on pre-order. The delay was so long. After about 8 months of waiting beyond the “release date”, I cancelled and got my money back. Looking at the youtube videos, can’t say I don’t regret that decision a bit.

1 Like

Seems that Hot Toys focus is more on Star Wars and Marvel nowadays. Would love to see them get into DC figures based on the comics, but I don’t think that’s their schtick.

1 Like

Hot Toys got their bread & butter from Iron Man specifically, but now that he’s :SPOILER: dead in the MCU, they’re focusing on Spider-Man as their mainline money maker. Star Wars is certainly 2nd to Marvel for Hot Toys, and they aren’t even prioritizing other DC figures at all. Hot Toys really only do film, and game pieces. Sideshow have a pretty decent 1/6 scale comic line. their DC figures are great! Wonder Woman and Superman upcoming figures look terrific! Flash looks great, as does Joker. i haven’t been able to pick any of those ones up yet, but i had the older Hal Jordan, and still have their older Superman.

1 Like

Hot Toys have announced Harley from Birds of Prey, but ONLY her (in the gold overalls) for now. they only did Aquaman for the solo film, and nothing for Shazam at all. it’s pretty sad, really.

1 Like

Agree on Sideshow’s figures. Have the Superman and Batman (version 2) and think they are terrific. Have the Wonder Woman and Superman (version 2) on pre-order. Will make for a nifty Trinity display :slightly_smiling_face: