Hidden Gems: Obscure but Underrated Series from the Library!

The Jared Stevens Fate from the mid 90s.

It’s fairly obscure and I’ve had to talk people into giving it a try because it has the 90s EXTREME vibe to the covers (which is why I checked it out) but it’s actually a very good, fun book. There’s a sequel series, Book of Fate, that was part of the four book “Weirdoverse” (only one of which is up) that’s also very good.

3 Likes

@bd1,

It was the “extreme” look of Fate that turned me off the book, although I probably picked-up the first issue or two (as I read Zero Hour). Most problematic for me is that I love Dr. Fate’s design (the helmet, the amulet, the blue/gold color scheme), and Jared Stevens’ costume was too far removed from that classic look. Also, I’ve always wanted to read a proper Dr. Fate series that starred Kent Nelson, so Jared just seemed like another “replacement” hero (as DC had done with Superman/Reign of the Supermen, Batman/Azrael, Wonder Women/Artemis) that wasn’t needed.

2 Likes

There were alot of 2 yrs and out series that started after the first crisis, booster gold blue beetle blue devil, etc. True funnybooks worth diggin as a sorta time capsule of the times

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve bumped into a lot of interesting series and miniseries from that stretch of time. Some definitely better than others.

1 Like

Legends of Tomorrow is worth a read. You’ve got Firestorm, the Metal Men and Metamorpho! As Otis said: “What more could anyone ask?”? Oh, you want Sugar and Spike? They’re there too.

Walt Simonson’s Orion is pretty damn good.

A criminally underrated New 52 series (which has ties to the Metal Men story in Legends of Tomorrow as well):

6 Likes

It’s nice to see Arion get some love. I lack a few more issues and I’ll have a complete set. If you like it, there was also an Arion mini series in the early 90s, Arion the Immortal.

2 Likes

Tangent Comics is a fun alternate universe take on DC heroes.
Top 10 is Alan Moore’s story of a super-powered police force in a city where everyone has powers.

4 Likes

Great thread! Thanks all. Mostly just want to follow, but i’d submit that Frankenstein Agents of SHADE of New 52 was great.

4 Likes

Tangent is probably one of my all-time favorites ever. It is really great, especially the Green Lantern books.

1 Like

You’re right, that one hasn’t been released digitally yet.

2 Likes

These are the Series that made me a Doctor Fate Fan

5 Likes

So far I think I’ve only read the Wonder Woman one, because I got it on a WW-themed digital sale a LONG freaking time ago, thought it was kind of funny that they interpreted her as a literal “Wonder” Woman and made her question everything around her.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Earth 2: World’s End. Between that, Batman Eternal and Future’s End, it was unequivocally my favorite weekly book in 2014.

Earth 2 as a whole was pretty darn good too, especially James Robinson’s run.

1 Like

I was sold as soon as I saw Garcia-Lopez (an underrated master artisan) was involved.

I found this issue in the Comics library here and am eager to read it. Thanks for the heads-up @ambushbug!

I second Power Girl. A very underrated run.

Also “The Joker”, pre-Killing Joke & a great insight as to why complete chaotic randomness makes him much more psychologically compelling than being overtly homicidal.

1 Like

I do not like Checkmate volume 1. The premise isn’t bad, but it’s too exposition heavy and meandering. It’s hard to develop any connection to the main character when the main character changes every story arc. Checkmate Volume 2 on the other hand is one of my favorites.

I think your description of Azrael is dead on. I don’t know if I can say the series is good, but I always enjoy it. It’s lacking something I can never quite place. Underdeveloped protagonist? Generic plots? Consistent and clear goals? I don’t know. It’s fun and yet doesn’t quite mesh.

1 Like

As far as hidden gems, New Superman has been fantastic. I think I have one more story arc and I’ll finish off the series.

3 Likes

I mostly enjoyed Future’s End until it, well, ended. Did the way it wrapped up not bug you?

@BatWatch I haven’t re-read Future’s End since it ended, but I don’t remember it’s conclusion bugging me at the time. Overall, it was a pretty good read and quite often was neck and neck with Batman Eternal for my second favorite weekly book in 2014.

1 Like

@BatWatch @Vroom

The Grayson issue of Future’s End still amazes me. One of my all-time favorite single issues.

1 Like