Heroes in Crisis

What did everyone think about “Heroes in crisis”? Thought, feelings, what could have been… I would love to discuss this series!

2 Likes

I enjoyed it, but I’m admittedly the minority opinion.

3 Likes

Interesting premise, but it meanders along for a while.

From #6 on, that’s where the story picked up and pulled me in. If the major events of #'s 1-5 were condensed into two issues and added to the four that worked well, Heroes in Crisis would have been a thoroughly enteraining six issue mini, instead of a mostly meandering nine issue mini.

2 Likes

I intensely disliked it. I thought the premise was fantastic but it never really lived up to it besides the talking head panels. I was disappointed that the facility was shut down before we ever really got the chance to get to know it.

2 Likes

The biggest problem I had with it was the fact that this supposed “safe place” for heroes was really created for nothing more than to be a kill box where DC Powers that Be could get rid of characters they no longer wanted around and disguise it as a moving dramatic piece about PTSD. I think that if the book had just showed characters going through the process of healing fro traumatic experiences. That would have been fine!. But to have them all get killed and make this a big Identity Crisis part II, was just really wash rinse repeat.

8 Likes

Yeah. Good intention. Poor execution.

They’re having a hard time getting the ptsd right. I had hoped JL Odyssey would have more to say with Azrael and Cruz in the same book. Too bad.

3 Likes

The intent, showing that it was okay to get professional help, was good. However, the final product has almost nothing to do with that, instead being a convoluted story relying mostly on shock for sales and meandering to fill all 9 issues.

5 Likes

It’s very disappointing that it was Wally in the end. The poor kid just accidentally did that and then did something completely out of character, because he was scared.

3 Likes

I think the intent also backfired. The message that seeking help is good is a little overshadowed by the fact that getting help resulted in slaughter.
I do not think that was an intentional dig on mental health but it’s like “maybe I was better off with ptsd and addiction”.
I can see why an all talk story would be “boring” in a corporate superhero universe but this story deserved time before the slaughter. Like a 4 issue prequel just about Sanctuary.

4 Likes

I would love to know if the rumors of intervention are true and if so, what was the original direction for the story?

1 Like

I’d have settled for an oversized Sanctuary one-shot that dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s, so that Heroes in Crisis could have told it’s story in a substantially leaner, and more effective, way.

I’d have also settled for the Batman/Flash crossover not happening.

1 Like

I 100% agree

1 Like

I really loved those 9-panel, facing the camera, single page confessionals.

Also: Gnarrk philosophical musings were the utter highlight of the entire series for me. In the future, if someone were willing to write him in this manner, I would fully support the return of Gnarrk.

1 Like

1 Like

I liked it for what it is. It might not have gotten things right but it was a step in the right direction. I don’t see this book being able to be made in the 90s or 00s. Even though this a baby step in the right direction it is better than nothing in regards to mental illness.

It was sad watching my fav character try to kill himself

2 Likes

I read these comments and I am quite surprised. I actually really really liked this book and I am not a fan of some of Tom King’s stuff. It definitely could be improved but overall I found it pretty powerful and a fun story. Especially since it wasn’t like a batman\superman\Wonder Woman story arc. Honestly i was hooked on the first issue because of Hot Spot’s page. [Spoilers!] :rotating_light: When he talks about basically legacy and how he uses a catchphrase to be remembered but then Superman can’t remember his catchphrase when he is dead…uggghhh that hit me. I am a musician and I have those thoughts sometimes about legacy. The fact that a comic book was saying how I feel left an impact. I sent it to my bandmate and he said “Man I thought you were sending me something funny and this was very much not that,” We talked for like an hour about that.

Kinda rambled there. In short, I liked it :grin: but it isn’t perfect. Some moments really stood out to me!

1 Like

I fell in the mud

I think I commented on this abomination elsewhere on the app, but suffice it to say this was the worst DC story in decades. It was pointless, boring and destructive. It was a pure money grab on the part of the publisher. DC plasters the word “crisis” on the cover of a book and like lemmings to the comic shop we buy this crap. NOPE! Not anymore! You have to start working again for my dollar DC.

1 Like

It has so many things I don’t like.

Well-meaning concept executed poorly? Check.

Mistreating Wally West like someone on the editorial staff has it out for him? Check.

Lots of cheap deaths for shock value? Check.

Overpowered, over-limelighted Harley Quinn? Check doublecheck.

The 2nd and 3rd points feel less like they’re even there for drama, they’re just housecleaning/railroading future writers to have to stick to certain characters. I’d give a vote for decanonizing and memory-holing this one just for Wally West’s sake.

3 Likes