Hero Initiative Reprinting JLA/Avengers to Honor George Perez

Earlier today, the Hero Initiative announced that they’ll be reprinting the JLA/Avengers crossover miniseries from 2003 to honor George Perez, and that it’ll be coming out next month! This edition is 288 pages, features dozens of pages of extra material and is going for just $29.99. It’s also gonna be limited to 7,000 copies, so anyone else who’s been wanting this to come out will need to act fast. It’s just so awesome to see this finally getting printed again, and especially so that it’s being done to help out a true comics icon in Perez

17 Likes

This is a good start, but limited to 7000 copies why???

A larger release would sell out just as quickly

8 Likes

Ok so where do we order this?

Don’t exactly have a comic shop in town.

6 Likes

Haven’t seen any reasoning as to why, so we can only speculate for now. My guess is that they want this to be like a rare collectible. What’s interesting is that the Hero Initiative announcement doesn’t actually say the proceeds from this book will go to Perez directly, go toward paying his hospice care or anything like that. Hopefully he doesn’t actually need the money, in which case they might have felt that making this a more exclusive item would give it more weight

My guess is that it’ll be through comic shops since they mentioned it’ll be distributed through Diamond. That could also explain the limited amount of copies as opposed to if they sold it through bigger retail stores as well. Hero Initiative also has items you can buy on their website, but I’m not seeing this book there

8 Likes

Saw this news about 20 minutes after it dropped. You better believe I called my LCS right away.

5 Likes

Were you able to pre-order it?

3 Likes

They put my name on a list (first one!) for the copies that they ordered for the store. But I didn’t actually purchase it yet.

5 Likes

Nice! It’s just good to know you were able to do that. I was wondering if stores would even be taking pre-orders/reservations for it already, and even though it might be different at different stores, this is definitely reassuring

4 Likes

Just called my local comic shop and was able to reserve a copy! Along w/ @KookieSuperApe, it seems like that’s the main, if only, way to snag 1 of these right now. They also said March 16 was the listed release date, which would make sense since that’s a Wednesday, though it could also be a placeholder

5 Likes

I literally just messaged my local comic shop to see if I can get a copy of this. :slight_smile: I’m excited, and it’s a great way to honor Mr. Perez.

9 Likes

Messaged my comic store as well. Fingers crossed….

5 Likes

I’d love to have this in tpb as well, but with only 7000 being made, it feels like taking it from someone whose never gotten to read it. I have the original issues and the Absolute, so I’m gonna wait and hope they decide to mass print it.

8 Likes

They did the same thing with the Nes Classic Edition, Nintendo Switch, and PS5. It almost seems like theses companies do this on purpose. Then you get scalpers buying all the limited copies and reselling them at ridiculous prices.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for what’s he going through, I sure would love to read the book.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

They better

5 Likes

The Hero Initiative does limited editions hardcovers on a regular basis to raise money, but normally they have a softcover that they don’t list a a limit on. In both cases they state there will be only one printing so place your order now. I wonder what the original print run was back 2003 for the trade and absolute. That would put the 7,000 print run in context. Maybe after the fundraising trade DC and Marvel will release a for profit hardcover?

8 Likes

Maybe afterwords they can reprint the other DC/Marvel crossovers

5 Likes

It looks like
Average Fan
Will Not get tp buy this

Simple arithmetic
7000 copies
3200 Diamond accounts,

2 to 3 copies per
Local Comic Book Store

6 Likes

This brings up some very good points. Limiting the run so that it comes out soon enough for Perez to see is an initially good move, but it would also make a lot more sense to say that a wider release will be coming later, perhaps late this year or sometime next year. My LCS didn’t indicate there’d be any issues w/ me getting this for the cover price, but I recognize that could change at any point, even on release day. It’s really gonna be a shame to see copies getting flipped for hundreds of dollars right after it comes out

7 Likes

From what I understand, Perez was one of the founders of the Hero Initiative, so it’s possible it’s less that he needs it, and it’s more their way of celebrating his legacy and contribution to the program.

That’s true for things like the NES Classic, but I think the Switch was pure demand, and the PS5 and the X-Box Series X have more to do with semi-conductor shortages that have been going on since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

5 Likes