Henry Cavill on Superman

I thought this was interesting. Men’s Health interview with Henry Cavill.

It’s more of a general interview about his background and roles. Some nice tidbits about him hanging out in a comic book store, and a couple of memorable quotes:

• "The cape is in the closet…It’s still mine.”

• Man of Steel ? “A great starting point. If I were to go back, I don’t think I’d change anything.” Batman v Superman ? “Very much a Batman movie. And I think that realm of darkness is great for a Batman movie.” Justice League ? “It didn’t work.”

• Regarding the rumors that he is done as Superman: “I’m not just going to sit quietly in the dark as all this stuff is going on. I’ve not given up the role. There’s a lot I have to give for Superman yet. A lot of storytelling to do. A lot of real, true depths to the honesty of the character I want to get into. I want to reflect the comic books. That’s important to me. There’s a lot of justice to be done for Superman. The status is: You’ll see.”

I’d personally be happy if he came back. I liked him in the role. Of course these quotes don’t mean a comeback is actually happening; WB has to want him back as well. However, it’s nice to see he still feels strongly about Superman and doing an earnest portrayal on the big screen. I guess time will tell.

9 Likes

I’ve always said that Cavill was a good Superman that got dealt a bad hand with the movies he was given (truthfully I still like MoS, the others are horrendous).

I just had the idea that in 5-10 years, let’s have Cavill and Affleck back to do “Kingdom Come” (keep Snyder far far away from it). Until then it seems like Tyler Hoechlin and Robert Pattinson are the chosen ones that will be pushed on the small and big screens, and rightfully so.

2 Likes

A Kingdom Come movie would be so amazing and has been brought up in some other posts like “A DC ‘What If’ Show.” If they don’t want to focus on a shared universe they can still tell great stories from the comics in 1-2 movies like Kingdom Come.

I honestly believe that the Man Of Steel Film did for so many what the first Christopher Reeve film did for people my age. The treatment of the character and how well done it was made me think that DC and Warner Brothers were moving in the right direction. Had they made two Superman Sequels and incorporated elements of the Nolan Universe that laid the foundation, I believe that we would have gotten to see two more amazing films from Zack Snyder, and the ground would have been laid for the justice league films. I would have imagined with such care, they could have gotten Christian bale to reprise his role as Batman and thus tying all the films together.

Henry Cavill did a great job of playing Superman and it is unfortunate that the Batman Superman movie and subsequent Justice League movies did not really give the actor the opportunity to be Superman again. Especially with the CG mustache coverup that we can not seem to forget. Think “John Dies At The End”.

1 Like

I really hope he make a comeback as Superman. I really do love how he portrays the man of steel.

2 Likes

He is a great fit for the role. I’d definitely welcome him back for another shot :slightly_smiling_face:

Please bring this man back, WB.