Help Me Understand! Why Do You Like Titans?

I mean, I don’t want them just replacing the actor at this point. Its not fair to Teagan Croft. Just let them be friends. I dont think the show needs to follow source material. That is irrelevant to me. I just want it to have stronger writing. Whether it’s original or a retelling, idc.

1 Like

I don’t think it needs a crazy budget to be good. Nor follow the teen titans/ go tv shows. The teen titans have been around wayyyy longer than the tv show version. They’re also focusing too much on Jason, and I’m worried they’ll focus too much on Barbara Gordon and tim too. It’s not supposed to be about them. It shouldn’t be a gotham centric show.

1 Like

Look, it’s no secret how I feel about this show. I’ve said it several times. But my experience with it was quite similar to yours.
When the show was announced I was over the moon excited! When Thwaits was shown in costume I FREAKED! I thought it was the best day of my life (not really but you get the idea). Then the “leaked” shots of hooker Starfire I was like okay, maybe it’ll change over the season. But something told me to start worrying. Then the trailer dropped I was utterly disappointed. But I still have it a chance. I watched the first episode and thought the dialogue was weird, pacing and tone was very off putting, pretty much the same issues you have with it. I thought it was so bad I started laughing literally. But everyone was like “jUsT gEt ThRoUgH tHe FiRsT 3 ePiSoDeS iT’s SoOoOo GoOd” so I watched the whole season. It didn’t make me wanna watch another so I haven’t. And I won’t.
The most disappointing thing thing for me is I like all the actors they have! I like them all enough to want them to succeed because dispute all the bad I can see they could be great as their respective characters of written correctly. My problems lie solely in the show and team behind it. The writing, tone, pacing, that atrocious blue filter, characterizations, AND the fact that the only characters to get a real suit are Dick, Hawk, Dove (whom I had no idea existed before this show), and Jason who is also getting a new suit this coming season :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::man_facepalming:t2:. It all just feels they’d rather be doing a Batman show rather than a Titans show cuz this is Bats tone and his related/adjacent characters get the most attention. Which is more evident in all the Jason stuff I read about. He has absolutely nothing to do with the Titans - same as Batman so neither should have even been in the show let alone apart of the team. Just shows they don’t even have faith in their work as they need Bats and the current Robin to produce ratings. Jason should’ve showed up, announced himself as the new Robin causing Dick to drop the mantle and become Nightwing and left never to be seen or heard from again after those what 2 episodes in season 1. Ugh… okay I’m ranting let me stop or I’ll be here all day.

1 Like

I think for me, it’s just Dick Grayson in the flesh. I love him so much that it would be hard to mess up a representation of him, unless they just completely missed the mark. I grew up on BTAS, and he was such a cool part of the show. To be fair, he doesn’t have the “smart alec”-y aspect of his character, but they make it very apparent that this is a Dick that feels betrayed and distanced from Batman. I’ve always been interested in what caused the separation of Bruce and Dick (any comic recommendations that focus on Bruce and Dick’s relationship?), and this hit that heavy.

Apart from that, I personally think the actors do a great job, it’s a fresh take, and I also liked Teen Titans growing up. I think it’s just important to not compare to the cartoon show, and just enjoy it for what it is!

For me personally, seeing good actors play my favorite characters trumps any bad story/writing!

Okay, I understand wanting to see your favorite characters live in the flesh. I love all the actors that well. But why watch a show if it’s not well written/has a bad story. If you juwt want the costume/actors, then go watch some cosplay videos or look at some clips. But why force yourself to watch hours of a bad story if it’s just for the costume/character.

1 Like

Well I guess maybe I didn’t phrase it the best, but I don’t think the story is all that bad. I was a bit put off that the end of season 1 was resolved in the first episode of season 2. The dialogue is pretty rough, but as long as I don’t focus on that aspect, and keep my attention on the parts I do like, it’s not a problem. But even that, the “F*** Batman” line made my jaw drop, and I knew I was going to love it.

I guess the bottom line is I’m not really looking for quality dialogue (lets be honest, there are some cheesy, campy comic book IP) and I didn’t feel like the average story was enough to distract from great acting, amazing costumes, favorite characters.

1 Like

Well I think Red Hood is really popular now, which is why they’re focusing on Jason. I’d love some Barbara and Tim, but agree that we don’t want it to be too Gotham centric.

Additionally, now that Dick has resolved some of his issues, I’d be interested to see if Brenton Thwaites can pull of some more cheerful, wise cracking Dick Grayson. No real reason to be so angsty now, although I enjoyed it in seasons 1 and 2.

What aspects of the story are you drawn to? I’m curious. :smiley:

1 Like

I mean without going step by step, I like Dick and Rachel’s connection. I like that it’s both a connection in the story and a character connection. I saw the first season as mostly character building and establishing where the characters are in their lives. Hawk and Dove’s episodes aren’t my favorite but their relationship is one I enjoy watching. If I had my way, it would have been more intertwined rather than an entire episode of those two.

Season 2 story was significantly better than Season 1. Characters are established, they’re all together, and Deathstroke is a straight badass. This season you get a lot of Dick and Bruce relationship, I like the Superboy story line (very similar to Young Justice, which is AWESOME) and then obviously the Nightwing reveal at the end.

It’s not a perfect story (I’d give Season 1 story a C- and season 2 a B), but it’s good enough that I can watch my favorite characters in live action!

What did you think of Doom Patrol? Honestly I had never heard of it prior to the DCU show and it’s almost the opposite of Titans for me. Hilarious dialogue and I don’t know the characters so the story has to carry a bit more weight!

1 Like

I loved Doom Patrol, but I think it’s far superior to Titans in writing and story. I don’t have an issue with Titans tone. I just don’t think it’s story/writing is strong enough. Doom Patrol is a lot better at developing its characters, their backstories, their relationships, etc. It takes them through much stronger, complete, and engaging arcs. I’d have to dedicate a whole thread to it haha.

2 Likes

I mean I can’t argue, and i think reason is that it has to be. The Titans can rely on their characters and make a (in my opinion) good show, whereas you can’t rely on name recognition for Doom Patrol. Its lazy on the Titans writers’ part, so I don’t blame you for not liking it. I’m glad both shows exist and am looking forward to watching future seasons!

1 Like

Why is it so hard for DC to understand the
further you go from what everyone knows and loves and wants, the worse it will be, the more terrible it becomes…ALWAYS EVERY SINGLE TIME ITS SO INCREDIBLY SIMPLE!!! I’m a diehard DC fan and honestly believe in everyway except live action DC is better, they all make this mistake but DC by far the most& it’s unbelievable & embarrassing!!! Somehow i missed season 2 & just finished it​:money_with_wings::wastebasket::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Maybe I’m wrong…NOPE I’m not it’s so clearly obvious

The problem with Titans has nothing to do with straying away from sou4ce materiel. Almost no live action super hero film follows the exact plot of the comics or characters. Its just not possible in the medium. The arcs of MCU characters for example share very little in common with their comic book counterparts, yet they still tell an engaging and well written story.

The problem with titans isn’t that it strays too far from source material, but that it’s poorly thought out and has some incredibly poor writing.

2 Likes

If you want DC characters to be like they are in the comics, go read the comics.

3 Likes

Okay, not saying I agree with their point as I’ve already addressed why it’s flawed. But wanting to see comic accurate characters in other media isn’t bizarre. To imply that reading a comic gives a person the same experience as watching a movie is outrageous. Some people may really like concepts, ideals, and stories of characters but dislike reading comics because the medium doesn’t suit them. That’s a totally reasonable thing. A better response to this user’s points is to say that Titans isn’t flawed just because it isn’t accurate to the comics.

I’m not going to push this thread off topic any further as it’s against TOS. So feel free to dm if you want to continue this conversation. I just felt this comment was unfair and deserved a quick response before letting the condo about Titans go on.

1 Like

Titans, as you have stated, seems as though they’re trying WAY TOO HARD to be mature and over the top. It’s like, “Okay, dude. We get it. You can chill now.” :rofl: I had to skip over several scenes in episode 1 alone, because they made me very uncomfortable. I understand that not a lot of people have the issues I have with watching sexual content and violence.

I’ve also read that, “Doom Patrol,” has one very disturbing orgy scene in season 2 that will be very uncomfortable for many to watch.

I’m honestly brand new to this site and have just recently dipped my toe into the DC Universe, but I LOVE the original Teen Titans and Doom Patrol comics/story lines. To have these shows be a disappointment is definitely a huge bummer.

My only hope for these shows is that someone else comes along and makes a reboot that’s much more satisfying. Only time will tell if that will ever happen.

Titans and Doom Patrol have so much potential to be AMAZING shows with the incredible, original story lines, but so far they’re not great. At all. Just my opinion!

I think Doom Patrol is far better written and made. The characters have actually layers and depth to them that make for such an interesting watch. It’s definitely weird and “mature” at times, but even then it’s handled in such a goofy and silly way that it’s just a lot of fun. I recommend it

2 Likes

“If you want DC characters to be like they are in the comics, go read the comics.”

To throw in my two cents, why shouldn’t people want adaptations to be as accurate as possible? Because not everyone reads comics, adaptations are some of the only ways these people can even see such characters / stories. Plus, there are many cases of people who’ve liked an adaptation of the comics so much, that they then seek out the comics. So, shouldn’t an adaptation try not to be inadvertent false advertising as much as possible? Just something to consider.

“The problem with Titans has nothing to do with straying away from sou4ce materiel. Almost no live action super hero film follows the exact plot of the comics or characters. Its just not possible in the medium.”

Well, that’s not entirely accurate. It’s very possible to do exactly what the comics did, except in motion instead of singular pictures. The problem instead is this, not many people in the film and T.V. business, want to do it accurately. It’s not always for the same reasons, but the ones most commonly used are as fallows. The production’s exact budget wasn’t big enough, runtime management, and people wanting “creative freedom” to do whatever they want with said characters / brand. Most in the business have even admitted that if the reasons above weren’t at play, there productions could (or would) have been 100% accurate. As you even said “Almost no live action super hero film follows the exact plot of the comics or characters.”, the key word is “almost” in that sentence.

Many examples could be given to demonstrate this, however I think I’ll start with this one. The Adom West Batman T.V. series is by far one of the most accurate adaptations of the source material. The costumes are on point, the characters are spot on, and many comic stories were done accurately for episode plots. Now before I continue, I know what you might be thinking. “But the 60’s T.V. series is silly.” However this is my counter argument, it’s only as silly as the comics of the time. If you directly compare them, it’s an exact match. So imagine if a new Batman series was made today, being this faithful to the comics of today. I think people would eat that up like candy, as they did with the Adom West T.V. series back in the 60’s. It was beloved almost globally for years, even people today love it. So it’s not impossible to do it accurately in the medium, it’s just not as commonly done.

With that said, let’s look at another beloved adaptation of the comics. “Superman : The Movie” starring Christopher Reeve was also almost globally loved, and this is still the case to this day. Now it’s not as accurate to the source material as the Adom West Batman T.V. series is, however it’s fairly close. I believe this is part of the point the other fellow was trying to make. The closer you are to the source material, the better your product is / the more popular it will be. The less accurate you are to the source material, the worse your product is / the less popular it will be.

Titans has a very unique set of problems that make the show fun and memorable. Like yeah realistically there’s some hiccups with the story’s continuity and the logic is bendable at times but at least we get to see HAWT characters experience these hiccups.

2 Likes