Help Identifying Something - Blackest Night Ring Set

Hey Guys,

I need help with something. 1 year ago I decided to pick up the Blackest night Lantern Ring Prop set that came out at Gamestops and found a decent deal on eBay. After it came in, I realized my set looked different then all others I ever saw. Instead of the metallic silver rings with just the center lantern piece being colored in the corresponding lantern color, each ENTIRE ring was colored in the corresponding color.

So for instance Sinestro’s Yellow ring is pure yellow. The box is identical to the normal outside of a slightly different UPC code. I’ve never seen a similar set. Can someone identify if they were just two versions of this that came to gamestops or is this more of a rare one that came in small ratios so maybe every 1 in 10 was like this or is this more of a promo set I have? I’m just confused because I’ve never seen a set quite like that but I always seen the other one being sold. In fact I was so worried that this might be a rare item I have on hand potentially that I even went back and bought the normal one to actually use so I didn’t use the first set I ended up with. I included a picture of the set I have as well as the normal set do you can see the differences.

5 Likes

Very interesting, @Doctor_Fate2000! If you’re able, could you please provide pictures of the back of the box, maybe some of the copyright details and the company that made it? (DC Direct, etc.) I can try to run this through our consumer products department and see what we come up with :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely, I’m quite eager to get to the bottom of this mystery. Like I said I purchased second hand and didn’t even notice there was a difference when I first purchased until it came in. Only after about a month that I realized my set was different than every other one I’ve ever seen. Here are two pictures of the backs of the boxes. The first back with the UPC is from the unique ring set and the second back is from the more common one that I have that I

see everybody else with and selling. You’ll notice there’s a slight difference in the UPC code.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing these pictures! I’ll take them to the team in the morning (it’s getting towards end of day here) and let you know what we can unearth :female_detective:

4 Likes

No problem, thanks @Applejack it’ll be good to potentially find out something. I’ve tried looking into it over the last year and haven’t been able to find a single picture or reference to this particular version so I’ve been stumped. If there’s a chance to find out the deal, I’ll be thrilled. I’d have thought it was just a different version for sale but would have believed I would have seen another reference by now.

4 Likes

I’m thinking the rings with the visible metal are the Gamestop versions and that’s what makes them able to label it exclusive. While the full colored rings are probably from niche retailers as you can see in the link below. I’m not sure which one would be considered rare but could just be gamestops is a variant version essentially.

3 Likes

I’m with you. I bought my set from gamestop and the rings have the metal outline. I think the gamestop version has the metal. Also if you’re getting it for $70 you’re getting robbed, my set was $50. I wouldn’t go higher than $60.

2 Likes

I personally love my set. I wear a ring every day dependent on my mood. I have the full color set but then bought a regular GameStop silver looking set too. After using for a year straight, I’ve noticed my rings are displaying a little patina so I just bought a new silver (GameStop) set to have in more prestige condition. Honestly I paid no more then $20-25 each time for the silver looking sets though my initial one cost me more new.

So it seems like potentially the full enamel colors set isn’t rare and just from different retailers that we almost never see. We’ll that is good to at least solve the mystery even if it’s a little of a let down. Wonder why I never see these

2 Likes

OK. Check it out, So the Metal Detail Set is still available for purchase from MANY retailers at an MSRP of 69.99 us but is not listed on the SALESONE.ORG site any longer but, again the Chrome Detailed Rings, are readily available. I think, of the the two, my scour came back with NO Salesone 9 ring set with a Solid Color Scheme, I cant wait to hear what the team says, but I can buy the 9 rings with the Chrome Detail New from WALMART of all places… but the solid colors are MIA! I would think It would make the Solid color at least more Rare? Very Interesting…

2 Likes

Quick update! Still waiting to hear back from the team, but hoping to have a response by early next week :00_lc_green_lantern:

2 Likes

I wonder if they were able to figure anything out. @Applejack , any new word?

2 Likes

Checking the status of this for you! Will let you know when I hear back :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re getting close! We’re still trying to determine who manages the licensee (there’s been some disruption in the chain of command due to the 2020 layoffs), but I’m told we’ll be getting a response soon :crossed_fingers:
GorgeousGraciousGadwall-size_restricted

1 Like

@Doctor_Fate2000

We have an answer!

We managed to get in contact with SalesOne regarding the sets and they told us the following:

We created 2 Ring Sets. The difference is one is completely Titanium plated/Colored and filled with Enamel, whereas the other is only enamel-filled at the top, and the rest of the ring is Steel colored.

ISKU#: GNLNFRSET01
UPC#: 811411035525

SKU#: GNLNFRSET02
UPC#: 810039213551

Neither one is a special edition or an exclusive edition sadly. Still a really cool find!

Thanks for giving us the chance to dive down this rabbit hole, it was fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Alec.Holland Thanks for the final info. A little sad to hear but at least I’m glad to have a definitive answer. I still love my sets

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised that one wasn’t a limited edition honestly. Happy to close the case!

1 Like

Late to the show but yeah, bummer. Even if salesone says neither are “Limited” I still can’t find the full Enamel/ titanium plated rings for sale. That has to be worth something to the right collector…