Helen Slater Supergirl

I know the 1984 Supergirl movie is an acquired taste, but I honestly enjoy it more then the Christopher Reeve movies. I watched it for the first time when I was younger and the smallville Kara got me addicted to the character. Helen Slater will always be a great supergirl and it makes me happy every time she guest stars in DC related productions.

2 Likes

Watched it last October here. The movie is a complete mess from start (here play with the Mcguffin we need to survive) to the end. It wastes talent like Faye Dunaway and more, gives Kara Vinnie Barbarino for a boyfriend. And, I’ll watch it again because Helen Slater is Supergirl. If only they had created a movie equal to its star.

The movie.is.dar from great, but Helen Slater was great as Supergirl. I still har her voice when I read.a Supergirl comic.

2 Likes

Movie is far from great I meant. Damn phone.

1 Like

My six word summary for Supergirl: It has issues, but it’s fun.

3 Likes

Yup. I have a happy, warm place in my heart for this movie.

I wanted a crossover so badly.

2 Likes

It’s a guilty pleasure for me too.

Jerry Goldsmith composed the score for Richard Donner’s “The Omen” and the score won an Academy Award for it. So it was a no-brainer at the time for Donner to hire Goldsmith to write the music for the director’s next project, “Superman”. But when principal photography continued to push further and further out causing the film to miss its original release date, Goldsmith wasn’t available to do the job. Enter John Williams.

Williams’ score for Kal-El is arguably better, but to finally get to hear Goldsmith compose music for a Kryptonian superhero, Helen Slater’s Supergirl, is a treat!

3 Likes

My 6 word summary for Supergirl “Chick Flick wrapped in a cape.”

I still enjoy the movie. Its more fairy tale:ish style has given it better longevity. It’s fantasy environments and characters has me putting it in the same shelf as The Neverending Story and Legend.

They do not linger as favorites because of amazing fx or deep commentary on society. They still appeal because their charming magical tales of dark and light, villains and heroes.

3 Likes

It’s cool that she plays the mom on Supergirl CW too

2 Likes

@Don-El
I agree. Just like John Wesley Shipp and Amanda Pays getting minor but recurring roles and Mark Hamilton as trickster in Flash. It’s nice to see them look back and include actors who did previous incarnations of main characters. They have all done good jobs in those minor roles and hardcore fans especially get “the nod” to those actors that is happening. I find it very endearing. Even BTAS did this by giving Adam West a role as the mayor in a few episodes as well.

1 Like