HBO Max Reveals First-Look Image of AQUAMAN: KING OF ATLANTIS Animated series

13 Likes

Looks like the art style of Thundercats Roar. I didnā€™t know Mera has a Unibrow!

9 Likes

That isā€¦NOT the animation style I expected for this, but it looks interesting. Iā€™m curious how many of the original actors will reprise their roles for this, if any.

10 Likes

Niceā€‹:+1: Wonder how it will turn out. Always up for more Aquaman.

7 Likes

I am intriguedā€¦

7 Likes

@Aquamon Thoughts?

7 Likes

Years ago Iā€™ve made a thread that there should be a Aquaman Animated series. At the time no one care what I wrote, hope the show will be a success.:grinning:

9 Likes

Iā€™m glad to see some positive reactions from the community here, because it feels like every other place on the internet Iā€™ve checked shows nothing for hate towards this first glimpse.

To anyone who may be upset by this style and direction, please remember: you are NOT the target audience. This is kids show aimed at children in the pre-k through 3rd grade range (even younger than something like Teen Titans Go!). The style is purposefully colorfully, flashy, and simplistic to make it easier for that age range to follow and be engaged with.

While Iā€™m sure many fans were hoping for a more mature take on Aquaman in the animated series, this show is still a phenomenal thing for the fandom!!! This introduces the character to new fans at a younger age who will grow with him and lead to him becoming more popular (meaning more Aquaman material IN GENERAL for all ages). Itā€™s important to use these characters in diverse ways to broaden the attention of audiences from many different age groups. Not only that, but there is plenty of mature DC material in the world. Itā€™s good to allow the kiddos to have a few things.

Just wanted to put it out there before I see any hate comments directed towards the show on here.

11 Likes

Thereā€™s the old saying, ā€˜Donā€™t judge a book by itā€™s cover.ā€™ For all we know it could be a great show. Letā€™s look at Batman The Brave & The Bold, to some people itā€™s probably a dumb show, but to most like me find it very entertaining, I like how the show tone the violence a bit down and make it more fun with comedy stuff. As Aquaman himself would always say,ā€œOutrageous!ā€ One of my favorite episode happens to be Aquaman vacation adventures.
Iā€™m looking forward to the show, nothing wrong with hero show being a comedy if itā€™s done right. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

It reminds me of Teen Titans Go, of which Iā€™ve seen super little of, but Robin was super sarcastic and funny so I liked what I saw.

7 Likes

All I need to see is the words ā€œAquamanā€ paired with that animation style, and Iā€™m sold. I like this already.

6 Likes

The art style looks interesting. But itā€™s hard to judge a series by the first picture. I look forward to learning more about this series and eventually watching it.

7 Likes

Brave and the bold is fantastic. Itā€™s a beautiful love letter to one of my favorite comic eras, the silver age, and was one of my earliest introductions to Batman (or at least major introductions. Batman was/is everywhere. Heā€™s Batman). I have yet to meet anyone who dislikes that show (and I donā€™t know how you could), but you make a good point.

6 Likes

Definitely agree with this.

7 Likes

Agreed! Iā€™m not saying that just because itā€™s made for children that everyone canā€™t enjoy it. I just hate seeing the backlash on something like Teen Titans Go! simply because itā€™s not what they wanted. Iā€™m definitely gonna watch the first ep of Aquaman, hope Iā€™ll enjoy it! But if I donā€™t Iā€™m not gonna get mad and push it off because I understand itā€™s simply not made for me is all.

7 Likes

There are some exciting new series coming out! I think itā€™s great seeing shows with different tones and for different audiences, rather than everything just being the same. :slight_smile: More for everyone!

9 Likes

We need more people who think like this in the world.

6 Likes

I said the same thing about it being for kids. Its always the grown kids, what I call them. Always the ones to complain but I bet they still watch it. I think people criticize every little thing for attention.

7 Likes

I didnā€™t know this was a thing! I like the art style and the idea of a ā€œthree part story.ā€ Iā€™ll definitely watch the pilot. Looks like some goofy fun.

6 Likes

The fact this is the style for a show that apparently will be set in the DCEU and be a bridge between the Aquaman movies is an odd choice for something that will apparently look like this. Just seems like an odd fit.

That aside though a comedic Aquaman animated series for kids isnā€™t inherently a bad thing. Thundercatā€™s Roar which has the same show runners from what I saw was not a good show and didnā€™t treat the original with a lot of respect. And failed so weird if they are trusting them with somethign tied to a property like the DCEU.

But plenty of comedic kids shows with a simmilar style have been well loved by kids. While some donā€™t like Aquaman being ā€œmade fun ofā€ there is plenty of material for some great fun commedy and could be a goood gateway to introduce kids to Aquaman and his world. And that is a good thing.

So I am willing to take a wait and see approach.

Although I will say MAX might have gotten in their own way some to hype an Aquaman cartoon set in the DCEU bridging the movies and then seemingly give us a kids show in the vein of Teen Titans Go and Thundercats Roar. But ultimately if the end product is good no one will care when all is said and done.

5 Likes