HBO Max/ New shows

New shows are nice, but aside from Doom Patrol I only use DC Universe to read comics.

If Doom Patrol was only on HBO Max, I’d just wait for the DVD.
And I’d keep DC Universe for the comics.

So, to recap:
I won’t be getting HBO Max.
I will be keeping DC Universe as long as it exists and continues carrying the comics.
I’ll be getting Doom Patrol on DVD.

1 Like

This is why I think it would make more financial sense for AT&T to just pipe the video content all to HBO Max to make sure their flagship doesn’t sink and offer DC Universe as a comics platform. Then, they could cross promote with a bundle deal for people who want to subscribe to both.

They’re already basically heading in this direction. As has been said, mirroring several shows on the specific video platform they want to save. They need to pull their video content from DC Universe, Netflix, and everything else they have it on and place all their video content in HBO Max.

If we’re going to be real here, this is the path they should have taken if they had gotten all their chickens lined up in a row before launching everything.

DC Universe should have been a comics app and all their video holdings should have been leveraged to make Max the best value proposition for their streaming customers.

If you’re a DC Fan, your video content is spread between multiple platforms; DC Universe, Max, and CW. Not at all a cohesive experience for DC fans.

What I think makes the most sense is for AT&T to strip down DC Universe to be a comics app, pull the video content from every other platform as quick as contracts allow, pump up Max, and then cross promote with bundles.

Also, this could be better for DC Universe. Insofar that it would allow them to cut the budget to DC Universe down and cut down the cost for subscription to DC Universe because DC Universe would no longer be responsible for funding new shows; which is very expensive. It would also no longer need to fund bandwidth for video hosting.

It should keep the comics (classic and new both coming in) the encyclopedia, the community board, the exclusive shop, and the rewards program. So, everything it has now; just minus the videos.

But, see, video bandwidth hosting as well as funding new shows is expensive.

The forum wouldn’t take much money and comics are basically image files (modified PDF files; I’m guessing.) None of that is particularly expensive; compared with video hosting and funding new animation and live action content.

Imagine a DC Universe with those financial burdens removed from it. It could focus on the comics; and they could have the price trimmed down even more with a bundle deal with Max.

Max, then, could absorb and shoulder the financial burden of video hosting and new show creation (like it reasonably should.)

Two platforms, one for comics, one for videos; and a value price for DC Fans who want both.

To me, that makes the most sense.

2 Likes

I think they better continue to make new shows here. I can promise you I won’t keep HBOMAX. It will be one of many apps that I subscribe, binge and then drop.

I just dropped Hulu after years of subscribing. The only one that looks safe in my house is Netflix.

I already own most of their HBO original shows on Blu-ray. It’s much more prudent to just buy physical media when the monthly premium is overpriced.

Tell me, what happens when you make your customer angry in the 21st Century?

Some day I’m gonna log in to this site, check out the Community, and not see a thread about what content is missing from DC Universe and/or how DCU is doomed. Sadly, today was not that day.

3 Likes