Hawkman Thread

9gtK

I’ve decided to make another thread on a hero I like and also as a thankyou to @MatthewHecht who’s also a huge fan, Hawkman.
I don’t think there’s any thread on him so this thread will be about his comic Adventures, TV and movies appearance.

Hawkman has been around for many years, my favorite Hawkman moment was when he was on Smallville. :grinning:

:00_hawkman:

8 Likes

Very sweet! Have you read the recent Venditti Hawkman series? I was blown away by how much I loved it!

6 Likes

Not yet, but will put it on my reading list. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes

slides over a ton of Cool Points to @Lincolnfan78 for the gif he used

Filmation Hawkman is (in the words of MC Hammer) 2 Legit 2 Quit, my friend. :+1:t2:

I love Hawkman. He’s been a favorite of mine since I was 7, or thereabouts.

This is the very first Hawkman comic I had as a kid:

One day when I was in first grade, my dad surprised me after school with that book and this one:

Just a couple random back issue bin finds he came across at the comic store while I was in school, and thought I’d like.

Needless to say, I’ve had both books for 32 years and change, so I do indeed like them and then some. You can’t beat two randomly chosen books picked by a parent, especially when both issues were instrumental in building your respective Hawkman and Swamp Thing fandoms (I was already a Superman fan by the time I got DC Comics Presents #85 :wink:).

6 Likes

3 Likes

I also made Pat Dugan thread as well, hope you check that out too. :grinning:

3 Likes

Along with Hawkman Special #1, I got this guy as an Easter gift in 1990 (my Year of Hawkman, it would seem):

I still have him, however his mace went missing sometime in the mid to late '90s.

This is the best modern Hawkman figure from the best modern DC toy line:

I don’t care what anyone says, I enjoyed The Savage Hawkman. Its certainly not what Venditti’s Hawkman is, but it is a fun ride all the same, and I’ll always be onboard/support a new Hawkman ongoing.

5 Likes

Still have my original 4 issues of The Shadow War of Hawkman, part of the classic 7 comics that started me on my journey.

In 2019 I got to meet Tony Isabella and have him sign my #1.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I like Hawkman for a couple superficial reasons:

• He looks badass.
  • Nostalgia related to childhood with Super Powers figures.

I think I read the entire Savage Hawkman run during New 52. I remember liking but not loving it, only to discover that it wasn’t liked by many.

I read the first 12 issues of Venditti’s run. Again, I liked it / didn’t love it, but that’s usually the case with me and Venditti’s writing. I think what I may have liked the most is the origin he gave Hawkman before he became immortal. I plan on revisiting the series here on the app at some point.

6 Likes

With @Razzzcat as the first DC Community member of the month, one of her book choices is Legend Of Hawkman…

I’ve never read the book before and it look like a great book to read! :smiley:

If you haven’t already, be sure to checkout and see @Razzzcat other book picks at DC Universe Infinite app!:slightly_smiling_face::books:

6 Likes

cough Future JLBC read, FYI. cough

4 Likes

Hey @Lincolnfan78! Great thread! This one was my crash-course intro to :00_hawkman: the Hawks, so that’s mostly why I went with it. A doable length too—hope you enjoy it! :purple_heart:

Okay. Just gonna leave this here…

5 Likes

Those Mikel Janin covers were so gorgeous. I love the series we got…but I miss it. Wish I’d jumped on board sooner.

6 Likes

Same.

5 Likes

So far I’m enjoying reading it, I just imagine it as it was a movie. :grinning:

3 Likes

The Geoff Johns run on Hawkman is iconic.

4 Likes

That was one of my early exposures to Johns. I bought some random issues of his Hawkman at Half Price Books in 2003, and I really dug it.

Of course, about a week later, I started to dig into Johns’ Teen Titans and Flash and, well…his Hawkman went on the backburner for mumbles a few years. :smile:

I’ve since read Johns’ Hawkman in-full however, and it is quite good.

4 Likes