Have We Met?

Thank you sir. One last thing, then I’ll let you go. At the top of this thread, you display a cover scene from an early issue of World’s Finest. Was this the first time (as far as you know) that a “high-5” was ever given on a DC cover?

4 Likes

Has Damian Wayne ever gotten to meet his aunt, Nyssa al Ghul/Raatko?

Thanks @DC89 for the inspo on this!

4 Likes

Have Catwoman ever met Cheetah? I may have ask this before, but forgot the answer. Thankyou.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

They don’t have any dialogue with each other, but they appear in a cutscene in LEGO DC Super-Villains. Beyond that, I don’t know, probably.

3 Likes

This is one hell of a question. I had to check every DC published cover between 1935 and 1946 to verify, and the answer is… kind of! Only because, well, this isn’t even technically a high five, but Batman and Superman both jumping for a basketball.

3 Likes

Nyssa was rather unceremoniously killed off in Robin #148, about 4 months before Damian appeared in Grant Morrison’s Batman #655, and hasn’t appeared in continuity since.

Sure! A good place to start would be Catwoman #78:

More recently, in the 2019 DC Super Hero Girls animated series, Catwoman and Cheetah are depicted as rivals.

3 Likes

:smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

Cool, Thankyou. :grinning:

3 Likes

I didn’t even realize that. I guess I figured that w/ her appearances in Arrow, Gotham and Arkham Knight, she’d have at least somewhat of a presence in the comics in the last 15-20 years. She definitely needs a comeback

3 Likes

Guess I should’ve known better. High 5s really weren’t "a thing " back then.
Thanks for lookin’ into it, though!

3 Likes

Agreed @arkhamassassin. Would love to see her as a BatFamily member on call to help deal with R’as based issues when they arise. Plus it would be nice for Damian to have some more bloodline fam members around who can bring perspective on the al Ghul legacy and temper Grampa and Talia’s negative influence on him.

Nyssa Raatko

7 Likes

As consolation, here’s the first handshake to appear on the cover of a DC Comic!

4 Likes

I disagree with this! Also, in the comics, it should be stressed that Nyssa is even more of a straight-up supervillain than Talia ever was.

4 Likes

Hmm. :thinking:

Y’know, for a time there, this former B’Man sidekick was running across rooftops in the dead of night gunning down drug kingpins and taking over their rackets. Sure, his actions were in part claimed by him as an attempt to control crime in Gotham, but he still allowed the dope sales to continue. And stacked up a considerable amount of :heavy_dollar_sign: while doing so.

RedHood-2016

This very determined crime family daughter used to wage a one-woman killing crusade on the leaders of the city’s seedy organized crime syndicate. She racked up quite a few kills with that crossbow of hers while she was at it as well.

And when it comes to affairs of the heart, Batman has a very storied history of hookups with this jewel thief. In fact, the details of their on again/off again romance has been a big to do in the entertainment news pages as of late.

Oh, and while we’re on the subject of B’Man, let’s not forget that the Dark Knight himself used to smoke some of the baddies that he’d encounter during his fledgling superhero days.

BATMAN001-Gun

So, my point is is that while someone may have a checkered past, there’s always room for redemption, especially in the BatFamily. I mean, @HubCityQuestion- are you saying that it’s impossible for comics side Nyssa to have a change of heart and decide to get on the path to crime fighter righteousness? Isn’t it possible via some insightful writing that Nyssa (after whatever process of resurrection is employed) could experience a paradigm shift in her values set and see the larger picture, especially where the welfare of her nephew Damian is concerned? I would certainly love for this to happen, and hopefully the B’Man writing team will take a page from the Arrowverse and make it happen. Both Supes’ and B’Man’s comics storylines have seen changes in the foundations of their narrative structure by way of some nifty ideas that came from the writers both of their film and TV incarnations. I’m pretty sure that the same thing can happen for Auntie Nyssa.

arrow-katrina-law

3 Likes

Not at all. What I’m saying is that I don’t want to write off Talia as a bad influence. Fundamentally she cares about what’s best for him. See Son of the Demon, to show what Denny, Talia’s creator, thought of her relationship to her son, before Morrison came in and made Talia a vessel for their own unresolved feelings about their parents’ divorce.

3 Likes

Then it seems unnecessary on your part to have included your take on Nyssa’s in comic persona in the first place.

I’ve read the story. I understand the implications.

2 Likes

All I meant was that a Nyssa redemption arc for the purpose of creating a positive influence in Damian’s life is a long way around just redeeming Talia.

2 Likes

Bruce Wayne & Selina Kyle
6a00e54ee7b6428833016767a1a802970b-500wi
Max: Bruce, meet Selina Kyle.
Bruce: Yeah we met.

Selina: Have we?
Bruce: You know what I’m sure @HubCityQuestion can tell us when we first met.

Not counting Batman & Catwoman, when did Bruce Wayne first meet Selina Kyle?:slightly_smiling_face:
:00_dc_1940:

4 Likes

Great question, RF. The first time Bruce meets Selina out of costume is in 1942’s Batman #15, but not as Selina Kyle – rather, at the time, Catwoman was masquerading as beauty contest entrant “Elva Barr”.

In this early issue, “Elva” ends up falling madly in love with Bruce, and nearly gives up her life of crime to be with him.

4 Likes

That is awesome, Thankyou so much.:grinning:

3 Likes