Have We Met?

He’s literally a teacher.

4 Likes

I’ve already noted this meeting here!

3 Likes

[quote=“wrightline1.42741, post:239, topic:1859964”]Which got me to wondering if any listing has ever been made of the intelligent simians (good and bad) that populate the DC landscape? I suspect there are some, many of us don’t even know about.
[/quote]

There are many ways to interpret “intelligent,” and “simian.” Does Gleek count as an intelligent simian? What about Beppo, the Super-Monkey? For the purposes of this list, I am going to define “intelligent” as “capable of human speech.”

Alphabetically, we’ve got:

• Abu-Gita, a Gorilla City native who attacked Themyscira
  • Allirog, Golden Age enemy of Captain Marvel
  • The Ape Mastermind, another enemy of Golden Age Captain Marvel
  • Bobo T. Chimpanzee, Detective Chimp
  • Boka, fiance of King Solovar
  • Chaaku, one of the apes of Kamandi
  • Congorilla, a fusion of Congo Bill’s mind in a golden gorilla’s body
  • Doctor Zaius, ape R&D scientist for General SamLane
  • Gabby the Monkey, sidekick of Jack Cole’s Midnight
  • Gargantua, enemy of Plastic Man
  • Giganta, Wonder Woman enemy who in some versions of her backstory was a gorilla transformed into a giant human woman
  • Gorbul Mammit, son of Gorilla Grodd
  • Gorilla Boss, Silver Age enemy of Batman
  • Gorilla Gregg, grandson of Gorilla Grodd
  • Gorilla Grimm, enemy-turned-ally of Nightwing
  • Gorilla Grodd, enemy of The Flash
  • Gorilla Grodd II, son of Gorilla Grodd
  • The Guardian of the Trees, from the Teen Titans animated episode “The Quest”
  • Jackanapes, enemy of Damian Wayne
  • Kamau, friend of Prince Nnamdi
  • Karmak, another hyper-intelligent ape enemy of Silver Age Batman
  • Killa, mutated enemy of Conner Kent
  • Lorix, “Space Ape” of the Green Lantern Corps
  • Malavar, citizen of Gorilla City
  • Man-Ape, enemy of Captain Comet
  • Mister Stubbs, pirate monkey sidekick to The Monitor
  • Mod Gorilla Boss, enemy of Animal Man, in no way related to Gorilla Boss
  • Monkey Prince, as introduced in this year’s Asian Heritage Month Festival of Heroes Special
  • Monsieur Mallah, enemy of the Doom Patrol
  • Nnamdi, prince of Gorilla City
  • Nzame, super-powered ape of Gorilla City with healing abilities
  • Primat, hench-ape of Morgaine le Fey
  • Pryemaul, Nazi Vampire Ape
  • Ramjam, another Kamandi ape
  • Sam Simeon, son of Gorilla Grodd
  • Sam Simeon II, the “Ape” of “Angel and the Ape”
  • Silverback, military general of Gorilla City
  • Solovar, King of Gorilla City
  • Tiny, another Kamandi ape
  • Tolifhar, leader of the Gorilla Knights
  • Traaka, another Kamandi ape
  • Trafalgo, Gorilla City admiral faithful to Grodd
  • Ugash, sergeant of the ape forces in Kamandi
  • Ulgo, nephew to King Solovar
  • Ultra-Humanite, when using his albino gorilla body
  • Xavier Simon, Bronze Age enemy of Batman in a gorilla body
  • Zolog, Gorilla City general faithful to Grodd
2 Likes

YIKES! Be carfeul what one doth wish for.
Awesome sauce, oh great transcriber of DC trivia!
Seeing Lorix, of the GLC, reminded me of that run-in the Corp had in the 2017 mini-series with the Planet of the Apes. An interesting outside company cross-over to be sure. Wouldn’t you agree?

1 Like

I find crossovers to usually be more interesting in concept than execution, myself. Too much of a clash of styles.

2 Likes

Can’t disagree to much with that. Some things are an awkward fit, to be sure. But if you apply that logic to some comic stories, let’s face it, they simply wouldn’t pass muster. Doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the Batman and Bugs Bunny, does it?

2 Likes

That’s true, too. The clash of styles works better when it leans into comedy, because the hightened ridiculousness serves the message. But Planet of the Apes and Green Lantern, in contrast, both take themselves relatively seriously, but operate at different levels of reality.

3 Likes

You can chalk that meeting up once again to, you guessed it, Scooby-Doo Team-Up – specifically issues #83-84, “Gorilla Warfare!”

3 Likes

Looks like I gotta’ find me some Scooby -Doos! :smiley:

1 Like

Nice work! Do you think Adam the Ape would also classify?

1 Like

Maybe, but I intentionally leave the “America’s Best Comics” characters off of lists like this, since it was never really intended to be part of the DC Universe. (True, the same could be said for the Fawcett characters I use here, but I think the statute of limitations there has expired since I believe everyone involved is no longer with us.)

2 Likes

Understood.

1 Like

They have not. That may have something to do with the fact that they’re separated by 1,000 years in time.

2 Likes

Considering I have battled ancient Egyptians, one of my teammates is a time traveling glory hound, and time travel happens multiple times every single day I do not consider that much of an excuse

1 Like

Sure, but Batman gets around a lot more than most.

3 Likes

Did Red Jack or Mr. Nobody from old Doom Patrol comics every battle other heroes or teams in comics? It seems almost none of their enemies crossover or battle others unless that hero teams up with Doom Patrol. I am curious about most of their villains but figured I had to limit it somewhat.

1 Like

Don’t know if this fits here but your statement made me think, as Batman does a lot of traveling, Time, other universes, the Multiverse, is there a hero or villain he has not yet met or squared off with besides Midnighter? Sticking to main DCU comics to make it easier.

2 Likes

Phantom Lady & Dr. Mid-nite.

In pre-Crisis days she was a member of the Freedom Fighters on Earth-X. After Crisis she and her team became members of the much larger All-Star Squadron. There, I assume she at least met Dr. Mid-nite. And while I don’t recall them sharing any time together, doesn’t mean they didn’t. So, my dear HCQ, did they ever share an adventure?

1 Like

All-Star Squadron #2

The page is cut off as they shake hands in the next panel.

She stays with the team to the end of issue #3 and leaves at the start of issue #4 and comes back later.

3 Likes

Thanks CY. Just one more reason I’d love to see All-Star Squadron collected in TPBs, or a run of DC Archive Editions!. But, maybe that’s to much to hope for. By the way, anybody out there know if DC is still publishing those?

2 Likes