Has the Justice League Ever Been Close to Gender Equality?

I really want some comics about Nia. Honestly I would prefer a solo series, but anything at all would be amazing :pray:

(just realized this thread is a year old wow)

3 Likes

Since this topic came alive again.

It is now 2020 and nothing has changed. (Except having even fewer female led titles)

This is from a comic about the society that defeated a regime who believed that some people are better than others.

Yes, that’s 25% women again. You know. Some people are just better than others I guess, or that is the image that is being sent year after year. Generation after generation. Even in an elseworld where they could choose any characters they wanted.

That’s it. That’s the post. Even in comics about people fighting the supremacy of white men, DC shows that white men are the ones to handle it.

But you know, maybe 2021 is the year it changes.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Since the thread is back to life…

I think a huge part of the problem is that, unless you nibble around the edges and dig up a bunch of obscure female characters (which, then, people complain that “this isn’t the Justice League”), it looks like the team was selected based on which women were available or that the team is mostly second-stringers like sidekicks and replacements. That’s not a defense, by any means, but rather trying to make the point that the problem runs much deeper than the most famous team. DC, a company that spent decades portraying girlfriends as stereotypical nagging mothers instead of human beings, could stand to spend a year (or twenty) almost exclusively beefing up representation, from the management on down to the reader outreach. Adding women to the Justice League might be a good step, to raise the profile of a character, but it’s not the entire solution, unfortunately.

As to the original question, here’s the one case I’m aware of when the team (depending on how you define the “team”) represented women: Justice League of Amazons.

2 Likes

Holy. Thank you for your input and that link! Nice to see that it has happened and… a Supergirl comic I haven’t read is a very very rare find for me these days. :heart:

2 Likes

Also look up JLA: Created Equal (sadly not on the app, but copies aren’t too hard to find on eBay)

And there’s a moment in Wonder Woman 600 where Diana assembles what is basically an all female Justice League

2 Likes

I made a thread a long time ago about how there could be an all female Legion of Doom thats as formidable as the original-

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/an-all-female-legion-of-doom/1019019/5

-and thats easily true of the heroes. Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Power Girl, Vixen, Hawkgirl, Jessica Cruz, Big Barda, Supergirl, Raven, Starfire, Miss Martian, Batwoman, Black Canary, Jesse Quick, Batgirl, etc.

3 Likes

The Bombshells comic is 100% female hero universe. their costumes are based on the '30s and 40’s pinup art, girls like wendy the welder which wonder woman outfit is based on.

1 Like

I don’t think we’ve ever seen a superhero team where the males didn’t outnumber the females. As outdated and chauvinist as it may seem this goes back to the earliest myths of heroes and heroines. It is just how it always was, the guys ran into danger and risked it all to save the damsel, or save the world or punish the evildoers. The first Black Canary existed only so the Justice Society wouldn’t be a sausage fest. Lois Lane (admittedly not a hero) was created so Superman had someone to save all of the time. Wonder Woman, part of the Trinity and thus a founding member of the Justice League is probably the alpha of the pack, being as she and not Superman or Batman, would kill if necessary. I’d like to see a series where several of the top female heroes of DC form a group. Maybe had Hippolyta join up and fight beside her daughter.

2 Likes

-deleted-

Birds of Prey a relatively mainstream team, generally also an all-female team, dependent on when you pick it up the title. heavy hitters who were on the team before flashpoint were big Barda who is a match for wonder woman and power girl. birds of prey were also a single-season tv series again with an all-female lineup.

2 Likes

Yes, cause if white men aren’t the ones making the change, then are they really handling it? Sounds to me like that’s just beating them up. If a group of people don’t make a change themselves the issue will never be solved.

All of the male characters y’all keep calling out are extremely popular. GA, GL, Batman, Superman, The Flash, etc. are all some of the most popular DC heroes.

The group in that 25% photo shows two different teams. It makes sense for the JSA to mostly comprise of men, because those are who mostly fought in World War 2. Not saying women didn’t fight. The contributed above and beyond the call of duty like their male counterparts. But all of the men on the JL team are incredibly popular superheroes.

Equality of representation makes sense from a story telling perspective but not a character perspective. The heroes don’t stop and say “Is this justice league fully representing everyone? Let’s go find more people. We can stop Darkseid later.”

I’m not saying there shouldn’t be equal representation. There definitely should be. But people need to support their favorite representatives if they really want it to become more equal.

That’s why most of these comics are ending. All of the superheroes I listed before are incredibly popular, like I said. But SG just hasn’t garnered the same amount of sales as Superman. Same with several other characters.

I can’t remember who just said Lois was created as someone for Clark to save. But that’s a load of nonsense. She is a do-it-yourself woman who doesn’t need anyone. She was independent from the get go. An inspirational woman who people could look to. She overcame every obstacle and threw herself into danger because she was much more brave than any other reporter. If this was a save the day and get the girl story, then why did Lois reject him every single time?

Yes, there should be representation. But not at the expense of good storytelling or of other fans.

I’m sure people will be kind of mad at me and quick to respond. But that’s how I feel about this particular topic and that’s all I’m going to say.

1 Like

However, i really think original power rangers as much as i hate to say this Pre Tommy Oliver(favorite ranger) got the ratio of men to woman right 3 men 2 women enough women that it’s hard to make it dirty if that makes sense.