Harley's Crew

Absolutely, much better than Roku (which I’ve had for ages). It’s what I’ve always wanted, it combines all of your streaming services into one unified thing. The “For You” section will recommend stuff based on your account and the services you subscribe to. Or, just as an example, I watched The Witches on HBO Max and marked that I watched and liked it, in the interface, now it recommends me other witchy movies in a section “If you liked The Witches” from my other services like Hulu and Netflix and Disney+. It’s awesome!

5 Likes

I’m intrigued. What’s the price for it? I’m seeing different models/prices on Google and Amazon.

4 Likes

Also, if you have an Amazon FireStick, you can subscribe to the HBO Max “Channel” on Prime Video, which gives you full HBO Max access via your FireStick.
I prefer the FireStick to the Google Chrome Cast, because with the FireStick, you do not need your computer, whereas with the Chrome Cast, you need your computer, because it is essentially a comptuer wireless display adapter for your TV.

5 Likes

It should just be $49.99, I got mine at Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chromecast-with-google-tv-4k-snow/6425976.p?skuId=6425976

I got the white version, but it also comes in pink and blue. You won’t see the thing itself, but the remote matches the color.

Also, it gives you free YouTube Premium for I think 3 months.

5 Likes

Interesting, very interesting. So, do you still use your Roku or did the new Chromecast replace it?

4 Likes

The Roku is on another small bedroom TV, but our new 4K TV we got for Thanksgiving has the Google TV and everyone is enjoying it a lot! Can’t wait to watch Wonder Woman 1984 in 4K and Dolby Vision, which this little box supports!

5 Likes

No computer needed. You can set up your Google TV using the Google Home app on your phone. It’s super fast.

5 Likes

My only hesitation in getting Chromecast (which I’ve thought of for a while) is that after HM is available on Roku (I’m 100% sure it will be by the 25th, especially if they worked out a deal with Amazon recently), it would then become redundant and not needed any longer due to Roku having the service along with my not needing two things that are essentially the same.

Still, I’ll keep it mind. Thanks for the info. :clark_hv_4: :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Sure, you’re welcome! I suggest watching some reviews on YouTube so you can see the interface in action. That’s the advantage it has over Firestick or Roku, it’s a completely different idea. Once you download your streaming apps and sign into them, that’s when the Google TV really shines, like I said. If the personalized recommendations from all of your services on one screen aren’t that big of a deal and you’ll just be going from app to app, which you can also do here, then it’s not as big of a deal. But I like seeing the recommendations and you can also search for movies and it shows you which of your services you can watch it on, if any. It’s really cool!

6 Likes

That’s the thing, I rarely get use out of recommendations and don’t mind app-hopping.

Is Google Home necessary for the new Chromecast? I’ve used it before, so I don’t mind it. I’ve just been wanting to cut down on apps I don’t/may not use too often.

Are there any good YouTube reviews of it you’d recommend? There’s a gillion tech channels there, but only a few of them have something worthwhile to say.

5 Likes

Gotcha, I find them useful. Google also knows me well, since my YouTube recommendations, especially for music, are so spot on. I’ve discovered so many amazing artists and songs soley thanks to the infamous YouTube algorithm,

Google Home is really only needed for the initial set up. You can delete it after. Or you can do the set up manually, but I’m not sure what’s needed for that.

For reviews, I’ve watched a few, here’s a couple:

4 Likes

Thank you kindly. I will absolutely check those reviews out.

4 Likes

Huh… they must have improved the Chromecast! When I got my FireStick about a year ago, I bought a Chromecast first, and the way it worked is that you needed to use your computer or your phone to access the content, and then the Chromecast was the link that allowed you to “cast” the screen of your computer or phone to the TV. It sounds like they made the new version like the Firestick, where it plugs into your TV and connects directly to the internet? It’s basically a little streaming/media computer that uses your TV as its moniter.

5 Likes

Actually, the Firestick has this, too. Once you sign in, the interface looks similar to other streaming services, and you add “Channels” and “Apps” to your account. Once you do this, you will see recommendations from your different apps and channels as subheadings like in other streaming services, so it’s all in once place. For instance, there are apps and channels for: YouTube app, Vudu, Netflix, HBO Max, Showtime, etc.

4 Likes

Right but Google TV takes it a step further, you can see it better in the videos above, maybe I’m not doing a great job explaining it. Like there will be a category of Romance Movies, and it’s all movies Google thinks I’d like from all of my services like Hulu, Disney+, etc. Meaning I don’t need to check each individual app for their recos, everything is combined into one thing.

5 Likes

I think I get you, it sounds like Google TV breaks down the lists into categories and culls from all of your different services (called Channels & Apps in Fire TV) and combines them under the genre subheadings, whereas with Fire TV, it is the services that make the subheadings.

6 Likes

Just stopped by to drop off this super cool image of old timey Kate for @Mae and @TheKateKane cuz I :purple_heart: you both. :smiley: #GirlBatsGottaStickTogether

8 Likes

Yup, you said it better than I tried to :laughing:

5 Likes

:hugs: :purple_heart:

6 Likes

thank you! :smile::purple_heart:

7 Likes