Harley's Crew

Discovery chief Zazlav greeting the Discovery brass this morning like

7 Likes

I can’t escape this story…my gaming community was talking about it in the general discussion and someone posted some truly damning past statements from Zaslav Palpatine. I’m horrified that this person now holds the reigns to my favorite characters.

6 Likes

I just read this… They are speculating, but it’s still frightening to read… What statements have you heard from Zaslav Palpatine, @Angel212 ??

5 Likes

Why do they think people will keep subscribing to HBO Max when all of the content is getting canceled, with nothing to replace it for years down the line? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Agreed, @iJest !!! I’m only there for the Harley Quinn, Doom Patrol, & Peacemaker series… Any films I might want to watch, I either own on Blu-ray or could access elsewhere for cheaper than subscribing to HBO Max. This is terrible.

5 Likes

This also likely means we’ll NEVER see the new Swamp Thing series that has been in the planning!!! :sob:

4 Likes

Well I should clarify, the people posting this info just put up screengrabs and that’s really all I read. I don’t feel comfortable putting those up without context, so I sought out the original article they come from (which I only skimmed just now).

But here are the quotes in question. Again, probably looks worse just because it’s presented this way, but still…

’they hope for a future where programming decisions are made with data in mind. In that future, schedules will be optimized with input from algorithms, and computers will
help creatives spot viewing trends’

’And Fox News? "Well, that’s not a cable network. That’s a political advocacy project, a damn good one.’

’Scripted drama? Please. “It’s like
a kids’ soccer game-everyone saw something that worked and started chasing the ball. It’s way too expensive.”’

And of course there’s this. I mean, did these words leave his mouth? Does he realize what that sounds like? :angry:

6 Likes

Translation: BATGIRL CAN’T BE BLACK.

:unamused:

5 Likes

You know, I’d like to push back against that a little… It’s not necessarily racism if someone dislikes it when a character to whom they are attached in comics has their race changed in a film or live action series. I think sometimes it’s simply frustration that the character doesn’t look how they have looked historically. This did bother me with Batgirl, and I was equally annoyed when the Animated Series & one of the Batman films gave Catwoman blonde hair. I think attachment plays a big part, too, because I never really cared much for Deadshot, and I loved Will Smith’s rendition and thought he made a much better Lawton than any of the comic versions.

She’s hispanic, right? But either way, yeah, person of color…and that’s definitely how he made it sound. :rage:

4 Likes

Grace is mix. :+1:

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize! Thanks for the info. The point is we deserved to see her Batgirl regardless of her heritage. :+1:

4 Likes

Why push back against a final product that hasn’t been seen yet? Y’know, the DC fandom completely lost their ish when Keaton was cast as B’Man. It was indeed deep- I know 'cuz I was there when it happened. Fast forward to present day and Keaton is considered a legend of the live action cowl. When anchors like attachment to an interpretation of a character weigh one down they miss out on the opportunity to flourish within the environs of a bold and engaging new take on the character.

I’d rather be on the boat for the journey instead of missing it. Yep.

5 Likes

#Fact

:triumph: :fist_right: :fist_left: :raised_hands: :muscle: :00_batgirl1:

5 Likes

Gal Gadot doesn’t have blue eyes or black hair but they let her play Wonder Woman. Skin color is just as arbitrary as eye and hair color, but unfortunately society has conditioned us to believe otherwise.

6 Likes

I’m not asking anyone to agree with me, I’m just saying that for me, it’s not racist. I don’t like some casting choices for a variety of reasons, and when I get attached to a character, there appearance gets set for me in a way. On the flip side of it, I would be annoyed if they cast a white guy as Cyborg or Vibe, and like I said, it annoyed me when Catwoman had blonde hair. Gal Gadot, for whatever reason, looked enough like Wonder Woman and acted the part well, so I liked her. I’m not saying this is logical. I also couldn’t watch the Birds of Prey TV series, because I hated Mia Sara at Harleen. I also didn’t like Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, but in this case, I thought she looked great in the part, and she is hands-down an amazing actress, but her mannerisms and the way she spoke just didn’t work for me… I would have likely given the Batgirl film a shot, I just felt conflicted from the clips I’d seen.

2 Likes

IKR? :smile:

6 Likes

I think that because there is so much hatred out there, we sometimes react and make assumptions from a place of pain before allowing space for other possibilities… and when this happens, communication and connection are shut down before any chance for understanding. I get it; I identify as Queer. There is just too much division out there… maybe if we slow down and try to make curiosity our first reaction, we could make the world a little bit friendlier.

2 Likes

Okay, just dropping in real quick to thank everybody in Harley’s Crew for being super awesome. There’s been a lot of bad stuff in the past few days and you all have helped keep me from completely melting down.

I appreciate it.

7 Likes

So far, I haven’t heard any rumors about WW3 getting the axe. I would like to hope they are not dumb enough to cancel a movie from one of their most acclaimed and most popular franchises. …But who knows with this crew…

Yeah, I was out all day, but needed a break from that thread, anyway. The haters are hating.

We are now in the darkest timeline… Sorry Razz! We tried to hold it all together! :laughing:

6 Likes