Harley's Crew Book Club, Weeks 5 & 6 : Heroes In Crisis (Issues 1-4)

And Louis Lane in a TShirt!!!

I can think of PLEANTY of things I would want her to do, and not a single one of them is anywhere NEAR appropriate to share here!

4 Likes

Wow, this is so interesting. The confessionals are great. I never considered heroes to have that kind of vulnerability, It’s great to see that written into the storyline. I don’t know what to add that wasn’t already said, can’t wait to get started on the next 5 books.

3 Likes

Agreed – Clay Mann is an amazing artist, so looking forward to what he’ll do with King on Batman/Catwoman. :smiley: His Harley is pretty spectacular too – hoping she’ll show up at some point in the series.

Oh, and if you want more of Mann drawing Harley and Ivy, I would check out the Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death mini-series written by Amy Chu.

Agreed, I really like that as an “explanation” of Roy’s addiction – I mean, when you think about just how much pain and punishment the body has to go through when you do the kind of thing that these heroes do, it’s amazing that more of them aren’t doped up on painkillers.

If you want so more Booster, I would recommend checking out the 2006 series that started with Geoff Johns writing. That’s where the “Greatest Hero You Never Heard Of” thing comes from, with Booster going across the timestream correcting problems in time and stopping paradoxes, really great stuff.

Barbara definitely has some great moments in these few issues.

That is definitely a beautiful page, love the gradual move from Harley’s hands clenched in fists to enclosing them in Batgirl’s.

3 Likes

I’ll be back later to add more, but wanted to add a couple things to start: the scene w/ Harley and Batgirl is hands down one of my favorites in the series. It’s brief, but I love everything about it.

Actually I liked this BG page as well #neverforget!

All the therapy sessions are great! I know I’m biased here, but :balance_scale: Wonder Woman. I get you, Diana. It’s definitely hard to talk about our fears and pain when we know others have it worse than us. :purple_heart:

I don’t know how Harls managed to snatch the lasso, but :clinking_glasses: to her! Maybe Diana let her take it? Did Harley just want a hug from the majestic Amazon lady or did she always plan to take the lasso and escape? It’s Harley—we’ll never technically know.

6 Likes

Ps. @hashtag-goodtobejo can’t says I blame ya for Lois. I mean…it’s Lois. She’s just generally awesome, so I :heart: her anyway, but I approve of the t-shirt panel! :laughing:

5 Likes

Quite possibly one of the most impactful collection of panels that I’ve read in a long time. BTW- loving the #neverforget hashtag @Razzzcat. :purple_heart:

Love this sooo much as well-

4 Likes

:fist::purple_heart:

3 Likes

It’s interesting to see everyone loving some of these pages, because one of the key complaints I’ve heard people say about this series, and one I can see the argument for in certain cases, is oversexualization in the story. I’ve seen people hate on the Batgirl page because to them it looks more like someone stripping, or people focus more on the ass shots in the scene of Harley and Batgirl in the hall of mirrors.

Another scene I’ve seen people hate on was the scene of Harley facing off against the Trinity and escaping. Hearing other people talk about it, you would think that Harley single-handedly beat all three of them at the same time, but in reality she used distraction and deception to escape from their grasp, which I thought was done rather well.

3 Likes

Really? I’ve not heard that, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much (I can’t be everywhere! lol) From a position of someone who may have never experienced trauma or PTSD (or any real hardship in life), I’d understand them only seeing a woman’s “rear”, but she’s only taken off her BELT too, sooo :roll_eyes: I think those people’s minds are in the gutter during a truly meaningful scene (w/ important history)—their loss, I guess…just my take, tho. :v: @DC89 got anything to add here?

As for Harley w/ the Trinity, I agree. :100: it was done really well. I have seen a few people complain, but they obviously weren’t paying attention and are the types who expect everything to pander to them. To those people I say: let’s be adults. You don’t always get your way irl…and more Myrtle Snow :laughing:
imageits bad for your skin! :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

:pray: thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah.
At least 20% of the reason I read comic books is that I appreciate beautiful women…like REALLY appreciate beautiful women and even though I enjoy some overtly sexualized books (*cough *cough Money Shot) I haven’t seen anything over done in any of these issues.

The way I saw this is that they did actually allow her to escape. There was the part where Superman says to Batman that she beat him and Batman’s response is that he let her…I think that was true. They don’t really believe Harley killed everyone and want to keep an eye on her as she tries to figure it out.

When it comes to Pop Culture more often than not people confuse critique with criticism…and let’s face it:
Some people just can’t have nice things.

2 Likes

Totally understandable. I mean, I’m not blind! :smile: I see these things too, and I can appreciate them. I guess what I should add is: how much I notice depends on the story.

In this case (BG) its secondary to the narrative for me (and you), so I don’t entirely understand ONLY seeing a sexualized character when there’s waaay more than that happening…but that’s just us :woman_shrugging:t2: Some people just don’t want to let stories in, maybe? Plus I think the artwork is beautiful, and I consider it all very tasteful. There’s that too. :wink: What wasn’t retracted, that is!

4 Likes

And don’t get it twisted, I’m much the same way – I can enjoy and appreciate cheesecake and that kind of art. Hell, I’m really looking forward to the Batman/Catwoman maxi-series partly because of Mann’s amazing, dynamic, and often sexy art.

The point I’ve seen made, that I can understand, is that at times it might not be the best fit for this more serious, introspective murder mystery dealing with the trauma, pain, and mental struggle of these super-powered people.

That’s it really, I was just curious to see what you guys thought of that aspect, especially since it came up with Terry Dodson’s art during the first reading of the 00s Harley series. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

True! Few things worse than miss matched artwork (or just awful artwork! :grimacing:) I do agree, I just really didn’t feel that way while reading this series. I saw it :eyes: but, like…immediately forgot about it—if that makes sense. Aside from Supes & Lois, that is! lol​:ok_hand:

4 Likes

Heh, that one I think is probably the most egregious, because we have a couple who are both reporters, arguing about whether it’s ethical to post these very personal and intimate videos of heroes letting their hearts out in Sanctuary, and it starts with Lois posed seductively in a big Superman shirt like it’s her Team Building Exercise '99 shirt and it’s Business Time. :laughing:

3 Likes

Totally! It works for the scene, but (for BG) we’re supposed to be looking at her scars, and that’s what I’m focussed on.

3 Likes