:harleys_crew: Harley’s Crew: Music & Art Therapy

@Mae :eyes: Say no more! I had started it, but haven’t had a chance to sit down to finish. ON IT!
Just thought of another track…and tagging @discordia57 now, because they could likely have something to add. :sunglasses:

Pssst @Hiraeth :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Awesome! Belly dancing is beautiful, imo. I did some for a while, actually. Note to everyone: it’s harder than it looks.:purple_heart:

10 Likes

I have a friend who belly dances at my local Renn Faire and various street festivals in our area. There’s a Greek Restaurant where every other Friday some other local dancers along with her go to dance and a friend and I sometimes go to eat dinner and watch. It honestly feels like a nice spiritual cleanse, just being around a bunch of woman dancing and listening to the music, it’s like being blessed by a tribe you surround yourself with. I don’t know how much you may know about the history of belly dancing, but Iknow that once I was taught about it, it enhanced my perspective and appreciation for it.

Agreed. I took a six week beginner’s class from one of my dancer friends and yep, my legs would not stop shaking for a few days after day 1 :sweat_smile:, but I would recommend the learning experience for anyone.

7 Likes

I don’t know much and always want to know more!

7 Likes

In many cultures, especially around the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia regions, belly dancing was taught to girls from about the age of 10-12 and would continue to be taught from the women in their tribes, and then they would pass this down to the next generation of daughters. This was because belly dancing strengthens the abdominal muscles, which would help the girls’ bodies prepare for their periods, intimacy, and child birth when the time would come along, because they didn’t have modern day medicine. Because belly dancing was considered to be a passage into womanhood for young girls, men were forbidden to even watch, and I believe that it’s possible that men were killed if they were caught watching. Of course, this all changed once belly dancing made its way into America, New York specifically, when women would perform public shows in theaters. I hear that to this day some countries do have a prejudice against American belly dancers, but I do suppose that it’s understandable.

As for the helping with periods part, I can confirm from personal experience that it does help… and my mind was blown :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

That’s really fascinating, thank you. I should endeavor to look into it more!

7 Likes

IKR! That was the basic Sparknotes version, and how it was explained to me years ago.

6 Likes

I know I’ve upped this before but it’s just so wonderful that I’mma post it again. #Boop

:00_harlivy: :00_harlivy: :00_harlivy:

10 Likes

LMFAOOOO I laughed SO hard! :rofl::skull:

:sushi::full_moon_with_face:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Time for a rando cat/sushi gif, y’all. :wink: It’s ‘art’ and funny—therefore therapy. You’re welcome. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

They didn’t let go. :rofl:

7 Likes

gasp :heart_eyes_cat::bento::purple_heart:

7 Likes

:laughing: :chipmunk::purple_heart::cat2::sushi:

8 Likes

:laughing: :purple_heart:

7 Likes

I’ve had this in my head all day, so now its here!

Side note: The quote at the beginning is from a great indie film (one id recommend depending on the person :eyes:) Cement Gardens. Anyway. Enjoy. :harleys_crew: :black_heart:

8 Likes

And here’s a thing. Awww :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :00_harlivy:
After the Lego WAL, and this, I’ve decided Ivy needs a motorcycle. :sunglasses::green_heart:

8 Likes

YES.

C6kGmQLWcAAtu-v

6 Likes

Action Ivy!

5 Likes

:smiley: :00_poison_ivy: :ivy_kiss:

7 Likes

I love these so very much, lovely @DC89 (with a new look and hairdo!) :hugs:

5 Likes