Harley’s Crew | Book Club | Pride Spotlight: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy & Coding

Very much so, I think it has some kind of weird stigma as being “unmanly”? BS.

7 Likes

Right, I know explicit nudity is territory they can’t quite get into just like how the c-word is the only curse word that’s censored. I don’t doubt we’ll get more Harlivy intimacy like we did last season, but this thing w/ Batman and Catwoman still needs to be called out, and thankfully plenty of people already have

7 Likes

Double yep on this. Bruce is always effing this situation up. ALWAYS. :flushed:

7 Likes

Lady parts are some kind of kryptonite, I guess. :neutral_face: Had NO idea that’s what I’ve been carrying around all these years :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

DC89 nods her head in agreement

7 Likes

But Superheroes do :grin:

Sorry, it didn’t carry over. Refer back to responded post if you want.

9 Likes

You’re getting a Jason Mamoa!

[Edit]: AND a Harley!

8 Likes

Cool… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’m a super hero now? Sweet.

9 Likes

Alright, pack it up, everyone. This is easily the best comment :laughing: :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

:boom: :raised_hands: Agree @arkhamassassin! :laughing: Thank you for that @gwynerso! :purple_heart:

9 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t know the context for this, but I love it. :smiley:

By the way, started this one by reading the first issue of Gotham City Sirens. Not a whole lot of Harley/Ivy, other than the fact that they were already living together. There’s more of a Catwoman focus, which was pretty interesting. Much like Dini’s other title at the time, Shadows of Gotham, this was more dealing with the aftermath of Dini’s last arc of Detective Comics, Heart of Hush, with Selina still reeling from what happened there. Having that be the empitis of the three working together makes some sense, since Selina has never had the most friendliest of encounters with either character (Selina’s fight with Ivy during No Man’s Land and Selina fighting Harley during Hush comes to mind). The book doesn’t just assume that they’re going to be fast friends, which I think makes things more interesting, fitting with the sort of wrong side of the law the book is going for.

7 Likes

Oh, and here’s something else I’m reminded of that you guys here might like. There’s a great podcast out there called “Comic Book Couples Counseling,” where each month the hosts, a married couple, goes through a specific pairing in the comic book world, reading story arcs that highlight the couple while also exploring a different nonfiction book on the nature of romance as a guide.

Back in April 2020, they did a full month devoted to Harley/Ivy, with most of the books already been covered by Harley’s Crew. I haven’t listened to them yet (I wanted to try to listen to the others first, but I might just skip them for a bit), but here are the links to the episodes:

CBCC #41: Harley/Ivy - The Timm/Dini Mini
CBCC #42: Harley/Ivy - Welcome to Metropolis
CBCC #43: Harley/Ivy - Harley Quinn Road Trip Special
CBCC #44: Harley/Ivy - Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy

In terms of DC they’ve also covered Bat/Cat, Dick/Babs, and Abby/Swamp Thing, with other characters in Marvel and indie titles as well.

So yeah, check them out. :smiley:

8 Likes

That little cutie pixie Harley is from the Very Merry Multiverse, available on DCUI now.

6 Likes

Thank you for the podcast recs! I’ve listened to the first one so far. They spend a LOT of time talking about things that aren’t Harley/Ivy/Batman related but that’s fine, and also gave me some flashbacks from the midst of the pandemic… I do think they did a great job at reviewing the comics and gave a fair and balanced interpretation of these characters. The relationship tips will help me out as well since I’m a relationship n00b.

8 Likes

Awight, I finally started trying to catch up on these comics. I never was a fan of this run –ducks incoming tomatoes, missiles, shoes, and chickens– because it seemed too different from what I was used to at the time. I missed the boat on the New 52. I was familiar with old comics, but took a mental hiatus while I was focusing on college and starting my career, and when I came back to comics everything was all different and I never took a liking to it.

I’m glad that I finally learned the name of Harley’s pet dachshund. Nathan! Nice to finally put a name to that cute face, lol.

Issues #1-3 are… shall we say not my favorite. It’s a combination of the kitschy way they’ve written Harley’s character, the goofiness, and huge cast of characters that barely say anything. I get that this was the brand new start of a run. It’s not really my thing. I did enjoy the alien dialogue.

Issue #8 - Sy Borgman! In a way I have not seen him before :scream_cat: Harley and Ivy’s reactions to the nudist colony were pretty lol-worthy. I just also love the comedic effect of random objects being used to cover nudity. And their conversation about everything Bats might have in his utility belt pouches. I don’t know why, but seeing Ivy playing and having fun is a novelty for me. I guess I’ve mainly seen her serious and composed before. Well, they are on vacation. But… the end is a bit of a downer. Jeeze.

#25 - I know why it was highlighted :kiss:, but then poor Harls had her fun interrupted and has a bit of an extreme reaction :joy_cat: I guess this can be my answer to the folks at DC Comics who try to argue that HQ is a heroic character while forgetting that she’s actually a villain (I will also accept anti-hero). While she does look after innocent and helpless creatures like kids and dogs, she has absolutely no qualms with extreme violence against her enemies. Whereas a heroic character I believe would limit conflict to self-defense and attempts to keep it less-lethal, Harls goes out of her way to seek out those guys and kill them :boom: Which was kind of surprising TBH. She usually goes a funny way with big smashin’ hammers and stuff.

Good selections :+1: I kind of want to see where it’s going even though it isn’t really my bag.

8 Likes

@iJest Happy to see you again!
I had a similar opinion—they felt different, so they took a little adjusting, but I warmed to them pretty quickly. There are good and okay things—Harley’s definitely not an easy character, and so many have gotten her wrong, imo, but I’d say Conner/Palmiotti are a good template for an “all age” comic about Harley.

I enjoyed the whole zombie thing (HQ Rebirth 1-3), but I usually find redemption for some reason when zombies are involved, so …maybe mine isnt the most reliable opinion. :laughing:

Good to know! We’ll be getting back to this soon after some Suicide Squad! :boom: :harleys_crew:

8 Likes

Harley’s panels with Power Girl in HQ and the BOP #1 were just a fantastic read. In fact, Harls’ has got some super funny lines in this book. :laughing:

7 Likes

“The Incredible Batgirl.”: YEAH! :00_batgirl1: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl1:

7 Likes