Harley’s Crew | Book Club | Pride Spotlight: Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy & Coding

First, thank you for that spoiler :joy: ah, good times. Second agree on the “controversy”. I sometimes think these things are manufactured in that “all press is good press” way. :neutral_face: Do these people live under a rock or is it just stirring the pot for the sake of promo? Often seems like the latter.

I learned about it from Wonder Woman :00_wonder_woman_gold: but then, YES, the Joker.

Agree on Lego Batman. I felt vindicated! :laughing:
This is why normalization is important and things like Pride month can’t only happen once a year, though.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. There’s been a significant amount of people talking about “wholesomeness” in (DC) entertainment—wanting everything to be “family friendly” w/o one shred of an explanation as to what they really mean? :woman_shrugging:t2:
I know it’s a business and it has to make money, but there’s a very “out of sight- out of mind” mentality there, and all this hiding just breeds exclusivity and apathy for everything from differing races, to religions, to economics, to languages, to sexuality.

There was a time LGBTIA wasn’t considered “wholesome” or “normal”—hell that time is now. Villains are still queer coded, as a means to placate those looking for “wholesome”—meanwhile, whats also happening, is other people are being told we aren’t acceptable, valued or normal (and aren’t worthy of it…and that’s awful, not wholesome). The only real remedy, imo, is more diverse creators…and :eyes: now I’m the one on a tangent. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love for your tangents @iJest! :purple_heart: Thank you, and I look forward to more! :raised_hands:

10 Likes

True. These are what I consider early days, though, (so I’m in a very wait & see place), but I’ll say this for now: Sure Harley & Ivy are gaining more exposure, but as you said, she’s still partially considered Joker’s GF, and when she’s not there’s often a pilot-device… essence to her or Ivy’s purpose, so its hard to fully get behind that and call it “representative”, when it really just feels gimmicky. (Especially when they abuse :00_dc_pride_bs: and randomly get used as potential love interests) There’s often nothing organic about it—just like Supes and Diana being thrown together, or Babs and Jason kissing. Like, what?! My brain has blocked it all out :laughing: I don’t even want to acknowledge these are things that happened! Lol

I’m looking forward to it tho. Especially all the narrative potential there for Ivy. She’s a main course, not a side dish, DC. :poisonivy_hqas:

8 Likes

You have a point, I didn’t really think about it like that. You may be right! I guess I was thinking aside from the few odd stories here and there (like Black Label) where they’re depicted as still together, in my mind they’ve been “off” since pretty much right after she started appearing in comics. But now I realize that isn’t necessarily true.

That’s what I’m here for! :partying_face:

Yes. I think that drama spurs engagement, and as a media and content-creating company, they want people to talk. The more controversy, the better for sales. It sucks for fans because we constantly see and hear people :poop: on the characters we like.

Super yes, all of this. Quoted for truth.

7 Likes

I must point out that the article above is from Bleeding Cool which prints :poop:.

8 Likes

@iJest And I thank you for it! :purple_heart: :hugs:

:laughing: Okay thats 100% FAIR @msgtv!

8 Likes

What’s more wholesome than love? :purple_heart: :00_dc_pride: :hugs:

8 Likes
7 Likes

@iJest

9 Likes

Agreed @msgtv. Bleeding Cool has always been bantha po doo.

6 Likes

Nice piece!

Not that it really matters, but’s a fun fact & I can’t help it sorry. If human skin contained Chl a, the available surface area provided by it for photosynthesis would only generate about 1% of the energy a motile species would require for it’s daily use. If I remember right you would need to have the surface area of a tennis court. I know it’s a bummer believe me. As someone who is a sci fy fan and fairly heavy into autotrophs it breaks my heart but it would never work, and photosynthesis is already around 99% efficient process.

9 Likes

And, we all know of all the poo’s in the multiverse, bantha po doo is top ten worst.

7 Likes

No, buddy, you’re not a downer at all.

sad harley

8 Likes

:rofl:

7 Likes

I love this fact, are you kidding me? I adore learning more about fauna- but never adverse to learning more science facts in general.

6 Likes

Dude, I literally had the exact same thought. :laughing: Great minds man, great minds.
:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

Thanks for breaking the hearts of millions, @Razzzcat. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

resumes reading the thread, which is immensely entertaining and informative

6 Likes

Also, off but also on topic. Latest issue of Batman. If you’re in this crew, you would find it interesting :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

I’m not reading Batman in singles ATM, but I’m open to spoilers…

6 Likes

There’s Harley, Babs, Bats, Ghostmaker, and Ivy

7 Likes

Must…resist…urge…to…read…Batman…again.

his list is already stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey, as is

6 Likes

….there’s also an absolutely stunning new character who has a connection to Pam

7 Likes