Harley’s Crew | Book Club Wks 33 & 34: Suicide Squad April Fools Special/Harley Quinn 17-19

Hey everybody! Since it’s April Fools this week:
Welcome to “Evil Anonymous”, a new support group for troubled villains, where NO problem is too big or too deranged for Dr. Quinzel to use against you handle. :diamonds:

(Curious what the catch is? :eyes:)
Suicide Squad April Fools Special 1

We’ll also be returning to Harley’s first solo series! When we last left Harley & Ivy, they had moved to Metropolis, and just met Bizzaro. What could possible go wrong? :woman_shrugging:t2:

Harley Quinn (2000) 17-19
(If you missed our previous reading, the entire Metropolis storyline is Issues 14-19)

We’ll spend the first week reading (3/29–4/4), then discuss on the second week (4/5–4/11). Good, bad, or ugly—don’t be shy. Drop your thoughts below when you’re ready!

:harleys_crew: You can join or learn more about Harley’s Crew HERE.

8 Likes

Link to our previous Harley Quinn (2000) reading for anyone who might be interested:

:diamonds:Have you read this arc in Harley’s first solo series?

• Yes
  • No
  • Not yet
0 voters
4 Likes

I tend to love pretty much everything I read DC wise. But all of those SS specials (imho) were awesome :sunglasses:. I’ll need to reread that HQ 17-19 it’s probably been since not long after it came out, since I’ve inhaled that. To go off subject for one second. The new issues of HQ Black + White + Red were delicious :yum:. One of the very 1st panels, with Ivy talking about cornflakes encapsulates why I love the art in those sooo much. I’ll reread those HQs #17-#19 & give some feedback. Spoiler alert. I’m gonna love it :blush:

5 Likes

Ummm…so I just went to read #17-#19. Somehow I’ve never read this comic, period, besides the crossover issues. Underworld Unleashed etc. I can’t believe it. I’m so excited. I read #14-#19 for the full arc. But this is the 1st time ever on here- that I won’t be rereading a book club event!!! I so want to finish em today but I’ll behave. I’ll read #1-#13 & leave the rest for read alongs. :0_harley_quinn: :0_poison_ivy_tas: :0_poison_ivy_bombshells:

7 Likes

The following post was made on April 1st so there may be some Bizarro speaking as Bizarro.ajm08g was here. :superman_hv_4:

Bizarro

Hello there Harley’s Crew. :wave: :sunglasses:

Me so happy you are reading about Bizarro. Will make time to also read the rest of the reading this weekend. :nerd_face:

Me enjoy reading through the Special April Fools book very much. :grin:

Me saw that these panels stuck out very much. :open_mouth:

Adding this to the scary Joker panels collection I’ve seem to been building lately… :fearful: :joker_hv_2:

Also wanted to know if Harley really did have the Evil Anonymous going, but of course I should have known Waller would not give us those details! :sweat_smile:

Well this was fun. Have good weekend Harley’s crew. :clark_hv_4:

4 Likes

:joy: Thank you for this @ajm08g! :purple_heart: Come back anytime, btw.

5 Likes

What did you think @capo-mage? :eyes: @Jay_Kay you were reading this too right?

I totally forgot about the way they landed their apartment :speak_no_evil: talk about blue-humor. Lol

And all our favorite plant needs, of course… :rose:

6 Likes

Ps. @ajm08g will Bizarro be returning!? :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Yep! I’m almost done with the Bizarro issues. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes! And what an entrance Bizarro did have for these stories. :joy:

It was funny seeing Harley’s conscious talk to her every so often and in this instance make sure she knew how to speak to Bizarro. :joy:

Also nice to see Bizarro make so many new friends. :rofl:

It is interesting as the last few stories I have read have been introductions for Superman to Joker in Justice League Totality and then to Harley in this reading. :clark_hv_4:
And the classic logo for Superman! Well done Harley! :superman:

That did almost make sense Superman. :thinking: :superman_hv_4:

Also very interesting conversations between Jimmy and Harley. Jimmy should have also known better after all he and Harley went through to also stand by a whole in the wall in a very tall building. :0_jimmy_olsen: :harley_hv_1:

Thorn versus Ivy was also very interesting, and talk about a Bizarro Harley! :astonished: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

All in all, quite the explosion of a fun reading. :superman_hv_4:

5 Likes

I read it that day & told u I’d never read any of the issues except the crossover issues & didn’t realize it lol. I loved it (surprise) I actually used a ton of things for out of context chaos, fun real adds advertisements etc. so I know what u mean about blue humor. Even when they weren’t being blue I used things for out of context chaos. Are we gonna keep reading this? Cuz it’s literally the 1st thing I haven’t read & I’ll wait & read with the group. But if we aren’t I’ll inhale it.

4 Likes

I read 1-19 just in case we’re gonna keep reading it. I can’t believe I’ve 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 read it b4? I started on the earliest one on here & read everything by year of release. Idk how I missed it or how idk that I missed it? At least I have something to look forward to? :0_harley_quinn:

5 Likes

17-19 was a lot of fun – it was neat to see Harley in such a radically different environment like Metropolis. It’s funny, because of the delay between reading issues, I kinda forgot what Harley’s beef with Jimmy Olsen was. :sweat_smile:

Also, I didn’t quite understand what Ivy’s beef was with Thorn? Was it literally because she also had a plant based name?

5 Likes

No pressure @Jay_Kay :purple_heart: I remembered we were in the middle of it and we had talked about finishing at least this story. Thank you for coming by!

4 Likes

We will be finishing it (for posterity) but we have a couple things lined up for Earth Day, catching up w/ B+W+R and Pride mixed in to that, so totally up to you if you’re all right w/ waiting. I understand if you’d rather just git it dun! You can always come by when we do read them to share your thoughts. :purple_heart: We love when you come hang out @capo-mage :raised_hands: :hugs:

5 Likes

Awww… I love hanging out with this group too!!! Ok, I’ll probably wait & read em with the group. @Jay_Kay since I read 1-14 yesterday & it’s fresh on my mind. Thorn snuck into Harley’s slumber party & tried to take some of them out. Than in #14-#19 Ivy had finally gotten her & I believe there was some jealousy, or remarks about her name, lol.

5 Likes

Sounds like a plan! :hugs: See you then!

…err…I’ll see you before then, so: See you there!

4 Likes

Yes indeed u will :grin:. I was so tempted to inhale those today, but there’s tons of other options to hold me over. Plus I’ll get to discuss while it’s fresh in my brain…

4 Likes

Okay, I’m back! Time for :boom: :00_suicide_squad2: Suicide Squad:

I liked this issue a lot. Didn’t know where it was going (even tho I :100: should have, lol!!) I liked that Harley really believed she could help people again, and wanted to go back to her Doctor duties. This scene w/ Man-Bat was great:

The art during the therapy sessions was fun, and changed gears in a good way—Harley’s cartoon version of everything, how she understands/sees her fellow bad guys. I dig it :+1::

Then things take a turn :eyes: and I loved everything about it. Points for not going down w/o a fight, Harls :muscle:, but also for this (very relevant to a Madhouse discussion from yesterday about “perspective”) scene w/ the Justice League:

Then we see what’s really going on, and I think: I should’ve known Waller was up to something! Of course this isn’t real and is only a way to understand/manipulate the team! I’ve mentioned this wasnt my first impression of Waller and while I enjoy this version, would like to see the character a touch less shady once in a while. Also OUCH! That contraption looked painful af. :grimacing: :purple_heart:

Anyone else check it out?? :eyes: See, this is when I need @TheCosmicMoth to talk SS w/ me! :wink: Hey Moth!!

4 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to it @capo-mage !! :raised_hands: :hugs: Do you have a favorite HQ series?

3 Likes