Harley’s Crew | Book Discussion: Harleen 1-3

Hi @Vroom! :smile: I hope you get a chance to read it soon. It really is excellent -promise! :green_heart::seedling:

Theres a thread for that :eyes: @msgtv made it.

8 Likes

Hai, @Razzzcat! Harleen’s in my list! Swear! :crossed_fingers:t2:

The new Walmart bundles came about a week or two ago and featured Future State Harls, Catwoman, Shazam and Wonder Woman.

FS Catwoman #1 was really good and HQ looks as good, if not better.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say “oh no,” I mean…it’s not like reading this book is a chore or anything. :rofl:

But yeah, definitely good to talk about this story more. :slight_smile:

Catwoman was so good man. Ram V is quickly becoming one of my new favorite writers. The Harley mini was also really good.

5 Likes

Lol true, but I’m still sorry you rushed @Jay_Kay. And YES FS: Catwoman was :+1: Enjoy @Vroom! :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Ty DCI, because if I never joined this site I wouldn’t own Harleen in hardcover. I spend all my bill free $ on figures. I rarely buy comics cuz I just use this, or the library if I absolutely can’t wait. Plus it’s been long enough for a reread. I literally read it the day they sent it to me, & never since. It’s so beautiful :star_struck:

6 Likes

Yeah, Ram V is getting up there in my favorites list too. I’m eager to see what his JLD backup in Justice League will be like.

Just when I thought I was done with Future State, those Walmart bundles pulled me back in and got me to buy more of it. Well played, DC. Well played. golf clap

4 Likes

Book Two, WOW. it’s like a car accident you can’t look away from. I wanna yell, No, Harley don’t do it, you’re getting sucked in. but can’t do anything to help…
This has been enjoyable to read. I complain that other stories have been too quick to read but these have been great and the art awesome. Really enjoying the ride I’m being taken on.

5 Likes

I’ve got spoilers all the way to book 3 here, just as a lil warning for those still reading!

Now. cracks knuckles First thing I gotta say is that I loved these books so much! I love seeing Harley portrayed as the smart and cunning woman she is and Harleen did that beautifully! This was definitely a 10/10 read for me (and now I have to find & pick up the hardcover for sure!).

I’m gonna take this bit by bit since I read all three back-to-back, I hope no one minds! This might get kind of long. :sweat_smile:

One thing I really liked right off the bat (pun intended :wink:) in book one was how Harley was so sure of herself and her work yet was still filled with self doubt. She knows how capable she herself is, but having her peers constantly put her down and not believing she’s good at what she does has Harley not only trying to prove them wrong, but prove herself right.

And then she finally got some people in her corner! There’s the support she deserves!

I totally agree that “sexy joker” is really weird, but I think that just emphasized how creepy he actually is!

But also don’t forget that even the Joker wears his seatbelt, so make sure you always buckle up!

Another thing I really liked is how Stjepan Sejic used the shadows to, well, foreshadow what was to come (are my puns annoying yet?). I think it served as a really good reminder that Harley was telling her own story here.

Also, why can no one remember her name? It’s not that hard to remember! At least we can always count on Gordon to pull through. I mean, really. Queencell? Though, In 5 months time, I bet no one will be having a hard time remembering her name. :wink:

Right. Back to the main story…

Despite Harley now having the support to be able to continue her research, she still looks for affirmation from others—perhaps most significantly from Batman himself, which I found really interesting. I think it really makes their future relationship that much more heartbreaking, especially considering that Bruce finds out that Joker manipulated Harley and everything that comes with that. I mean, Bruce always places the blame on himself so I just find it interesting that he probably sees what Harley becomes as his fault.

The more she works with Joker, the more she starts to see his view on the world. The more she maybe starts to agree with it, that maybe everyone really is just a monster waiting for their moment to snap. (I’m sure everyone is probably over me adding panels, but I can’t help it. The art is just so beautiful and portrays everything so wonderfully!)

and this is getting really long, so I’m gonna cut to the chase…

It all builds up to her moment, to her breaking her point. Her best intentions, her desire to help, it all led to this.

The first joke of many more to come.

10 Likes

You can go on as long as you like w/ as many panels as you like @TheGirlWonder12! This is Harley Club—we do what we want! :sunglasses: :green_heart:

Book 1-3, pt…1, we’ll say:
First, the narration: it really sets the tone and immediately makes Harley more… :thinking: accessible. Reading this book the first time, I felt a greater empathy for her than I ever have before (which is saying something). I’ve kind of always viewed her as rather complex, but this (self awareness, as @iJest mentioned) gives me extra empathy for her, and it’s something I carry w/ me through every story w/ her now. Sejic, really did her a solid by filling in the edges of the map to the chaotic persona that is Harley Quinn, in this slowly deteriorating fashion.

This is probably the most self-aware version of her I’ve read- which now makes this the standard, imo. The depth and quickness she exhibits here is positively fantastic! I WANT MORE. And I want more of this Ivy! I agree w/ msgtv they showed restraint w/ her. I can only fantasize about the layers and nuance Sejic would give her in that ISLEY solo book (sighs) :star_struck::green_heart::rose: #TeamGreen

I’ve also got to mention Two Face. He’s a character that can be fantastic in the right hands. He’s a believer, and that’s what makes a formidable villain. Very pleased w/ him as well. Okay, I’ll be be back…

10 Likes

Club Motto, gonna get that as a tattoo

i’m not telling the trust, got no tattoos

6 Likes

In that case, let me show a few more of my favorites…

(Ivy saving Harley!!!)

Every Ivy appearance was just pure gold to me. Look at how beautiful she is! :heart_eyes: :leaves:

Also, I thought this was a neat lil Easter egg:

10 Likes

Yep. :purple_heart: :harleyquinn_hqas: :harleys_crew:

5 Likes

Agreed @TheGirlWonder12- nice nod to Harl’s creators here. :+1:

5 Likes

Loved this nod to Batman 89 in issue #1:

6 Likes

Cutting to the last minute like usual! :sweat_smile:

This might be a hot take, but I think in a lot of ways, this story takes the origin shown in Mad Love and improves it.

What I mean is, when I read Mad Love again for the club, one thing that struck me (and maybe this is something I mentioned when we first read it, I might go back and check) is that it didn’t seem to take a whole lot to push Harleen down the path of obsession. Like, one conversation about the most obvious cause of Joker’s mental illness and she starts to swoon. I get that when it first came out it was likely aimed more to kids, but it does feel rather obvious as an adult, and makes her really just look like a dumb girl who slept her way through glass and just wanting to write a book.

But here, we get those stories…but Harleen sees right through them. She has her fling with her college professor, but she’s clearly brilliant in her own light. She has her own theories, but she’s not out to make a buck, she genuinely wants to help people. Harleen Quinzell is truly a good, brilliant woman who could have done amazing things as a doctor.

Which makes it all the more tragic when Joker essentially gaslight her and corrupts her with her own words and twists them, to mold her into his own.

I think it was @D4RK5TARZ that talked about how there is a lot in common with romance comics in this story, and that’s definitely there – I mean, the creator made one of the best romance comics in recent memory with his Sunstone series – but that’s not what this is.

Harleen is not a romance story – it’s a horror story.

6 Likes

Oh, you know it’s funny that you post this one, because I had a thought while reading this again. Maybe it’s because I watched it not long before or after reading this again, but I couldn’t help but wonder this:

How many people like the “Harley/Harvey” thing from this story…while scoff at the “Martha” scene from BVS? :thinking:

6 Likes

And THIS is why ISLEY needs to happen.

7 Likes

Excellent choice @TheGirlWonder12 I almost made this one my profile pic, but opted for Ivy in a straight jacket instead. :smirk::green_heart:. Which would @Hiraeth have chosen?

7 Likes

FACT! It would be a shame if it didn’t—even Margot Robbie agrees! :face_with_monocle::green_heart: …just gonna leave these right here…

Oh no, there’s the whole rest of the week still, Jay_Kay —everyone. Plenty of time. :partying_face: No rush.

9 Likes

Chosen between those two? Or chosen between all Ivy panels? :hushed: I love them all (obviously), but between the two above, I have a slight preference for the panel of Ivy in a straightjacket (probably because she’s talking to Harleen :wink:).

I also love this one:

While she is talking to Killer Croc, the effort is for Harls. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes