Harley’s Crew 📺 Book Club & Watch-Along! Elvira: Mistress of the Dark💥 MONDAY 10/18 @ 6pm PST/9pm EST

Hey there! Do you like horror comedies? Magic, monsters, puns and splosions? We do too :tada: And this movie comes with a book discussion!

Details below for anyone who hasn’t seen it, or if you’re new to watch-alongs…

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988): Horror hostess, Elvira, inherits a rundown mansion in a small uptight town, and along with it: a sassy poodle and a powerful book of family “recipes”. Oh , and there’s a jealous evil warlock up to no good, and the nervous townsfolk want to burn her at the stake! :fire: Curious what’s in the book, if she’ll stop the fiendish villain, and if the citizens will learn to accept her? Join us! :point_down:And don’t forget your axe snacks!!

:books: You’re also cordially invited to read her comics this month!

:bat: Head to our DCUI Library :arrow_right:: Elvira’s House of Mystery 1-3

:bat: Reading and discussion begins right here and now! You can discuss it below for the remainder of :jack_o_lantern:ctober!

Have you read them before? Did you enjoy them? What did you think of dialogue, plot or artwork?Anything about the books (or movie) you’d like to discuss—don’t be shy! Drop your thoughts below when you’re ready, then come by for the watch-along. :boom: Hope to see you here!

PLEASE NOTE:
You’ll need your own access to the movie. It’s available (w/ subscription) :arrow_right: HERE Or (w/ subscription) :arrow_right: HERE.

Be ready to hit PLAY at the moment of truth and if you get lost, we got you—just ask and we’ll get you on track.
Rated: PG-13, Runtime: 96 minutes

:harleys_crew: Contact @Razzzcat or @Mae below if you have any questions.

8 Likes

8 Likes

I’d read #2 b4. I’m guessing it was on here b4 #1? Anyways, fantastic. Just have #3 to go. Idk #1 was 64 pages. I’ll finish #3 tomorrow. I loved the art. Stories were fantastic. All basically about karma, in these cases, bad karma coming back to bite ya’. Also loved that it was Cain’s house. That’s the panel I decided to snap for this discussion. Surprised by the # of pop culture references in it, in a good way!!! Took me back to being a kid & watching her tv series after dark. Basically a book version of it. Ty @Razzzcat @Mae & @D4RK5TARZ & @LaserPuff for turning me onto the horror genre in comics.

8 Likes

@capo-mage is here! :hugs: Welcome!
Looking forward to what you thought of issue 3 (l’m gonna check it out today hopefully).

Issue 1 is a good collection of stories—Shout out to Better Homes & Gargoyles magazine…

I’m pretty sure you were like, the first person I talked to about Xanadu here, btw, so thank you. :purple_heart: But I remember the “dark times” before @D4RK5TARZ started :house_of_horror: HOH.

…And this just popped into my head, so I’m just gonna leave it here. :ghost:

7 Likes

Hey @Razzzcat, remember last year you’ve made a Halloween Scavenger hunt? That was alot of fun, even trying to get the Long Halloween Badge.:grinning:

5 Likes

@ManOf78ThousandUsernames I do remember :wink: :ghost: I remember we talked about a X-Mas one in OH briefly too!

5 Likes

Excellent!!! Really enjoyed Elvira. Loved the art & storytelling. Amazing u said that cuz I was thinking about posting Better Home & Gargoyles on real fun references, but I didn’t know if anyone would get it, & I didn’t wanna have to explain it’s a knock off of Better Home & Gardens. I laughed tho. Huge Xanadu fan. That comic I can’t promote enough. Multiple Eisner awards would support my feelings.

5 Likes

Hey guys I’m back I had to make a new account I hope everyone is doing well

6 Likes

Welcome back.:grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks

5 Likes

Welcome back @nickywood956.5924 :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thanks it’s been a bit how have you been

5 Likes

Good, hanging in there. I hope you’re doing okay.

5 Likes

I’m good

5 Likes

I will not make it to the WAL tonight because I don’t have Amazon or Hulu. I will catch you all soon, though. :hugs:

5 Likes

Hi Moth! If you don’t mind ads and being a little out of sync, you can watch it free with ads on Tubi or Pluto:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Oh! Thank you, @Mae!

3 Likes

:boom: ONE HOUR!

3 Likes

3 Likes