Harley’s Crew | Book Club 38 | ❄️ Tis the Season to be Freezin’: Winter Reading

:diamonds: Hey there, everybody! Winter is upon us and the holidays are near. It’s time to grab your beverage of choice—maybe a blankie too, and read some fantastical, festive and/or frosty tales! :coffee: :fire: :harley_hv_1:

:snowflake: We’ve got Harley, Batman, Freeze, JLQ, Scooby Doo, Joker, Wonder Woman, and plenty of holiday spirit to go around! Take your pick!

:snowflake: This activity will be running all month long!

:boom: Reading begins: Right now!

:boom: Discussion begins: Whenever you’re ready! You know the drill: Which story was your favorite? Which one would you :fire: toss into the fire first if you needed kindling? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? Anything about the the reading you’d like to discuss—Drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :black_heart::white_heart::heart: See ya soon!

:harleys_crew: You can join or learn more about Harley’s Crew HERE.

13 Likes

As always, :face_with_monocle: here is a cozy Yule log and some wintery music :snowman: :notes:

We’ve also got a new issue of HQAS: Legion of Bats this month, right :point_down: :harleyquinn_hqas: HERE.

AND! Poison Ivy (2022) 1 has officially arrived in our library! You can join us for the book discussion :rose: :point_down:HERE.

Also DC Animated Club is hosting :joker_hv_1: X-Mas w/ Joker later this month!

10 Likes

This video is so relaxing.

8 Likes

I read a couple stories form the winter special a couple weeks ago, and liked them, the one with blue snowman & harley and the bizarro one. I don’t know what that joker comic is, but I’m going to check it out next lol

7 Likes

Hi peeps! :hugs: As you get cozy and enjoy this holiday reading this month, we wouldn’t be a proper Coven if we did not acknowledge the witchy origins of Xmas:

6 Likes

I;m bookmarking this, thanks!

4 Likes

I started with Agent of Peace, and it made me think of the issue of Little Black Book with Wonder Woman. Harley wants to be her friend and sidekick so bad :rofl: It’s adorable and I can’t blame her ar all. It’s Wonder Woman! It reminded me how Harley seeks an authority figure or a way to be useful, especially. Sometimes it’s for people who don’t deserve it, but that’s clearly not the case when it’s Wonder Woman. She’s so patient with Harley, who means well, that I really enjoy them trying to work as a team.

Harley Quinn 55 is one of my favorite holiday single issues, so I’ll probably give that one another read.

8 Likes

There’s a second issue in that series too (which I recommend of you like alt universes) :purple_heart:

:full_moon_with_face: :magic_wand: Ty.

8 Likes

Same. I’m thinking about this scene right now :diamonds::laughing: Diana just wants her to stop going on and on about how magnificent she is, but like…we can’t fault Harls, can we? No. We cannot.

8 Likes

I saw a few issues that looked interesting. I might read a few, but I don’t know when. I have way too much already. :sweat_smile:
That scene from AoP made me laugh, and at the end when Harley is asking Diana to go get dinner with her is also one of my favorites.

6 Likes

“Asking”. :laughing: Listing every possible type of food, so she can’t say no. :diamonds: :harleyquinn_hqas: VERY Harls.

Here’s more holiday tunes, btw…

7 Likes

Victory Pasta! :harleyquinn_hqas::spaghetti: Probably from Mama Macs.

7 Likes

cool, thanks! I really liked the first one, it’s Joker but in this reality it’s a woman, so it feels like reading a Harley comic to me. Joker is a good villain, but this is a version I prefer, it’s more relatable. The artwork was awesome. i think the metal men one is next after I finish the winter special.

8 Likes

I heard its thorns down the best place in gotham lol

this was great, I;ll have to think of one when I come back

7 Likes

That is a cool video! I’ve bought so many books on the origins of Yule and Christmas over the years. I find it interesting. Thanks!

4 Likes

Did they ever do anything with JLQ? I only remember it being in that pointless comic tournament.

6 Likes

This is my first book club, so I hope I’m doing it right!

Harley Quinn #55: Harley always has good holiday specials, but this one has a lot of heart, awesome artwork and is one of the most festive I’ve read. The dynamic with her family is familiar, and there is a crisis causing extra stress. Even still, her mom is kind and supportive, and brings her family together to cherish what time they have. Positive message. A pair of stories in the Winter Special felt this way too, so those are runner’s up.

Scooby Doo Team Up #41/42: Normally I like Scooby Doo, but the mystery is solved right away and the rest is mostly other characters being rude to Harley and her having to realize she’s not valued. Stories like this make me feel bad for her. Add in artwork that was flat and none of the gang feeling in character, I’d toss it first :harley_hv_2: or throw one of these at it! :bomb:

8 Likes

Can we talk about this one too?

5 Likes

:drum: :face_with_monocle: Points for @MaxR! I like a good pun!

Honestly I think this special was it for JLQ. The Round Robin tourney is rough—so much stuff that I’d totally read, but :neutral_face: we all know it’ll prbly only ever go to Bats and Supes. I still want that Ghost Tours from Hell!

9 Likes

Hey @d.Manha! Welcome! There’s technically no “right way”, so you’re absolutely doing it right. :purple_heart: Don’t worry about that. :hugs: And you absolutely can talk about those Tangent comics if you like!

I’m happy you enjoyed the Holiday issue of Harley. To me, its not only a good read for the occasion, but it’s a great example of Harls being written and utilized well to tell a story. She’s got depth to go with all that potentially destructive energy, and there’s no reason it can’t be used properly…imo.

:laughing: YESSS :bomb: :boom: We heart splosions! Or maybe we give it to Bud & Lou for a chew toy??

9 Likes