Harley Quinn Too Much Ship?

I’m probably one of the few huge Lake Bell fans, previous to her role as Ivy. I loved Children’s Hospital & thought she was hilarious. To clarify, children’s hospital is a comedy that used to be on adult swim. Episodes are around 15mins. As far as rest of the cast…man, just absolutely nailed it. Even the bit parts are perfect choices. Kaley is a perfect HQ. So, yes. Absolutely genius casting. I could go all day. I haven’t even mentioned Alan Tudyk yet, who’s just dominant on every character u cast him as. I definitely agree with u 100%!!!

2 Likes

Yes… I love where your head is at.

1 Like

:hugs: @capo-mage.

Same! AGAIN! :sunglasses: I was a Lake Bell fan before this, and now I :purple_heart: her. Did you ever see In A World? Probably, definitely check it out if you haven’t tho!

2 Likes

Completely agreed, Kaley and Lake do such an amazing job giving us Harley and Ivy, I couldn’t have asked for any better voice actresses! And that goes for the rest of the characters, the show did a good job matching the voice to the personalities of each character so I couldn’t imagine the voice of Clayface to be any different for this show.

2 Likes

Yes…where she’s the voiceover actor. That gif is great (I swear to a higher power of your choosing I just started a community rewatch last night. Ever since they put it on Netflix Ive been wanting to rewatch it, fell asleep last night watching it) So many greats on that show (children’s hospital) & Rob Corddry produced it. That’s one of the best casts ever for a show that was barely known. Offerman & Mullally, Winkler, Rob Huebel, Erin Hayes, Ken Marino, Malin Ackerman, Michael Cera, Beth Dover, Joe Lo Truglio, Brian Huskey, Kathryn Hahn, Rob Riggle, tough to beat. Plus guest stars. Also Lake Bell which was the whole reason I started talking about children’s hospital lol.

1 Like

I plan to do the same! :facepunch:t3: :popcorn::cup_with_straw: So glad Netflix/Hulu got it…AND that they stop autoplay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Man…u have no idea how many times I’ve had to go back to figure out what episode I fell asleep on.

1 Like

@capo-mage Right? You spend 10min like :thinking: :eyes: ’whats the last thing I remember??’

1 Like

I don’t think any show can focus too much on the characters of the story. Especially in the comics industry which is mostly built on these pools of characters and their collective identities. People read and watch DC comics because they love the characters. That’s what makes it great. If more shows could pull of the Doom Patrol style of showmaking where they just focus on the characters all of the time, I would be very happy.

Characters are inherently dynamic, so their relationships change and develop over time. If Harley just stayed static and wasn’t challenged throughout the show, it would wear out its welcome quite quickly. However, I could see where the love triangle thing could get tiresome if it continues to be the direction they take it next season. It would be a static development instead of a new development then. So far though, the show has done a great job of continuing to put Harley into new, interesting situations that challenge her beliefs, lifestyle, and personal identity. It also does a good job of balancing that with the shows great humor and action. If the show runners continue to put the same amount of effort into the show that they have already shown they are capable of, I wouldn’t worry at all.

3 Likes

HaHa :joy: exactly.

1 Like

Re-post:

Many people feel that their kiss was random because they didn’t sense the intimate undercurrent between Harley and Ivy. But there are many (including myself) who sensed the “more than just platonic” tension between them since the first episode, especially from Ivy. The kiss was an abreaction that was caused by a combination of that tension, Harley sacrificing herself so that Ivy could escape the pit and be happy, and Ivy bungee jumping back into the pit to save Harley.

I’m glad that the tension between them wasn’t excessively obvious; because the way the show has happened (so far) is quite similar to the struggles that exist with many LGBT individuals: developing feelings for a friend, trying to conceal those feelings because of shame and fear of rejection, attempting to date someone else as a way to fill the void, latching onto denial and becoming distant as a defense mechanism, etc.

Many people don’t understand that same-sex romantic feelings often look very similar to “sisterly/brotherly love”. This is because heteronormativity still exists, which often causes shame and insecurity within LGBT individuals. So it’s expected that this stigma would create incertitude within a person whose feelings don’t align with what the majority of society deems normal.

Ivy has been exceedingly helpful and vigilant towards Harley since the first episode. A great example for this is how protective she was of Harley in “L.O.D.R.S.V.P.” (S01E08). She even put her own preferences of wanting to be solo aside to team up with Harley as a way to shield Harley from feeling disappointed and rejected. Ivy is known to be “a classic misanthrope with abandonment issues who befriends plants to avoid human intimacy.” This causes Ivy to be withdrawn, callous, self-serving, and cynical in general. Yet Ivy has been loyal, encouraging, helpful, and affectionate with Harley (despite Harley’s tendency to be scatterbrained, impulsive, and flighty). And while many might argue that Ivy is loyal to Harley because “she’s Ivy’s only friend”, that statement simply isn’t true. I wouldn’t consider Dr. Psycho to be Ivy’s friend, but King Shark and Clayface have shown a lot of loyalty towards Ivy (especially in “Harley Quinn Highway”). While Harley did help Ivy with her emotional/mental setbacks as her psychiatrist, Harley has also acted in ways that would often cause someone like Ivy to distance herself much sooner than she did. Some could even say that King Shark and Clayface have been more loyal in the sense that they haven’t acted impulsive/flighty with Ivy; yet she still considers Harley her only friend. I think it’s suitable to interpret this situation as Harley being the Ivy’s most important person, even if Ivy is currently trying to deny it.

tl;dr “Ivy, look… You’re here, you’re queer. Get used to it.” #lezbehonest

5 Likes

I think shipping has strongly helped the second season stand out from the first. There’s tons of drama, yes, but once it’s all over, it will be a time to reflect (and perhaps even rewatch).

4 Likes

Somewhat off topic… There needs to be a character analysis thread for the Harley Quinn show on a more psychological (symbolic) perspective. I have been musing quite a bit regarding Harley and Ivy (in several different angles). I’d dive deeper, but I’m too lazy to organize my analytical “ramble-thoughts” at the moment. Just wanted to mention this as a reminder to myself and in hopes someone will hold me to it until I finally follow through. I’m an unorganized over-thinker with ADHD and OCD (basically scatter-brained) Sue me. :laughing: #halp

2 Likes