Harley Hype

Does anyone think Harley Quinn is getting kinda overexposed? I mean just watching the ads for Birds of Prey, you’d think it was actually The Harley Quinn movie, even though she’s not even in the Birds of Prey as far as i know. And this is on top of her starring role in Suicide Squad and getting her own cartoon here on dc universe, with multiple associate sweepstakes.

I’m not against any of these things (except for turning Birds of Prey into Harley Quinn featuring the Birds of Prey, seriously Harley you’re already prominently in a live-action movie, don’t steal screentime from Huntress and Black Canary) but i feel this is all a bit much of one character in such a short span of time.

6 Likes

I think she is popular right now and some people are enjoying that. It’s a natural business decision to focus on someone who’s gaining a lot of popularity.

7 Likes

Pretty much what @Behemoth said. Was Batman over exposed in the 90s? Not if you would have asked me, I couldnt (and kind of still cant) get enough of that guy. They know Harley is a character that works, so its only natural they try to build the character as a brand.
Harley in film has exposed her to a market far larger than comics or games could reach. Giving her a cartoon series on DCU probably got a nice chunk of people to pay for the service, fans from beyond the DC super fan.

3 Likes

Yeah, but he’s Batman. His notable iterations outside of his comics have been spread out over his long history. the 40s had the black and white serials, the 60s had the adam west show and the cartoon, then there was the 90s and the burton movies and the animated series and then the modern era with the Nolan movies. That seems pretty liberal for a span of 80 years.

Harley Quinn doesn’t have that advantage, she’s been around about 15 years, and while I’m glad that she’s spreading into the big screen, I’d be a lot happier about it if it didn’t feel like she was pushing aside the actual Birds of Prey in doing so. Also her face is plastered all over my home page. I could understand if a DCU user was already sick of her.

4 Likes

Yeah, right now she is big on DCU, because of her show. There should be a small break in which the focus starts to shift toward Stargirl. But there does seem to be a huge fan base for Harls on the forum right now.

2 Likes

Right, but “Batmania” didnt hit until the 60s. He was a popular character for years beforehand, but that show propelled the character to new heights. It took mass exposure to make Batman a household name which is what I imagine they want to do with Harley.
As DC fans, we may be overexposed to the character, but most of the world probably still sees the character as fresh and new.

2 Likes

Right now, I’m kind of tired of Poison Ivy. No offense to one of my favorite mods ever.

2 Likes

That’s probably true. There’s another thing. When she first appeared on Batman The Animated Series, one of the big reasons she got popular with fans was the interesting and realistic way her abusive relationship with the Joker was shown. Harley has since broken away from the Joker to be her own thing and this is the Harley that the movie-going audiences have gotten to know for the most part, lacking something that drew fans to her to begin with. You can kinda feel it in the Suicide Squad movie too, with how spotty her characterization was. The movie would tell you she was absolutely fearless, and show you clearly getting scared for her life. She would start undressing in front of people in a way that suggests she doesn’t know any better when SHE WAS A ■■■■■■■ DOCTOR! And now I’m just bashing Suicide Squad.

2 Likes

I can agree with that. She kind of got robbed of her strongest character arc. Could have been cool to see that unfold as a subplot through a series of Batman or Gotham-centric films.
Slightly of topic, I hope that’s what we get with Selina in the Reeves Batman theoretical trilogy. Starts as a theif. Becomes an ally through circumstance (because she loves Batman, preferably), evolves into a supporting role by the 3rd film.

What is this “Reeves Batman Theoretical Trilogy” of which you speak?

Matt Reeves is the Director of the upcoming Batman film starring Robert Pattinson. Nobody involved with the project has confirmed that there are sequels, but Batman is WB/DC/AT&T’s marquee character. So this film being part of a trilogy is sadly only a theory for the time being. I could be wrong, if someone has anything concrete please share.
We know if its successful they will greenlight a sequel, I just hope they are using these characters in a way that serves an ongoing story where the characters grow.

1 Like

I see. Well with the Nolan trilogy still fresh in audience’s minds and being a pretty hard act to follow, I don’t know if they really should be planning another trilogy so soon. It’s the same reason I was glad the DCEU Batman hadn’t gotten his own standalone movie until now. That would be oversaturation if they did his right after Man of Steel and before Batman vs Superman.

1 Like

Definitely a hard act to follow, though I thought Batfleck was excellent in BvS and while it “underperformed” it still made a metric butt-ton of money. That showed the audience still turns out for the bat despite being a clearly different take on the character from the Nolanverse. It cost a ton of money to make, but the audience interest doesnt change with production cost. If it didnt have such bad reviews, who knows how much it would have made.
It feels Batman and his characters are already so established in pop culture that people are always willing to see a new take. However, it could just be bias on my part. Because BATMAN! YAY! LOL
But I’m way off topic now.

We both are.

1 Like

Dont worry, Wondy hype is just around the corner

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to WW 84, especially since I got a gift card for my local theater for Christmas so I can go see it… for freeeeeeeeeeeeeee………

4 Likes

I think they just wanted to make sure they had someone that could carry the movie if need be and so that’s who the focus was on. A lot of people don’t know the origins of the birds of prey and so it’s easier to go with who people know. But on a different note what about that “Punchline” who knows maybe she may be a future anti-heroin

1 Like

Idk, Batgirl is pretty well known. Probably second only to Wonder Woman as far as well known superheroines go. Peoples grandparents know Batgirl.
As far as Punchline, it would be cool if at least one female Batvillian stayed evil. But she probably will go anti-hero at some point.

1 Like

True Batgirl is pretty well known also. I just think they got a lot of positive feedback from the harley casting and for batgirl they might be scared because of the whole Batman casting issues they have had. I would personally like to see a batgirl movie or even a Gotham Sirens movie.

3 Likes

People like antiheroes. She is pretty much the only female DC has that is one. Maybe Selina Kyle, but she’s harder to market I believe.

2 Likes