Happy Superman Day!

You know what’s disappointing?

I’ve seen nothing from official DC social media accounts on this. Nothing on youtube or twitter, no banner on their site, not even a sale in the DC Shop.

Tsk tsk, DC. Would do you well to remember what Superman means to you.

5 Likes

Now that you mention it, there weren’t Superman Day comics like there were Batman and Wonder Woman comics in the past year. Were there any Superman Day comics last year?

3 Likes

Not that I remember. Just silence.

If the source I posted above is to be believed:

If you recall, the cover of Action Comics #1 is dated June 1938, even though it was released in May. However, with the release of Man of Steel , a film directed by Zack Snyder and starring Henry Cavill, this idea came about thanks to the framework of Superman’s 75th anniversary, celebrated in 2013. To DC Entertainment, which sought to take advantage of the “Diamond Jubilee” of the first comic book superhero as a whole.

This initiative took the form of a bill in the city of Cleveland, Ohio. On that day in 2013, the committee declared that June 12th of each year be commemorated as Superman Day, as a tribute to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the creators of the Man of Steel, who lived in Cleveland.

So it’s not just a fan thing. It’s something that DC helped officially create. Seems like a wasted opportunity to not only honor your legacy, but to do some easy marketing for one of your most important characters.

3 Likes

I live in Cleveland, admittedly I don’t have my ear to the ground and don’t have the pulse of the city, but I feel like a celebration or anything is something I would have heard about at my comic shop.

Also, keep in mind that I don’t go to THE comic shop of Cleveland because of personal reasons. Maybe they did something to celebrate Superman. Still, nothing happening in the city. However, if you ever fly to Cleveland be sure to check out the Superman stuff at Hopkins Airport because that is exactly where a Superman exhibit should be… the baggage claim.

3 Likes

I’ll make sure I check it out if I ever head that way (and maybe meet you while I’m at it​:slightly_smiling_face:).

Seriously though… it’s bugging me.

Even Sideshow and Iron Studios took the opportunity and have been peddling Superman statues across social media all day.

3 Likes

One thing I have noticed about the DC website is that it isn’t exactly up to date, especially if something happens on a weekend. When George Perez passed away DC’s website didn’t have that posted for a few days. I know people have weekends and what not but I would have thought that someone could have posted his picture or something that Saturday.

On an unrelated note, I am reading Tomasi’s Superman for the first time and it is exactly what I needed.

3 Likes

Cleveland’s own. Action Comics #1 Locations.

2 Likes