Happily surprised to find myself enjoying the Supergirl show!

I totally hard rolled my eyes when this show premiered because I somehow empathically know that it was gonna be so cornball and poorly written.

In the past week I started watching it and holy shit do I dig it. It dawned on me that it’s formula of cheese, fun action, and good messages in every episode were exactly like an old silver age Supergirl comic book.

Most surprising thing though? It’s actually smarter than it seems on first glance. The episode where Kara talked down the mugger was actually inspiring and felt just so true to the character.

And is it preachy? Yup. But hey if you’re super leftist scum like me that’s just fine :wink:

6 Likes

My sentiments exactly. My enjoyment for this show definitely came out of side-field for me.

I like cheese, but Supergirl’s a little “too” cheesy for me.

Her show however turned out to be a surprisingly nice blend of all things Supergirl!

4 Likes

You know, it hasn’t dawned on me till you said it, but that is the exact way to describe it-it’s just like a silver age comic book!!!

4 Likes

I find it too weepy. I’ll be sitting there watching it and they’ll get all weepy and cry on each other’s shoulders like teenagers. Ech! I do still watch it, I just roll my eyes a lot.

2 Likes

If you can’t call yourself a comic book fan and you can’t enjoy the Arrowverse for what it is you must be dead on the inside or you are Bill Maher

3 Likes

The content on Supergirl is superb. If u love the house of el, it’s very entertaining. Including the legion of superheroes involvement & now J’onn J’onzz is going the P.I. route. To truly be the Martian Manhunter.

2 Likes

I have started to lose interest feeling it has gotten a bit too preachy and PC (not against it being PC in and of itself, but they have been known to stop the story dead in it’s tracks to lecture), but it is not a bad show at all and definitely shows what I knew which is Supergirl can be an interesting character.

2 Likes

Really? Supergirl tv show is a disgrace to DC TV.

2 Likes

Last week’s episode was very good. This season has been off and on but it’s still my favorite CW DC show by far.

3 Likes

My favorite CW DC show too. This season has been pretty solid. It was a good choice to cut down on the hero roster this season imo.

I think that their one big pain point that keeps coming back is their inability to keep telling Kara-centric stories. When they do, we get the best stories like the Pilot, Midvale, Bizarro, For the Girl who has everything, The Faithful, Falling etc. Then they fall back into focusing on relationship dramas between support characters again. I get that it draws a lot of shippers, but honestly, whether it’s relationship drama between Maggie and Alex, Lena and James, Imra and Mon-El, it’s just not that exciting TV to me, and the contribution to the story is generally ephemeral at best.

When they do swerve from keeping it Kara-centric they should do it because they have a powerful story like Man of Steel.

Then it could be even better.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued by Alex no longer knowing Kara is Supergirl. That was a surprise.

3 Likes

The Kaznian Red daughter, or clone has yet to come into play yet too.

3 Likes

^^ both of those elements in play tonight, plus Nia-centric, another good episode

*pretty sure they’re setting up Lex Luthor at the end, could be wrong … no new episodes for three weeks :pensive:

2 Likes