Halloween Profiles: Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

First Appearance: Elvira’s House of Mystery 1 (1985)

8 Likes

Just watched my first Elvira movie this weekend and it was so much fun. What a great character.

5 Likes

What movie? Was it her first movie or one that she hosted?

3 Likes

I think it was her first movie, Elvira Mistress of the Dark. Now that I’ve read some of her comics I was ready to take the plunge and I was not disappointed.

5 Likes

This is the perfect time to discover Elvira! Elvira’s Haunted Hills has finally been re-released both digitally and on blu-ray. You can also find many of her classic episodes on Shout Factory TV for free among other free streaming services. She has hosted Night of the Living Dead at least 2 different times, maybe 3 and each version is great.

3 Likes

I just posted some more pics of Elvira on my Just Gorgeous thread from this issue. I should’ve used the one u have at the very top. That’s a great one!!! I’m really enjoying these. Loved how they had Cains old comic stash & not only were they great ones. There was Swamp Thing which is the 1st comic I ever saw him in. Plus, lol, it fell open to the page he was on & she knew something was up great callback & inside joke type deal I thought?

4 Likes

Never watched Elvira’s show but I watched the two movies, Mistress of the Dark & Haunted Hills. I know there is a cult following for HH, but I actually prefer the first movie. I think the humor is better written and the story has a tighter focus. HH certainly embraces more of the Horror and Gothic setting, but it felt off and it was missing that special spark

4 Likes

I go back and forth on my preferences for her 2 movies. Her first movie is campy and fun while HH embraces Hammer horror movies and I can totally get behind that.

5 Likes