Happy 25th Anniversary Superman: The Animated Series!

giphy

Superman: The Animated Series turns 25 today! :partying_face:

13 Likes

I can still remember watching it for the first time, I just love it. I remember I first notice there was no :superman: on his cape, but that never bother me. I just love everything about the series, the design, casting, music and storyline.
I even got toys, comics, and the infamous Superman 64 videogame that I enjoy playing.:grinning:
For DC Animated Club I even made a thread on this classic series as well.

7 Likes

Lol see this was my introduction to Superman so I have this version of his cape as my first impression so I never understood the S on the cape lol now that I’m reading back thanks to DCUI I get it! :joy:

5 Likes

What a fantastic and underrated series. I remember watching the premiere at night, taping it with the Nick Freno bumpers. The ending with Brainiac coming back online was so creepy.

Perhaps one of my all time favorite Lois Lanes, an amazing Lex Luthor in Clancy Brown and to this day one of the better balanced Superman/Clark Kents in media.

8 Likes

It totally is! Everything is just beautifully done. I can’t believe there wasn’t anything celebrating on HBO or DC’s website :frowning:

6 Likes

That’s where us the fans come in, talking about it. Thankyou so much for bringing the anniversary up, I did honestly forgot about it. It’s always great talking about the show. My only complain is that I wish they had made more then 52 episodes. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Yeah, we’re awesome :sunglasses: lol I only knew because I follow a ton of Superman accounts on social media lmao Facebook is basically my Superman news station at this point :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

And look at that the Superman Homepage just posted this! The special features look dope!

6 Likes

Confession: I’ve often felt like the odd man out given all the love for the Bruce Timm cartoons. I watched them a little later than most… was in my late 20s or early 30s. While I enjoyed the stories, the art style and never resonated with me. Till now. I recently decided to rewatch everything, starting with BTAS (almost done with season 2). Honestly, I now have a newfound appreciation for these shows. The art style is not “blobulous” like I initially thought, but streamlined and graceful, with great use of lighting and shadows. The ability to tell a full story that brings the characters to life in 22 minutes is uncanny. I don’t know if it’s the ability to binge, the better picture quality, or a better background in comics that’s making me enjoy these more. Probably all the above; I have a newfound (very strong) appreciation for the DCAU. I guess better late to the party than never.

I know, I know… this is an STAS thread. I can’t wait to be done with BTAS and I will start rewatching Supes right away, eventually making it all the way through JLU. I remember a few things stuck with me from that show. Metropolis, Superman’s flight scenes, and a great version of Lex Luthor. Can’t wait to get to it. So, happy 25th indeed, Superman: The Animated Series.

Question for the DCAU experts: HBO Max has 3 seasons of BTAS, but Wikipedia only shows 2, with the third one being a later show? If wanted to watch in order, should I finish season 2 of Batman, watch Superman, then watch season 3 of Batman?

Sorry for slight tangent here folks. Wanted to show my appreciation while being true to where I am in the process.

6 Likes

Even though the title of the series changed for that “3rd season” I would say watch it with BTAS. The biggest changes were the addition of Robin and Batgirl. Now, if you wanted to be a completist you can watch this playthrough of the Batman Sega CD game. The cutscenes are like a lost episode.

I really can’t wait for you to get to Superman. I have been watching it off and on over the past few weeks and am in the second season. The animation is great and the voice acting is top notch.

4 Likes

Maaan… I never played that, but watching a bit of it took me back to my childhood and early teens. They don’t make games like that anymore :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thanks for the advice. I will report back once I get into the remastered STAS.

4 Likes

I used to have a copy of this game and being honest, it was kind of boring to play. The cutscenes were the only thing that kept me going.

4 Likes

:tada: :tada: :tada:

Lots of great memories from this show. :white_heart: Looking forward to the complete series blu-ray out later this year. :superman:

4 Likes

This series holds such a special place in my heart. I remember having the pilot episodes on DVD (along with other parts of the season. I’d always watch them on car rides and just fell in love with the entire show. I honestly think it’s one of the best examples of Superman. They just nailed his character and wrote it very well.

5 Likes

Have you rewatched now that your older and does it bring you back to those good ole days? I can’t help but feel like a kid again when I watch it :smiley: what are some of your favorite episodes?

2 Likes

I have gone back! I think it holds up pretty well as a show. Obviously nostalgia influences my thoughts a lot, but I think the writing and overall experience is really solid! The animation is pretty good too. I mean, it can’t compete with the Fleischer era, but it’s still very dynamic and fun.

3 Likes

So true! I listened to a clip of Shirly Walker the composer for B/S:TAS talking about Bruce Timm, saying that he really advocated for the music to be composed and preformed instead of tracked which is the cheaper way to go for most animated TV shows. She said even later in the series when the studio wanted to track the rest, it was Timm who maintained the music continue to be scored and recorded :smiley: It really takes a team of people to protect their art like that so we can benefit from it for decades after!

3 Likes

I love this show. It is pure Superman gold. They get the character. It’s full of action, drama and humor, along with wonderful performances from Tim Daly, Dana Delany, Clancy Brown, and Michael Ironside.
Dana Delany’s Lois Lane is definitely the standout character of this show. Her portrayal of Lois evokes aspects of both Margot Kidder and Teri Hatcher, but is still very much her own interpretation. Case in point: Clark, “Have you ever been to Kansas?” Lois, “God, no!” She nailed it. Oh, and for those who love Easter eggs, animated Lois is dressed exactly the same as Margot’s Lois when she meets Clark in Superman: The Movie.

7 Likes

Really! I need to go back and check that episode out! How awesome! I love Easter eggs like that!!

3 Likes

Ok, so I finished rewatching BTAS season 2, and then started rewatching STAS. 5 episodes in now. The HD remastering makes a huge difference. Everything looks crisp and the colors pop. There’s a couple of scenes of Jor-El and Lara with Krypton in the backdrop that look amazing. As I alluded to in my earlier comment, Metropolis is beautifully rendered, and the shots of Clark gracefully flying over it convey a feeling that is rarely captured outside of the comics. Characterization and story are as great as I remember them; classic Superman through and through with no twists. Fun times :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes