Guided View vs. Full Page

Simple question: When you read comics digitally, do you use the panel-by-panel view, or do you like seeing the whole page at once?

13 Likes

I tend toward the full page.

3 Likes

I prefer guided view, but sometimes the full page is a little easier, depending on wht i am looking at/for. some older comics don’t “guide well” and you kind of have no choice. and sometimes you just want to look at the whole page, either before or after reading it.

4 Likes

I use both. I like looking at the details.

4 Likes

Mix. Start with full page, switch to guided view to zoom in on interesting or difficult to read panels, or to sequence/break up a 2 page spread (after taking it all in of course).

That’s on an iPad. On a phone, guided view :joy:

8 Likes

Full page for me.

2 Likes

Yes, when I broke down and read a comic on my phone, I used guided view. I may do it again someday.

2 Likes

It sucks. Sometimes necessary when my 3 year old is holding my iPad hostage…

4 Likes

Can you imagine having an Ipad when you were 3?

4 Likes

Oh man… don’t get me started. Always thought I was gonna be the “cool dad” and I’d like to think I am… but every so often I do find myself giving my kids the ol’ "When I was your age I didn’t have… you should be grateful that… ". Cue eye-rolls… no longer cool dad :joy:

8 Likes

I pretty much always use panel mode. It sometimes depends on the artist though. If I know that the artist has particularly great layouts, I go full page at the end of every page to put stuff into context. Like, I read Batwoman: Elegy, and I would’ve been truly doing it a disservice if I didn’t do full page mode. Otherwise, if I’m reading something with traditional layouts—something like Doomsday Clock—I’ll just stick to panel mode.

1 Like

I generally use guided-mode, some of the text is to tiny to read otherwise.

3 Likes

If watching on TV grid, on my tablet full.

2 Likes

Panel by panel. I may only be 29, but I have terrible vision, so I like that it brings it closer and helps me focus lol.

6 Likes

I use panel-by-panel normally since I often read comics on small devices - full page makes it difficult or, sometimes, nearly impossible to read even though I really like full page. In my experience, it’s good to go full page once in a while since sometime small details are cut or the flow of the scene gets lost when going panel-by-panel.

2 Likes

I do full screen. I like to look at the whole page to get the feel of it. It also just flows better for me that way. I will zoom in for tiny text or little details though.

2 Likes

Depends on the book. Injustice: guided view all the way. Batman rebirth: full page:

2 Likes

I lot depends on the book. I read on a tablet and like the full page view. However, it doesn’t work on double-page spreads and I have to switch to panel view.

I recently reread No Justice. The way that nook was laid out, with long flowing two page spreads looked great in paper format but was a pain in the buttocks in electronic format. I was surprised that it wasn’t discussed in the book club episodes as it was such a pain in the buttocks. .

I’ll also say that I find it fascinating that in the early Rucka/Williams Batwoman issues, the layout is so creatively complex that guided view sometimes has no idea where to go. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It varies, depending on what appeals to me at a given time.

That said, I tend to use full page/Landscape Mode more often than the other options.

4 Likes

I take in the whole page vista, counting the panels, then zoom in with the guided view until all panel get viewed. Then it’s one last look at the total page before moving on. Gotta appreciate that work.

2 Likes