Green Lantern (2011)

I really enjoy watching this movie, I just wish they made a sequel, I think it would’ve been a hit and better then the first movie. I think the reason why this movie wasn’t a hit is because of the villian name Hecter Hammond, I didn’t notice the first few time, then I realize the problem is Hecter seem to scream in pain in almost every scene he is in, beside that the movie has a great special effect, I think if people over look the screaming villian and enjoy the special effect would really like this movie. If I had to rate it, I would give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It isn’t as bad as made out to be but it ain’t great. Underrated and yet mediocre.

6 or 7/10

2 Likes

I’ve tried rewatching it and I end up tuning out by the time he leaves Oa.

2 Likes

Also it was really dumb to start off the first movie with Parallax

2 Likes

@dglasco7.90621 I feel the same. I liked everything up to his return to Earth. I would have prefered the film end with the Corp battling some random alien race menacing another random alien planet, or like, maybe the Manhunters. Just not something on such a scale as Parallax to start a series.

1 Like

This movie had all the pieces, just an awful writer and director. Ryan Reynolds was fine as Hal Jordan, Mark Strong killed it as Sinestro, and the special effects weren’t even that bad, and it had one of the best end credit scenes in a superhero film ever.

3 Likes

For what the movie is, it’s enjoyable. Mark Strong was great as Sinestro. The best thing about the movie is that it paved the way for Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and Green Lantern: The Animated Series. For all of the Green Lantern goodness we got in 2011 (including the New 52 GL titles), the movie was probably on the lower end of the spectrum.

2 Likes

I also agree about the climax being kind of weak. It would have been better if the movie ended elsewhere and then the sequel started with Hal coming back to Earth after having been in space with the Corps for several months.

While Parallax should have been saved for a later movie, I do like that Clancy Brown voiced him. Neat to see him involved in a live action effort.

2 Likes

This was by far not the best DC film to date, but I think I can name at least a half dozen it beats the snot out of. Oh, what the heck: Superman IV, Catwoman, Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, Johah Hex, Steel, Suicide Squad. That’s more than six. And with Warner’s track record who knows if that list won’t grow in the future?

1 Like

With a post credit scene like the one they had, I really cannot comprehend why they didn’t make a sequel.

1 Like

It’s ok overall. The stuff in space was really good. Sinestro was amazing as well as Abin Sur and all the alien GLs. OA looked great. Parallax was a dumb yellow cloud.
Everything on Earth was horrible and cheap looking. Press conference at Ferris Air looked cheap with like 20 extras. Hector Hammond just didn’t work as well as Carol Ferris. I’m a fan of Blake but she was miscast. Ryan was good but he was born to play Deadpool.

1 Like

I think its gets a lot of hate because it had ‘epic potential’. I think the fans have such high expectations for their heroes that nothing short of perfect will do. The movie had it’s flaws but it also has it’s moments (Abin Sur Crashing, the scenes on OA, the fight with parallax until he went to space). It doesn’t deserve to be put in the awful category. They tried to make an origin story but should have followed the First Flight plot more without Sinestro turning yellow (save that for the sequel). Any GL movie should be 90% in space.
What I didn’t like were both Villains, lack of imagination with the constructs, the training on OA needed to be longer, the way PARallax was defeated, but I really hated when Sinestro gave his speech and ended it with “we are the corp”. Why didn’t they recite the OATH?

1 Like

Tomar-Re is another highlight. I thought he and the other aliens were well done. Kilawog 's face was kind of eh, but the personality was there thanks to Duncan’s inflections.

I saw the movie twice in theaters. The first was on opening night and when Hammond showed up with his big noggin’, some people in the audience laughed which was annoying. The second time was goober free.

1 Like

Was going to make a new thread, but thanks to Kelex for showing me my old thread, suprisely there’s actually a few Green Lantern (2011) thread on here, it does makes me glad to see there’s still a Green Lantern fans out there.

I was actually furious when Green Lantern wasn’t part of the Justice League movie. It wouldn’t bother me had it been, Hal Jordan, Jon Stewart, Kyle Rayner or Jessica Cruz, it would’ve been fine with me! :slightly_smiling_face:

No matter what anybody say, I’m always a fan of Green Lantern movie, since I was a kid I didn’t think it was possible for him to be in a movie, and now he has his own live action film since 2011.
:00_lc_green_lantern:

1 Like

I need to make the time to watch the entire thing, but I watched the initial parts of the extended release and like others mentioned, I think (a) it holds up well, and (b) it’s better than I remember.

I think it was possibly hurt by poor, rushed CGI/3D effects, which is what I am remembering from seeing it in theaters. I also thought, surprisingly since they ended up married, that Ryan had poor chemistry with Blake, and that the Peter, all for being an excellent dramatic actor, was miscast and poorly used, and Mark Strong was wasted, but that Parallax was one of a series of poor bad choices by WB suits for Big Bags in DC related movies. Orm was probably the only really solid big bad. In Wonder Woman, for example, I would have preferred far more development of Dr. Poison and had her and the general (and not as a stand-in for Ares) be the big bad.

I guess in that thinking Zod could be termed a big bad, but I found him tedious and was as tired of him as I was of Eisenlex in BvS.

However Batfleck was definitely an excellent DC villain.

1 Like

The potential was there. Just take a look at this trailer and tell me there wasn’t a great movie buried underneath.

So Close So Close Seth Meyers GIF - So Close So Close Seth Meyers Late Night With Seth Meyers - Discover & Share GIFs

1 Like

Even Ryan Reynolds has been noted for ripping this movie.

I was miffed with the CG uniform and the skin tightness of it, I thought it was really lazy that someone couldnt make a proper uniform. Cosplayers do it all the time, I would have been happy for a $20.00 cosplay uniform vs the CG one. I hated the way the ring and the lantern were made as well, and no neck kilawog was a bust for me as well. The " training " was nothing in the movie and could have used a montage for Kilawog to really be able to say he can train em.

Sigh, Paralax was an interesting version but to toss in Hector Hammond and not explore his mental abilities and just have him be this weird telekentic guy was a waste to me. Paralax needed the comic book version not this giant monster. And for me I have seen one to many super hero movies where there is more than one bad guy, and it just gets sloppy.

I re watch this now and then, but i still cringe through the entire movie. There are a handful of good scenes for me to really enjoy.

I can’t come near the 4 stars rating. For me this is just one of the many skeletons that stays in the closet because I just cant force myself to do the right thing and throw it away.

For me this is a movie I love to hate.

I am perfectly fine with others loving the snot out of this movie.
This is just my take. My worthless 2 cents.

At least they didnt put nipples on the uniform.

P,S, I was also P.Od when there was not even a random unknown GL in the Justice League movie. BUT there was a slight mention of the Corps in general in a monologue. We got Martian Manhunter in the Snyder Cut in the middle ish and end but that didnt help much.

2 Likes

I actually liked this movie. I did hear people say mostly negative things, but I remember thinking it was good. It has been 10 year since I have seen it, so I need to rewatch it.

2 Likes

I also wanted to say, with Ryan Reynolds acting chops as usually being a sarcastic /funny individual in any role he plays, especially with Dead Pool, he should be recast into DC, in the future either as a voice actor, or live action, as Ambush Bug or The Creeper.

2 Likes

I’d love to see Ryan Reynolds return to DC - I agree, I think he’d really excel in some voice acting roles if he doesn’t want to do live-action again.

3 Likes