Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

I started reading this book on the DCU. After reading the first book of 3, I loved it so much I had to go get a physical copy. Plus, me being from the Seattle made it a no brainer. I loved this from beginning to end!

I think I will be reading more of GA from Grell. His version of Arrow is amazing.

8 Likes

Mike Grell is the master of Green Arrow. His pencil work is inimitable.

7 Likes

I’m looking forward to reading it. I’m saving it, along with a few others I’ve never read that I’ve heard all good things about. Just to have a gem to look forward to while I’m working my way thru other titles.

2 Likes

I never was into the Green Arrow books. I think Grell may have changed this for me.

3 Likes

This is so good

1 Like

Awesome, I cant wait. I haven’t read a solo Arrow title in forever. Arrow was one of the 1st comics I read as a kid. Been way too long since I’ve gotten back to his solo stuff. I’ll be starting with this one.

It’s no doubt that the dark violent version of Green Arrow, AKA the best version, now on the CW is a combination of Grell and his athleticism in the new line.
Grell gave him incredible depth however.

1 Like

Grell run had one of my Top-3 story titles ever: “Seattle & Die!”

1 Like

I just read Longbow Hunters last week and honestly I didn’t like it as much as I hoped. Art was gorgeous, the Yakuza elements were interesting, but I just didn’t think it was in the same top tier as other really great DC comics. Loved Arrows new look though

2 Likes

Read it & all the Arrows on here. Awesome material.

I recently finished it. It was so Chinatown-esque, I was glued. It was really heart-wrenching with Dinah. The short black hair really throws me off though. I really liked the conversation they had about children. It hurt but I completely understood where she was coming from. Also, “Sherwood Florist”? Heck yes.

This is the first book I got on digital after losing the physical copy in a move across the Atlantic (must have left it behind, dammit). It is a masterpiece yet, paradoxically, it ruined Green Arrow for me. Nothing else comes close.

The Longbow Hunters is another incredible example of how a complete universe reboot can be done well. So much work went into Crisis and the History of DC. Mike Grell didn’t simply give “his take” on Green Arrow. Instead, he was taking his time to find a place for Oliver Queen in the real world.
In my opinion, the Longbow Hunters, Hawkworld, Emerald Dawn, and the Atlantis Chronicles are all fantastic examples where we see a concerted effort by DC editors to recreate a compelling universe.

1 Like

The Longbow Hunters is one of my all-time favourites. Now that Arrow is over, I think it would make a great DC movie in the style of Joker – lower budget, 80s setting, gritty tone, and no connection to a shared universe.

2 Likes