Great Books No One Read

Gotham Academy!

2 Likes

Gotham Central. Anyone read that or am I wrong and it’s popular?

1 Like

@djd187.81432
It’s pretty popular, I’d say.

2 Likes

@Mae Gotham Academy is pretty darn fun.

I haven’t read Second Semester, but the original series was one of my favorite Batman books at the time it was being published.

5 Likes

Major Bummer

1 Like

Thank you for all the people reminding me about Gotham Academy! Now I know what I’m downloading and reading during the drive from Illinois to Texas this Saturday!

3 Likes

One I always vouch for is Superman: Secret Identity. It came out around the same time as Superman: Red Son, so it didn’t get the recognition it deserved. Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen gave us a story about a guy in our world named Clark Kent who one day wakes up with the powers of Superman. It’s more a character piece than it is a full on superhero story, but if you’re not tearing by the end of it, I dunno what to tell you.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who didn’t like the Flintstones comics? It may be that I loved the classic cartoon and occasionally animated revisits to the characters, so the dialogue feeling like the writer was trying to be “in the now”/modern despite it being a cartoon with characters supposedly living in the Stone Age (tho with some {then} current appliances and “tech”). I just feel like if someone wanted the Flintstones to be headlong into (to them) futurist atmosphere, just throw them into a time traveling plot. At least that could hold up better.

1 Like

Gotham Academy is my absolute favorite! It’s criminally underated!

Also Scooby Apocalypse is shockingly good

3 Likes

I love Scooby Apocalypse and Gotham Academy! I read 3 pages of the Flintstones and put it back on the rack.

1 Like

Yes to the 00’s Manhunter such a great underrated series

2 Likes

Azzarello and Risso’s Batman/Broken City. One of my favorite Batman’s story. I read it at least 2x a year. The gorgeous graphic artwork of Risso with Brian’s self deprecating Batman saga are so layered, that I often forget who is the killer.

No sci-fi, no special effects, no super powers, no robotic Batman costume, just a plain noir detective story. Even Killer Croc is just a man with a bad skin condition. The scene of Bruce grilling a steak while talking to police detective on the phone is worth the price of the book.

1 Like

Anyways, I think a lot of DC You (2014-2015 releases) stuff was skipped over. Obviously, I’m not the only one that read them, but a lot of them are really spectacular and different takes on characters. Doctor Fate, The Omega Men, Prez, Bat-Mite, We Are Robin, Damian Son of Batman, Batgirl, and Gotham Academy are all awesome, and not many people read them.

I don’t know many people that have read the New 52 book I, Vampire. It was a launch book of the N52 and got cancelled pretty quickly. I thought that was an awesome book. It just came out at a terrible time given it’s proximity to Twilight.

2 Likes

Batwing52

Good to know, thanks for info. I really wasn’t sure, cuz I came across it in a crossover, just 1 issue, & it made me research it. Just based off that single issue, I loved the art & how they told the stories from the POV of the officers in the GCPD. Reminded me of The Wire from HBO. Glad to know it’s getting it’s just attention deservingly so.

Yeah, it’s my fourth favorite comic of all time.

Im not sure Invincible counts. It has been going on for ages so someone reads them.

Am I allowed to go Marvel, because if I am then Darkhawk.

It’a fairly popular on here but I would have to say Infinity Inc. It is wonderful and fun and I love Jade and Obsidian. But pretty much no one talks about it and when I mention it I get pretty blank stares.

Also Demon Knights, always Demon Knights.

@LeifRed
I put Invincible up there more because it tends not to get the acclaim that Walking Dead does than any other reason. I haven’t read Infinity Inc. I’ve heard a lot of really good and really bad. It’s on my “to read” list though, it’s just that that’s about a mile and a half long.