Great Books No One Read

What are some great comics that you think were the only one to read? As far as recent ones go, Mark Russel’s Flintstones and Marv Wolfman’s Man and Superman one-shot come to mind. As far as older stuff goes, Robert Kirkman’s Invincible and the ‘00s Manhunter come to mind.

4 Likes

There was a run of really great books in the very late 90’s that would fit this decsription: Chase, Chronos and Resurrection Man, just to name a few.

5 Likes

“Great” might be a bit of a stretch, but Azrael’s solo series is surprisingly compelling.

4 Likes

For an obscure one, The Humans, about a biker gang in a “Planet of the Apes” style world where apes have evolved past humans. The gang calls themselves “The Humans”. It’s obscene and foul, but very funny and damn entertaining.

And for a classic I wish more has read, Corto Maltese. Feel like I get crickets whenever I bring it up, but it’s an absolute treasure. Some of the best sequential art of all time.

3 Likes

I’m enjoying China Mievelle’s Dial H.

2 Likes

Camelot 3000 a great and under appreciated book. There are so many DC firsts with that book. First maxi-series, first direct-market book & first book printed in Baxter paper, rather than newsprint. It is the prototype of the modern comic book we have today.

2 Likes

Because it was Wildstorm, rather than DC proper

Planetary

Great riff on the hulk, doc savage, the spider and pulp heroes, japenese monster films, hong kong action flicks, marilyn monroe, 1950s science fiction movies, sherlock holmes, dracula, tarzan, the lone ranger, superman, wonder woman, green lantern, the fantastic four, space exploration in the 19th century, and many other concepts, all from a new angle.

3 Likes

@DeadmanBrand The Humans was tremendous fun! Dug that a lot.

My picks would be 80s books (that I’m dying to see added to DCU, although I have the individual comics in my garage) - Atari Force and Thriller. Those 2 started my down the road of DC’s more obscure output like The Wanderers (still collecting), Nathaniel Dusk. And all that falls in line with my love of characters like Blue Devil, Phantom Stranger, Deadman and some of the other less-popular, “supernatural” characters.

1 Like

Was the biggest fan of The Secret Society of Super Villans-still have them upstairs. Broke my heart when the series was cancelled.

@superby1
Yay! I’m not the only one who’s read Chase!

Wildstorm’s Divine Right: The Adventures of Max Faraday and Threshold from wave 3 of The New 52 are two of my top picks.

Divine Right is the Jim Lee book that evidently nobody knows about, while Threshold is the New 52 Green Lantern book that seemingly few people have read.

3 Likes

I’ve really gotten into the silencer. For a comic that’s not as mainstream as some others it’s excellent imho.

Martin Pasko had a run on Swamp Thing 10 years ahead of its time that fell between the cracks of two (justifiably) legendary ones. X-Files meets Vertigo before either was a thing.

1 Like

The DCYou era Martian Manhunter and Hellblazer. Both great arcs with amazing art.

3 Likes

@simondelmonte Agreed on the DC You Martian Manhunter series. I think it’s the best solo MM book ever.

1 Like

Yeah, Rob Williams wrote some good books (y’know, Pre-Suicide Squad). To those who haven’t read Unfollow, that absolutely falls into the category of this thread.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if nobody reads it, but I really think the Injustice comics are great. I think more people just play the game, and it gives the game a whole new depth once you’ve read the comics

1 Like

Mary Collins Swamp Thing

John Byrnes Doom Patrol 04

Hammerlocke

1 Like

The Justice League/Power Rangers crossover miniseries. Read it a couple months ago but haven’t seen anyone talk about it. I thought it was great!

2 Likes