Grant Morrison?

How do you guys feel about him? Do you like his writing style? If so, why? And what is your favorite story from him? If not, why? And what is your least favorite story from him?

1 Like

I Love Morrison! I think he is a genius and I share his world view in more than one way. I think his writing style is layered and clear, he really has mastered the voice of several characters and understands what makes them tick. Best story is obviously All Star Superman, love it to death. Worst is his run on Batman, I’m not a big fan of him turning Batman into a Global Corp. and removing the gothic horror that would later return in Scott Snyder’s run.

I love all star superman, I hought that was amazing. I’m currently reading his run on doom patrol, im liking it so far.

1 Like

I’ve only ever liked his JLA run. I have to admit, I’m not part of the cult of personality he seems to have. That’s not to say he’s terrible or there is anything wrong with him, but I never got into his other works the way others have. Like any other writer, he has his good and bad. For example his JLA/JSA crossover during his JLA run was an excellent four part story, but he’s also responsible for perpetuating the “Bat-God” trope.

1 Like

I wouldn’t put it all on him- he may have started it, but other writers took the ball and ran with it. About a year after he had his moment defeating 4 White Martians, Morrison had Prometheus humble Batman.

I love Grant’s writing with All Star Superman being hands down the best, although his run on JLA is my favorite.

Technically Miller started it, but in Morrison’s JLA run and his run on Batman, it really got out of hand. This was something in the mid-nineties to the early oughts that I was never a fan of.

Totally agree, That is another reason why I’m not a huge fan of his Batman

Now, here’s something I have to give Morrison credit for: he’s a man of variety. He doesn’t stick to one genre.

1 Like

I am not his biggest fan, but his run on JLA was great. His Final Crisis–? King Lear is easier to understand.

I love Grant Morrison comics in general, but DC comics especially.

After decades of reading superhero comics, when the ideas for success seem to naturally drift from one kind of formulaic to another kind of formulaic, Grant Morrison comics continue to astound. His stories are not only overfilled with imaginative ideas, but they are often skimmed over leaving me hungering for more. So many modern comics gave up even trying to do that, Grant Morrison never has.

3 Likes

Not an expert on Morrison, but I have mixed feelings about his writing in general. I’ve liked his work on Superman. All Star Superman is a classic of course, and his Action Comics run at the beginning of the New 52 was great. Other than that, I have read Batman Inc (via digital trades, not knowing there was years of his Batman preceding it), Multiversity, and currently reading his Green Lantern. All three of those titles share the ability to utterly confuse me, while at the same time not being able to put them down. It’s like, I enjoy the vibe and the setting, but I don’t fully understand what’s going on. Do I think his work is “genius” like many say? No, and I don’t think that’s what I look for in a comic book either. I just want to be transported and entertained. Morrison does that, but sometimes gives me a nice little headache to go along with it :joy:.

2 Likes

On the one hand, Grant Morrison is a genius who uses the medium of comics and the genre of superheroes to expound upon ideas of philosophy and metaphysics. His work on Animal Man almost moved me to tears, and his work on Doom Patrol has had a grand influence across multiple forms of media over thirty years after the fact. His JLA run has defined how Batman appears to the rest of the superhero community, and with All-Star Superman, he wrote the best story featuring the Man of Steel, hands down and bar none. Era-dominating and genre-defining.

On the other hand, he gave us Damian Wayne.

So…

He’s alright? I mean, I guess?

1 Like

Give the man some sand and he’ll reconstruct a universe. Anything is possible in a Morrison-helmed title and often not what one might expect. I’ve appreciated his exploratory imagination at the very least.

1 Like

Yes, he gave up Damian.

Cool guys. I’ve only read All-Star Superman, Batman Arkham Asylum, his run on Batman up to the Batman Incorporated stuff, and about half of his JLA. I have the first volume of his Animal Man in my room waiting to be read. I like him sometimes, but he can also confuse the living crap out of me.

2 Likes

He is my favorite comic book writer. His work demands multiple readings and takes chances. That’s rare in any entertainment, but especially mainstream comics. All-Star Superman is great, but Final Crisis holds a special place in my heart. I also love Damian.

1 Like

Grant Morrison needs a good editor. The man is a fountain of great ideas, and he usually starts the story with a well thought out bang. But his follow through lacks cohesion.

2 Likes

I feel like on occasion, Morrison stories read more like poetry than prose. Linear, straight-forward, spoon-fed plot takes a backseat to the idea and imagery he deems integral to his stories. Yes, that sometimes makes reading his stories a challenge, but the challenge always feels rewarding to me.

1 Like

I really enjoy the work I’ve read. I have not read everything, especially some of his bigger stuff, but the things I read I do enjoy. Animal Man is Morrison at his best. He knows what he has planned and knows what he wants to do with it. The same with All-Star Superman. I think Morrison is at his strongest when he’s not just doing a run, but his own story. He needs to slim out his content sometimes, but I understand comics somewhat rely on filler in a story.

He gets very distracted while he writes, but ties it back in. He does that so well that you forget that he was ranting a little bit, but that can faulter in some cases. I love his passion for the Silver Age, he makes me want to read those stories even though they aren’t the best.

Without Damian, Super Sons would not exist, the comic is awesome. Also Damian needs time to grow, and I enjoy that some writers spend the time to do that.

His beliefs in Wicca and Chaos Theory shouldn’t be a deterrent, but he heavily preaches about it in his books. I enjoy the weirdness of the books, but not everyone will.

Overall, he can be a strong writer and had really good content, but his stories can get out there or can be badly told without the right context.

He inflicted Damian on the world. I don’t think I’ll ever truly be able to get over that. Aside from that, sometimes his weirdness works for me, sometimes it doesn’t.