Gotham City's Got A New Bad Girl...And We're Kinda In Love!

Alright… next step is to keep her 110% evil. A lot of the Batman female villains have turned good over the years.

(This may or not apply to Talia, that’s more up to the interpretation to some people)

6 Likes

I have no idea what direction this character is going but I mimic everyone who’s complimented her look. She’s awesome! And so vibrant for a dark city like Gotham. Totally dig it :batparrot:

3 Likes

Not really feeling it

4 Likes

yeah it almost feels like there are no female batman villains that evil, ivy and Harley are pretty much anti heroes now, Selena dances between full on hero and anti hero, and Talia has become as much damian’s villain as bats maybe even more. i’d love some more female villains who stay evil or don’t die

3 Likes

Thanks for joining us to share your reaction, @jackfloyd10.87683! Hopefully she’ll grow on you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The art looks so good!

1 Like

Well that design won’t be dated in a decade… /s

1 Like

And then someone will bring her up with a modern outfit for that time. Comics are cyclical like that.

2 Likes

I guess. Anyway it hurts my eyes to even look at this design, though. It’s rare that I instantly hate something but this design is too visually busy and clashing for my tastes. Although outside of the 80th Anniversary Robin, I haven’t bought a new Batman comic in over 10 years so, who cares what I think?

1 Like

I think that’s the point? She looks to me like a modern day kid’s take on the 80s/90s cyberpunk look. Appropriate to both her role in the Gotham underground and the period most cyberpunk stories were set. (i.e. “now”)

2 Likes

Is the cyberpunk revival fad still going on? I thought that burned out around 2014 or so. I’m too old to follow this stuff anymore though.

EDIT: I want to publicly apologize, my last few posts not just in this thread but others have had kind of a strong negative streak to them. I’m sorry.

1 Like

Heh, I didn’t know there was a previous revival. I just saw her look and thought it was going for that vibe, but the way “today’s kids” might interpret it. If there was a revival, I’m sure the new video game has kickstarted a bit a resurgence, but I think any of that is tangential to the usage of it as a specific throwback in her look. (See also Alice Tesla’s neo-Steampunk look, Jericho’s neo-Renaissance, Crush’s neo-Punk, and so on…)

(And I know you weren’t apologizing to me specifically, but in this thread at least, I don’t think you have anything to apologize for. We’re not all going to love all the same things.)

1 Like

Yeah, I just remember there was a mild revival of cyberpunk media around that started around 2010. It was most concentrated in gaming, with a Deus Ex sequel, several indie titles like EYE Divine Cybermancy but severa cyberpunk movies like Robocop and Blade Runner got rebooted.

I’m also thinking from the perspective of the art team, she looks like a nightmare to draw, with the complex costume, color and texture.

(I just feel like I could have worded my responses in a less confrontational way. I also in an unrelated thread brought up that Amazon’s shipping frequently damages trade paperbacks which is mildly negative.)

2 Likes

I don’t remember much of a fad back then (steampunk, but not cyberpunk), but I think the Cyberpunk 2077 game brought it back into the spotlight.

Besides, I think Cyberpunk is a genre that totally works for Batman.

2 Likes

I mean, there was Deus Ex coming back very prominently alongside more cult stuff like EYE Divine Cybermancy and failed reboots like Syndicate and the Robocop remake. It’s kind of a redundant genre at this point because we do live in a constantly connected (some would say) dystopia with far too much power given to corporate entities. I could probably cite a few more examples if I opened up my old Steam account.

1 Like