Golden Age Detective Comics - Batman Kills!

Same here. I only read the Batman stories. Some issues only have the Batman stories.

1 Like

They need to add the rest of the issues.

2 Likes

I have always wanted to see the gun-toting pseudo-Golden Age Batman that Rags Morales drew for First Wave team up with the t-shirt and jeans pseudo-Golden Age Superman that Morales drew for the New 52. They could team up to use lethal force on some gangsters and Nazis in a throwback story set in the Great Depression.

3 Likes

I forgot about World’s Finest. I think I’m going to stick to Batman and Detective for now and maybe update my spreadsheet once I get up to 1956.

2 Likes

In the 4th story of Batman 8, The Joker is wanted and the President of The United States sends for Batman and Robin. They arrive in DC to a parade. The Joker leaves a clue and he’s headed to my state!

Title Issue 1941 Killer Deaths
Detective Comics 47 1/1/1941 - -
Detective Comics 48 2/5/1941 - 2 Two guards at Fort Stox gun down two of Renaldo’s henchmen who are in the vault room via underground cave.
Detective Comics 49 3/5/1941 Clayface 1 Clayface strangles a clerk at a make up supply company.
Batman 4 3/5/1941 - - First story Batman mentions to Robin about not taking a life *Final story has editors note that Batman doesn’t carry a gun and never kills.
Detective Comics 50 4/2/1941 - -
Detective Comics 51 5/7/1941 - -
Detective Comics 52 6/4/1941 - -
Detective Comics 53 7/2/1941 - -
Batman 5 7/2/1941 Joker 3 1st Batmobile with Batface design.Joker sabotages his own crew locking them in a room with Batman and Robin
Detective Comics 54 8/6/1941 - -
Batman 6 8/6/1941 1.Batman, 2.Clockmaker Robin 3.Robin 1,3,1,1 1st story - Batman chooses not to save the crooked parole board racketeer falling to his death down an elevator shaft. 2nd story - Clockmaker kills two shareholders with replacement clocks that strike 13 times. The third shareholder plotted with the clockmaker and double crosses him. The clockmaker kills him with a sythe. Robin pulls the clockmaker out of a clocktower leaving him to fall to his death.3rd story - Robin acts quickly and stops Graham Masters from shooting Batman in the back. The gun twists around and kills Masters.
Detective Comics 55 9/3/1941 Batman 3 Batman punches a large man into boiling water/metal at a factory. Later knocks two “spies” off a blimp to their deaths. The blimps commander shoots a pistol that causes the blimp to explode into a fiery mess.
Detective Comics 56 10/1/1941 Batman and Robin 5 Batman and Robin push the strongman of a traveling circus into a pillar in an underground mine killing 5 men who were trying to scare the town away for the silver mine under the town.
Batman 7 10/1/1941 - -
Detective Comics 57 11/5/1941 - -
Detectice Comics 58 12/3/1941 Penguin 2 1st Penguin Penguin kills a mob boss and takes control of his men. Later as Batman and Robin foil a diamond robbery, Penguin shoots acid at his henchman killing him.
Batman 8 12/3/1941 Joker 2 The Joker kills two former henchmen with cigars that emit gas that kills instantly. He also paints over the white lines causing a bus filled with jewelers to plunge to their deaths. The number of people on the bus is unknown.

This took me a few weeks to complete once again. I do enjoy reading these but older comics are just a bit more wordy. It is nice you get a complete story in the pages but so many details are just left out. Batman killed 9 in 1941 and Joker killed 5.

So far it looks like in 3 years Batman has killed 35 criminals while the Joker has killed 20+. I say 20 plus because it wasn’t disclosed the amount of people on a bus in Batman #8. I think eventually this project will focus on Joker’s total kill count. Oy vey!

2 Likes

It was World War II at the time though. So I guess it makes sense at the time. It was the first 2 years Batman has existed for. Can’t expect everything to already happen.

2 Likes

I am surprised at how few of these kills are with a gun. The only ones I can find is the vampires, and Bats is normally portrayed as fine with killing the undead.

4 Likes