Giving props to community 1.x, it did help create our community...

As we all await Community 2.0, let us take a moment and give respect to community 1.x (and the mods that kept it together.)

Community 1.x had its faults, to be sure. But for as frustrating as it could be sometimes, it did its job. It was integral in creating our real DCU community and the friendships we’ve grown along the way.

Do I anxiously await 2.0? Ab-so-freakin-loutley. But, 1.0 will always be special, even for all its…uhmmm…idiosyncrasies. It helped bring us together, sparked lively debate on virtually all things DC, it gave birth to watch-alongs, book clubs, Answer the Question trivia contests.

While I’m not sure how much it will be missed, for those of us that “thrived and survived” this first year, it will also hold great memories.

Hats off to the mods who kept it running as smooth as possible. (Sometimes I think with spit, bubblegum, bailing wire, duct tape, the power of positive thinking and most of all a lot of hard work.)

Community 1.x had its foibles, but it will remain a legend in the DCU.

In the brief time we have left, what is your fondest memory of 1.0?

27 Likes

@Desade acolyte

Thanks for creating this.

I was hopeing that Community 1.0 would get a respectful retirement from us.

Community 1.0 had its problems. No editing, an auto correction that changed meaning, even if you Copy/Paste you got strange formating, which even if you corrected, would reformat again. Adding images was convoluted.

But we still could communicate fully with it. Its ‘personality’ even added some fun to the posts, made us humble.

The new Community 2.0 is an improvement in many ways, but like you never forget your first comic book, super hero tv show or movie, or first love, we will always remember you, Community 1.0

Long let us remember Community 1.0

Hear. Hear.

5 Likes

I will be going through withdrawal as we wait for 2.0.

4 Likes

I really feel like DC gave us a rough outline of a fan subscription service and said “ok folks, here’s what we are looking to build, now you guys help us fill it out and create something we all can love.”

Really letting the fans create the service the fans want and i absolutely love them for it.

Great things are coming in time. I can smell it in the air😁

6 Likes

I have to say, I’ll miss Community 1.0. Sure, it’s not perfect, but it IS how I was introduced to everyone here. It’s been my first real experience with an online forum PERIOD. Farewell, Community 1.0, rest well old friend. We shall remember you always.

6 Likes

I’ll miss these digs, too. Community 1.X was kind of a ramshackle feature, but it was our home. But I am excited for the future!

4 Likes

Frankly, I hadn’t known until today. An upgrade is most welcome, and the frustrations with not being able to edit posts, and other things.

I subscribed in the first place for DC’s animation. I had not anticipated DOOM PATROL and (sob) SWAMP THING, although I still haven’t gotten too far into TITANS. Yet.

3 Likes

I’ve only used it for a few weeks, but y’all have been such a welcoming bunch. So long lasting warm fuzzies for the short time spent with 1.0 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Anybody going to change their name to confuse people, thinking about changing it to my Gtag (BeastlyCrawdad).

2 Likes

@Behemoth - I absolutely want to change mine, but eh. It feels kinda weird to at this point.

1 Like

@CynicalPink

If you change your name

All your old threads and post will have your new name.

Try it out if you want.

4 Likes

Oh, thanks for the tip, @TuroksonofStone1950!

2 Likes

I subscribed for the comics, but the Community quickly became my favorite part of this service. I have so many fond memories of Community 1.0 thanks to you all, and I look forward to making many more when the Community returns.

4 Likes

Awesome squid, remember the arrival of the 1000. Ah, good times

2 Likes

I enjoy watch alongs and fan fiction writing (not the best, but I’m working on it).

3 Likes

@TheLegndKillerX How could I forget? Praise the 1000 and its gift of 5!

1 Like

To quote the great Grim Reaper. 1.0 see you in hell my friend

4 Likes

Quick!! Anyone who’s never been to that Lab GO NOW! Post often!

Come to the house that Bozea and Don-El built!

Just… don’t step on any Rons!

https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/random/the-earth--round-as-a-ball

3 Likes

@DeSadeAccolyte

What three creators claim the creation of the Joker?

1 Like

urk my…heart… Thank you for this. Thanks to all the Community Heroes, lurkers, troublemakers, everyone who stopped in and said “a pox on your house, give me edit button, peace out/drop mic.” Every single splinter and salve. Each sting, each soothe, contributed to the motivation to push harder, annoy bureaucracy more, build better internal relationships, ask better questions, find creative solutions.

This project has knitted the DC Universe team into a stronger community in the offices and across the country, as much as it has all of us here on the forums. Without 1.0, we wouldn’t have had a challenge to overcome and make us stronger. After all, why do we fall? So we can learn to something something.

The challenge of establishing heroism and values without the tools to cheat expectations and slyly sweep conflict under the rug has made this Community the best digital space I’ve ever had the honor to be a part of. The Alpha Lanterns in the foxhole have become personal heroes of mine. The way they care about the people in the community, both in making sure everyone is having a good time and manually keeping the shrapnel to a minimum, with diligence, commitment, grace and good humor in the face of redundant questions and comments seen only seen in military interrogation tactics, is truly metahuman.

But the reason we try so hard, the reason we care so much, is because, like all of you, we discovered a huge group of incredible people who we had no idea existed a little over a year ago. Hilarious, witty, well-spoken, thoughtful, kind, challenging, frustrating-but-ugh-they’re-right, humble, creative, generous, all the best parts of humanity that only DC could attract. Who you are gives enormous horsepower to our efforts.

As long as there is a corporate infrastructure that (bewilderingly but don’t question it, just, okay, you mean it? All right if you say so but-) supports its fans and gives them a seat right at the head of the table, we are going to keep representing your voice the best we can. And if we get it wrong, let us know, we’ll try to swallow our human pride.

@Vroom glob dammit you pushed the weird wet stuff in my eyes over the edge.

Back to work! :muscle: See you on the other side, and enjoy the party at the end of the world. :heart::blue_heart::green_heart:

11 Likes