Getting people into the Comic Hobby

Has anyone successfully turned someone on to comic books to where they became a regular reader?
Maybe you loaned them a TPB or a few floppies after they mentioned liking one of the movies or something and it brought them into the fold.
Is there anything you’ve tried before? I’ve read of people who would give out single issues on Halloween and I’m also thinking of trying it this year with a lot of the back issues and things like the Facsimile Editions both Marvel & DC are going to be putting out would be a good way to go.
I mentioned in the Hawkman thread buying a few of the TPB’s for Volume 1 and giving them to out to people.
A local comic book store is giving weekly issues to a few coffee shops to sell from their store I’m aware of in my state, anyway.
I’m just really interested in getting more people turned on to comics and keeping the medium going for another hundred years.

2 Likes

That comics for halloween is a great idea!!

3 Likes

I think comics are definitely making a comeback, obviously thanks to the large success of comicbook movies in the past 10 years like The Dark Knight Trilogy, The MCU, Aquaman, etc. I think I read an article a few weeks back that the overall comic industry was on a steady climb, 2018 saw 80 million$$ more than 2017.

I think the fact that the publishers have now embraced the digital market, the only path for comics is to go up. Rebirth was very successful for DC, Fresh Start was very successful for Marvel.

Getting people into comics is not as hard as it use to be. Now its like, “Did you like Aquaman? You should check out Geoff Johns run or did you like Doom Patrol, check out Grant Morrisons run” Comicbook talk has now become more common among friends than ever, thanks to the movies and tv shows. You have all this amazing content that is stemming from comics.

3 Likes

The Arkham video games were a bug part of what got me into comics.

2 Likes

I’ve had some non-comic-reading friends of mine read comics that they’ve enjoyed before, but never really to the level of considering themselves comic enthusiasts.

1 Like

Hobby? I thought this was a Life.

3 Likes

What @Misfit said. I mean, comics and DC have dominated 5/6 of my life so far, so…

To the point, I’ve got a few people into comics over the years. In high school, a guy I knew named Earl got into them via an issue or two of Wizard I would bring to school.

We chatted about them here and there in class as he’d flip through the Wizard I had with me at a given time. As of 2000, he was still into them, so I’d like to thank a guy I know named Earl…for getting into comics.

More recently, I’ve had success with “turns” thanks to espousing the ease of digital comics.

I was talking to a gal named Sheila and she said “Comics look like fun, but they take up alot of space and those boxes get heavy, right?” I said “That can be true, but with digital it’s not.” She perked up after that and is still reading.

1 Like

@Misfit
Well, comics are a hobby to me. Much as I love reading and collecting, I tend to work a lot more than I read comics.