getting frustrated with missing shows and content

Why do we not have all DC movies?? And series? We should have all DC material

3 Likes

We don’t have all the DC shows and movies due to licensing agreements with other streaming sites. For instance, the CW DC shows have a contract with Netflix. They have to wait until that contract ends if they want to put the Arrowverse shows on DC Universe.

3 Likes

Honestly posts like this are becoming annoying and redundant.

4 Likes

@WonderFlash93 that doesn’t explain all of the other content that was here less than a month ago and is now gone. The TV series section alone is half the size it was at the beginning of the month. @RagdollRebel it’s almost as if there are a bunch of people upset that content is being arbitrarily taken away from them, and fanpoeple are too busy saying “OMG THE CW SHOWS HAVE LICENISING AJMNFDKDAbg” as if there wasn’t twice as much content on the site 2 weeks ago than there is now.

@mmcguire Look at it this way the average comic these days cost $3.99 so basically for the price of just shy of two comic books you get hundreds of comics, a small but honestly good and changing selection be of tv and film, original content and this pretty tight community. Nobody can say you’re not getting their moneys worth. I would have killed for this app when I was a kid. Trust me DC and Warner Bros aren’t trying to piss you off, there must be a rhyme or a reason why things get added/subtracted. Most does have to do with license agreements. Just like how XMen and Fantastic 4 were owned by Fox and couldn’t be used by MARVEL in the MCU until just recently. It’s all business man. I’m curious though why do you think the selection of this app fluctuates? Do you really think Warner Bros just wants to play god with a bunch of fan boys emotions?

2 Likes

there are 3 possibilities, none of them are good. 1: The service is unable to support itself and all of the removed content has been licensed out to other networks/streaming services over the last few weeks. This makes the general user less confident in the service, and less likely to commit to watching any of the shows that aren’t YJ:O or Titans as they could disappear at any moment. 2: They are just removing the programs that have low views as they think “people don’t want to watch this anyway apparently.” This is also bad for basically the same reasons. 3:They are trying to create a sense of artificial scarcity/ are trying to act like other streaming services “to keep things fresh” (a phrase the mods have been fond of using in response to threads like this in the last few weeks.) This would be the worst option of them all in my eyes. If a show/movie isn’t currently licensed out then it should be here; full stop. Finally to address what you said about the comics side of things, no there are not “hundreds of comics” currently available, and I am no longer confident in starting any of the MAYBE 50 that are there now. I was reading Batgirl Year One (and loving it) but then it was gone, and I was only on issue 3. Now I’m going to have to go out and buy the books anyway. This whole experience over the last 2 weeks has left me feeling ripped off, and I would definitely not say that I’ve gotten my money’s worth. If the service had the same amount of content that it did when I signed up 2 weeks ago, I would have said it was a start, but they’ve been moving backwards since then.

Bro there’s literally 115 issues of Action Comics and 97 issues of Green lantern. That alone is worth $80 a year. I spend $80 a week on comics and only walk away with 20 or 30 issues. Just because your unreasonable expectation isn’t being met doesn’t mean there is some grand failure on Warner Bros part.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be real with you; I literally just figured out that the comics I was complaining about weren’t gone, just hidden; which is a different, albeit lesser issue. I still am 100% upset with the TV/movie/cartoon side of the site, but I retract my complaints about the comic side. Other than they should put the “View all” button at the top not the bottom, or otherwise make it more apparent that the “splash page” isn’t all that’s available in the comic section the way it is in the TV section.

2 Likes

I mean I get it, I would love to be able to watch the Chris Nolan movies or Smallville any time I want, that would be awesome but that’s not how it works. DCU seem committed to making new content which is awesome! There’s going to be a new episode of content every week of 2019. How many other streaming services promise that? Not netflix, which costs almost twice as much and I’m only interested in a Third of their catalog. What brought me here was Titans all the other stuff is just icing on the cake. Nobody ever promised or advertised that this app would grant unlimited access to DC’s entire catalog of media.

1 Like

Everything on this service is part of a licensing deal that was old before DC Universe was even an idea. For movies and TV you have the other streaming services and TV channels.

Comics are more complicated. DC has deals with ComiXology that go back to before the New 52 and with Amazon going back to the first generation kindle tablets. They also have a deal with Barnes and Noble for the nook. These deals are further complicated that everyone who has ever “bought” a DC comic from one these retailers is really just licensing it. That means these deals have to be long term because as annoying as it is to have something you’re reading pulled off a subscription service and replaced with something else its far worse when its something you paid for specifically and it gets replaced with nothing (I know this from first hand experience).

Its also likely that there are clauses that prevent DC from including entire trades for far less money than what they sell for here. This is probably why there are missing issues in almost every “complete” series on here.

Bottom line: we are probably never getting a true DC Unlimited. That ship sailed when DC didn’t follow Marvel immediately (MU predates both Comixology and Amazon). The question is whether they can fix enough of the problems to make a limited service like this worth it for those of us who accept that this is the best we’re probably going to get.

1 Like

No complaints on comics agree with you.