Geoff Johns Green Lantern

I want to read Geoff Johns Green lantern run and I was going to do so by collecting the omnibuses but I was curious if the omnibuses come with concept art or anything else extra or is it just the story? Also is that the best way to read it or should I collect the trades instead?

1 Like

It should come with some of the art at the back of the book. It will collect sketches and varient covers likely

1 Like

I actually just recently started reading Geoff John’s run on here and I’ve been enjoying. Can’t speak for the trades or omnibus

2 Likes

I covered a bunch of his run when I was researching Sinestro. I found it quite interesting. He literally rebuilt not just the Green Lantern Corps, but created its own world & mythos. The closest thing I’ve seen to that type of “world building” on that scale, was Kirby’s 4th world.

I read it all on here. So you have the option of reading it on here and collecting the omnibuses.

Either way I do recommend his run. The nice thing about here, is there are things that might or might not be included in a GL omnibus, such as Sinestro Corps wars. But they might also be included.

2 Likes

So I was torn on this. I have the first volume of three. They have like 30-40 pages of extra materials at the end. What you need to know though is it’s just what they deem necessary for his run. The side stories aren’t complete. So we get what was deemed core but not everything.

I shied away from the other two volumes since I had all of the trades for Blackest Night already.

Cost wise on Amazon you would come out ahead of all the trades that build up the omnibuses. But… they’re extremely large and you feel like after a while the spine is going to give out.

I keep tweaking this list as I learn more but maybe this helps. Here’s what I used to figure out to not buy the other two based on what I already had.
Johns Run GL Reading List Up to New 52

Vol 3 is mostly New 52 before Venditti

1 Like

It’s also better if you also read Green Lantern Corps along with the Johns series.

1 Like

I had grown up with comics, the movies, and shows just always being around. But I never was a weekly Wednesday warrior until 2006. I skipped a college class and was walking in my neighborhood when I saw a Subway and wanted lunch. Right next door was a comic shop and I had never been in one of those. I didn’t know it was a thing. On the shelf was Green Lantern #9 which had just come out that week. On the cover was Batman and Hal. I had to get it. Green Lantern had long been a person favorite of mine, there were old GL comics in a box in our attic that I read a few dozen times. Reading GL 9 was great because it was stand alone, but it was clearly building on a strong run. I had to know more so I went back to the shop and found the Green Lantern Rebirth hardcover. I was hooked. I now own almost every issue of Green Lantern and read it all. I owe that all to Geoff’s run on Green Lantern.

1 Like