šŸ’¬ General DC Collecting Chit-Chat šŸ’¬

A thread for when you want to discuss anything of interest from the dynamic and captivating worlds of DC collecting, wherein your desired conversation topic does not pertain to something you recently acquired and/or is not part of the collecting news scene.

Whether you just got a new action figure, statue, movie poster, wall scroll, a pair of Green Lantern socks, a new home video purchase, or whatever else floats your collecting boat, and you want to talk about it in great detail, OR you have some random thoughts on DC-based merch in general and you want a place to share them, this is YOUR thread, Super Friends!
:superman_hv_4: :00_wonder_woman_stars: :batparrot: :0_harley_quinn: :tada: :0_lc_green_lantern_jessica_cruz1: :00_green_arrow_rebirth: :00_supergirl:

If youā€™d like to share your recent DC-based picks-ups/finds, please do so here:

If you have news that pertains to DC-based toys, collectibles and other merchandise, please post it here:

Want to voice support for a certain character appearing as an action figure? You may do so here:

The floor is now yours to discuss whatever assorted, random and various DC-based collecting things/topics/thingamabobs that do not already have a thread they can fit in are on your mind, so have fun! :partying_face:

7 Likes

Iā€™ll get the bottle spinninā€™ā€¦

Earlier today, I opened the DC Multiverse Carrie Kelly Robin and Endless Winter Wonder Woman figures by McFarlane Toys.

Both are pretty darn great. CK Robin looks like she stepped right off the page of The Dark Knight Returns, while Wonder Woman has an impressive heft and is very nicely detailed.

My one nit to pick on Wonder Woman is that her ponytail prevents her head from being able to be posed at a perfectly upright position when you want her to look face forward in a neutral pose.

Her head isnā€™t completely angled by any means, and you most definitely can get her posed in a solid vanilla pose. This is just a minute detail that my four eyes picked up on. :nerd_face:

Also, the scabbard for Dianaā€™s sword has the opening that other scabbards in the Multiverse line have had (think those for Deathstroke, as well as both versions of the Last Knight on Earth Wonder Woman), whichā€¦doesnā€™t really bother me, because you honestly donā€™t see the opening all that much (or at all, in the case of the LKOE WW), but it doesnā€™t really need to be there either, because these scabbards should be whole and completely cover the sword, not just the side that faces whomever is behind a particular character.

Anyhow, both figures are pretty sweet and definitely worth a look if you enjoy Wonder Woman and/or the Carrie Kelly Robin.

7 Likes

I have an issue with the McFarlane inspired Wonder Woman. I feel like I canā€™t pose her very well and her sword seems to fall out often. Plus I think her sword is either crooked or just way too big.

7 Likes

Her sword is definitely of a decent heft.

Mine holds it well when Iā€™m posing/playing around with her, but when sheā€™s on-display with other figures, I usually have her holding the sword with the blade facing down, so as to have most of the weight be opposite her hand.

6 Likes

I have mine at the very bottom of my bookcase.

7 Likes

snaps fingers together

Eureka, Iā€™ve the perfect solution! :point_up:t2: :clark_hv_4:

Move her arm up high enough to where the tip of the blade can securely rest against the back of your bookcase.

Iā€™ve done this with figures that bear similarly-styled accessories and it always works. You donā€™t need to worry about the blade falling as her arm is up high and the weight of the blade should be ā€œhandledā€ (for lack of a more polished way to put it) by the wall of the bookcase.

6 Likes

Still waiting on BBTS to fulfill my order on Wondy. Theyā€™re reliable, but usually get the McFarlane stuff later than the big stores. Not sure where she will fit in my collection, but Iā€™ll make room for her.

Regarding the McFarlane designed Wonder Woman sword, I feel like itā€™s a very nicely sculpted & painted piece, but way too big to look good on her, so mine is stashed away.

In my own collecting bubble:

Iā€™m waiting on a big piece from Tweeterhead that I pre-ordered over a year ago:

Hoping they will start shipping this soon (supposedly in the next month), but who knows. I have a spot eyed for it & will share as soon as it arrives.

Speaking of statues, DC Direct have left a huge vacuum. The DC statue market is just not the same without them. Sure thereā€™s companies like Iron Studios, Sideshow, and the extravagantly expensive Prime 1 putting put great piecesā€¦ but DC Direct put out more pieces than all those combined, at a better price to value ratio as well. Sure hope McFarlaneā€™s bid to revive the brand is successful (and they put out something other than just Bat characters).

10 Likes

Digginā€™ that Superman (I probably said so when you originally brought it up, but its so nice that it bears repeating, I find)!

I would bet that weā€™ll see more statues in the Multiverse line this year, and from Black Adam, The Flash and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.

As for comic statues, Iā€™d like to see those in the Multiverse line as well (and you know that if Tood and Friends do something Superman-related, Iā€™ll have to snag it :grin:) and be done by DC Direct too, where applicable.

I canā€™t imagine WBCP let McFarlane Toys effectively absorb DC Direct so as to only do Batman-related statues afterall.

I mean, I sure hope not. I want some Jim Lee statues that I can actually afford, dagnabbit! :joy:

BTW @moro: While I know the year is early, the Endless Winter Wonder Woman is already a contender for my #1 fav basic assortment Multiverse figure of 2022.

What can I say? I like badass women who make for badass action figures. :grin:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s the thing. DC Direct/Collectibles last couple years were terrible in terms of character variety. We criticize McFarlaneā€™s Batman output now, but back then almost every DC Direct statue was Bat family or villain. Seeing Todd pick up basically where they left off is concerning to me just a tad.

Having said that, I like the inclusion of pvc statues in the Multiverse line. What Todd is doing is basically taking the place of DC Direct and the more affordable (but now defunct) Diamond Select DC Gallery line. Having it all come from one place can offer some cool synergies, like weā€™re seeing with all The Batman products.

You & me both, brotherā€¦ you & me both.

6 Likes

How are those?

Iā€™ve seen Shazam, the DKR Catwoman and The Drowned at Walmart and they look pretty darn good.

Iā€™ve seen power armor Lex at Walmart as well in YouTube toy hunt videos, and he looks pretty slick, too.

Worth the price (which is comparable to McFarlaneā€™s Multiverse statues, if memory serves)?

7 Likes

Yeah, theyā€™re worth the $40-$50 price tag. 9ā€ scale, nice sculpts and well applied paints, also surprisingly hefty. Of course theyā€™re PVC, but youā€™re not getting resin/polystone at that price. I always thought they were the perfect ā€œentry levelā€ statues. I think Multiverse statues are going to be 12ā€ scale though, judging by The Batman, so they wonā€™t play nice with DC Gallery. Hereā€™s the three (erā€¦ four, counting that other guy) that I have:

9 Likes

Good to know.

I wasnā€™t planning on snagging any of them, but once I saw Luthor in a toy hunt video, my interest shot up like a sleeping cat when it hears the tuna can opening.

Maybe one day when Iā€™m caught up on current wants and have some extra bones to bury in Walmartā€™s pockets, Iā€™ll look into that Lex statue.

7 Likes

I do have the Diamond Select Green Arrow from the ā€œArrowā€ series, and I do have my eye on that Batman that you showed in your image (Wherever I can find it). But my Arrow statue already made up my mind on Diamond Selectā€™s statues and Iā€™m all in. Other than that Batman statue, Iā€™m planning on gettingā€¦

9 Likes

Nice! Good luck with your hunt. Many of the pieces are sold out and will only be available on the secondary market. Though they are very nice, I wouldnā€™t pay too much of a premium for ā€˜em, so just be wary of folks trying to sell too high.

6 Likes

Thx for the tip. Youā€™d think that not many people would buy these kinds of things to collect or take advantage of them and raise prices, but I get surprised each time that people are fans of these characters or properties lol

7 Likes

Mā€™kay, I opened the McFarlane Black Adam a while ago, and heā€™s pretty darn rad.

The sculpt is nice, with ample detail all through his suit and his face perfectly conveys the strength and (sometimes to an arrogant degree) confidence that Teth-Adam is known for.

The articulation is solid, especially in his upper torsoā€™s butterfly joints. They move very smoothly and allow for a nice range of movement.

The lightning effect pieces are rad accessories, and once you get them on, they really add a nice charge to Adamā€™s overall aesthetic, especially if you have him posed to where heā€™s ready to rumble.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if parts of this figure are used for the movie Black Adam, and if they were thatā€™d be fine, because its a sensible reuse.

Also, Iā€™m betting we see the lightning effect pieces again and again, which is fine, because once again, its sensible reuse.

If and when we get a New 52 Shazam in the Multiverse line, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that heā€™ll be a kitbash of parts from this Adam and new tooling as well.

Overall, a very solid figure, and a groovy addition to the growing JSA ranks of the Multiverse line.

6 Likes

I just opened up my Superman from The Dark Knight. His head was being a little stiff so i tried turning it and well it broke right off. Itā€™s my first one to happen to me like this.

6 Likes

Man, that sucks

5 Likes

:00_batgirl_cass_cain: My THE BATMAN by McFarlane figure review. :00_batman_1989:

So starting with Batman himself, I really like this figure. The details it is pretty on point with how the actual suit looks. Now of course all the paint isnā€™t going to be correct like the belt for example. Thatā€™s painted all black when it actually has silver bits to it. When I took this guy out I finally found out that this Batman also has those blades on his gloves just like the previous iterations of Batman. I honestly thought they took those blades out for this version of Batman until I saw this figure, so that was a fun new detail to learn. The articulation is pretty decent, except for the head. Why the head? That is because the figure I received has the cowl hanging in the back. I ended up getting one of the Batman figures with the QC issues. I tried taking that hanging piece out, but unfortunately, it is glued to the cape, which belongs to the unmasked version with the Bruce Wayne head. In the end, it doesnā€™t bother me that much. Iā€™m personally okay with it. If youā€™re hesitant about purchasing this figure, Iā€™d go for it. If this one doesnā€™t fit your needs. PLEASE GO BUY THE 12 INCH BATMAN figures. Those are really cool. Good luck finding the Jim Lee-inspired one, but there are 2 more. The full-colored version and an incoming Gold variant thatā€™s been marked with the Platinum sticker.

The Riddler. When I first saw the Riddlerā€™s design in the first trailer we got, I wasnā€™t really a big fan of it. As time went by especially in the last year with what weā€™ve seen out of this movie, I actually really dig this version of Riddler. I find it refreshing, compared to the ones played by Jim Carrey and Frank Gorshin. It matches the entire tone of the film, with its dark, creepy, Zodiac feeling. So when I got this figure I was pretty happy with it. The articulation on his head and torso are a bit limited due to him wearing the raincoat and the mask piece. Other than that, the arms and legs move very well and I am still trying to figure out what the hell that weapon is? :laughing: If you know the answer to that riddle, plz let me know. Itā€™s a good figure too, I would get it because itā€™s different from past iterations and really sets the tone for the movie. I really do see the Riddler going to be a popular Halloween costume this year

Sorry about the quality. Iā€™m currently repairing my phone, so I had to use my laptop camera

7 Likes

A few minutes ago, I was playing around with the 4-inch Selina, Batman and Penguin from Spin Masterā€™s line for The Batman.

Iā€™ve had these figures for nearly 3 months, and I just now realized that the handle to Penguinā€™s umbrella is removable to reveal a sword!

As if this figure wasnā€™t already neat enough (due to his briefcase, its stack of cash and how neat Penguin himself is), the fact that he has a two-in-one umbrella makes him even cooler.

Kind of outdoes McFarlaneā€™s Penguin and his accessory count by a smidge of a squidge. :smirk:

6 Likes