Genderfluid Hal Jordan

Welcome, I am back to spread my evil mission to make every DC character queer. Except I have canon to back it up this time! Kinda! Depends on how you read it! Basically during the spectre era there was this stuff

More importantly, I think Hal being genderfluid adds some interesting layers, and could lead to a storyline with them grappling with identity, the hyper masculine image they’ve built out of insecurity, and dealing with their internalized prejudices. My personal HC is that Hal usually identifies as male, but still occasionally identities as female, or at least closer to that. Doesn’t present feminine very often, but when she does boy oh boy is it a TREAT

3 Likes

I’m glad you made a post about this, because I really do think it’s something that isn’t really an ignorable part of Hal’s character. Before you brought it up for the first time, I had seen a few random things on Twitter about the evidence of a genderfluid Hal, but had never put much thought into it, because before you joined here and started talking about the Green Lantern’s, @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230, I had never cared about them (you successfully spread your GL propaganda, and now I am very much invested in them) I think the idea of genderfluid Hal is something that any GL fan should look into, and learn more about, because I think that at this point, it’s basically canon after all the Spectre stuff. I think it really would add layers to the character that I find very interesting, like with what you said about internalized prejudice and insecurity. Also, hell yeah- When Hal dresses feminine, it’s for sure a treat. That’s all b y e.

2 Likes

Hal’s ideas about how women dress is very heavily associated with “how my aunts dressed in the late 90s” but that’s ok she’s on a journey

2 Likes

Wait is Hal canonically genderfluid? I thought that was a headcanon?

2 Likes

Have you read Hal’s Spectre storyline

2 Likes

not really no

1 Like

There’s some subtext

2 Likes

While we’re on the subject of canonical support for genderfluid Justice League members, may I present: Plastic Man

4 Likes

Yes!! Also I just got his PM series in the mail and I’m super excited to read it

3 Likes

Good point.

3 Likes

Hal Jordan is most fascinating when he is written with perspective like this. I always imagine him as a pansexual individual considering the alien worlds he travels, and his more “bachelor mindset” so I could see him seeing himself as genderfluid as well.

I love Geoff Johns but I don’t care for his version of Hal Jordan with the personality of a maverick. Everyone thinks that’s who he always was but that’s not true. To me, that version is incredibly boring compared to what he can be.

I think of something like how Hal was characterized in Grant Morrison’s Green Lantern series.
He’s level-headed, serious, an leader, and yet also care free to embrace the strangeness of the universe. That’s what we should be seeing more often.

3 Likes

Dear DC writers:
Here are some fun funky ways to canonize Hal’s genderfluidity: (DC Pride, anyone?)
A story arc where Hal is trying to find a way to reconcile his feelings with the hypermasculine military man image he’s been expected to project (or convinced himself he needs to project)
One of Hal’s friends/colleagues walks in on her experimenting with gender presentation, Hal freaks out, the person reacts in some way, they end up talking and helping her out
If you want to be super blatant about it, through sci-fi shenanigans, a physical manifestation of Hal’s dysphoria and repressed female identity and kicks Hal’s a** until they wise up and stop hating themselves
Hal comes out to Ollie/Barry/John/Ect., who’s super taken off guard but eventually warms up to the idea and tries to help Hal as much as possible, especially because Hal’s increased dysphoria is physically limiting them from doing Lantern Stuff
Hal’s ring figures it out while Hal is in very deep denial
Hal visits a planet populated by a race of aliens that can change their sexes at will and it Awakens Some Things In Hal
Hal recalls his many selves as The Spectre and discovers his female aspect was in fact unique to him and not a thing all the spectres had so now he’s gotta think about what THAT means
Uhhhhh Diana has a magic axe or something that no man can wield but Hal wields it and Oh No
IDK ideally I’d like a mix of cool sci fi stuff with more grounded, realistic portrayals of struggling with gender identity. And make it clear that this is not like. An Alien Thing, it’s a Human Thing that aliens are generally more chill about

3 Likes