Future State: Wonder Woman - Spoilers Discussion Issues 1-2

Future_State_Wonder_Woman_Vol_1_1

As DC releases it’s Future State series, seems like a good place for people to drop in and discuss their thoughts on individual titles. Tell us what you think about Future State: Wonder Woman

8 Likes

Man, this is a fun book. First Joelle Jones is fantastic in scripting and penciling this book. It looks beautiful, the story flows well, the dialogue is amusing without feeling contrived, just loved everything she did here.
As for what happens, like just jumping in without a backstory, I enjoy figuring the character out by seeing her in action rather than be told she is X and what through Y. The first fight scene is nicely done and Jerry is a fantastic name for a winged horse. The pixie is funny and plays nicely off Yara. Maybe the highpoint, at least for creativeness is showing Limbo and the gateway to the River Styx as an airport terminal. Read this, then took to my daughter and said “you will love this.”

5 Likes

Yeah, this was a really fun issue. Part of me kind of wishes there was more info on Yara’s story, but I guess that’s just a sign that they’re really making an intriguing character.

I also liked the name Jerry for her winged horse and the inventive way of showing the line to the River Styx.

3 Likes

And, we get Wonder Girl series starring Yara by Jones so the backstory is coming

3 Likes

This, ST, & can’t remember what is called but the superman one that kinda has planet hulk vibes are the ones from Future State that I’m interested in and leading up to these I felt that out of all the new characters Yara will be the one that sticks the landing the best. I have high hopes for this character and this first issue gives use a lot to work with. She is not very likable for me at the moment as far as personality goes and comes off arrogant but it’s obviously intentional with the narrator pointing out she’s flawed but hopes that she’ll be the right person at the right time. The world and setting is very cool and I hope we get to see her explore this world as she takes down some crazy cool monsters. If they execute her story arc well, developing her character as she overcomes these character flaws along her heroes journey, DC may have a great character on their hands here.

Also, I really like the little red head…demon, fair, god? not sure what she is but she’s adorable.

2 Likes

So I posted before reading y’all’s takes and yeah right there with ya man. How could I forget to mention Jerry! That was one of my favorite parts of the story. I can already tell he will be a great traveling companion for this hero and oh yes the demon and redhead conversation was hilarious.

Also, I couldn’t agree more with the Show don’t Tell aspect with how we just jump right in instead of giving us a bunch of exposition. Let’s learn along the way! Such a more interesting way to discover a character and feel as though you are on the journey learning and growing with them.

2 Likes

What’s funny is I don’t mind Yera’s little bit of arrogance, but probably would react negatively if it was a guy.

2 Likes
3 Likes

“Testing out a lot of stuff and sees what sticks.”
Yara definitely sticks

3 Likes

would that guy be credited only as Handsome Guy LOL. Joking.

I don’t really mind it right now either, can see it being annoying after awhile. I like a gal with some flair but if she retains it at the same level I at least hope there are well written parts showing humility and growth.

2 Likes

just watched this LOL I love her videos, she is so funny! Thick thighs Save lives! LOL Amen sister. :dancer: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Really glad to hear we are getting a Yara title. I think Jones is the right person to develop a fifth generation hero, I know she’s done a lot of gritty stuff in the past but the high fantasy and surreal parts of this book were impressive.

I will definitely buy a Wonder Girl or any other title by Jones after reading future state Wonder Woman.

Where do I go to complain about Superman of Metropolis?

3 Likes

Hey @bradsh41.61320 first welcome. Interesting to hear your take on Yara. I had tried Jones on Catwoman and didn’t care for it so it was a very pleasant surprise to find that I really loved this book. I started a thread for Superman of Metro, love to hear what you think of that too. Here’s the link

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I mean, she’s definitely arrogant, brash and temperamental but I like her precisely because of that. Not great qualities in real life, but those are fantastic qualities for fictional characters to read.

3 Likes

Oh your right I did not word that well. I tried to back peddle that statement a bit in the other post not well though I guess. What I was trying to get at I guess is I can see this character going either way for me depending on how well they handle her. It’s kinda like Guy I guess, He has those same traits but in the end you see he’s a good guy deep down. I do really like what we have thus far I just hope the redeeming qualities are done well and believable.

Flaws are what make a character interesting and how they handle things when those traits cause issues.

2 Likes

I agree! I like now very undiplomatic Yara seems to be. That flaw already makes her very different from Diana who often (though not always) is in the role of peace maker or noble warrior or savior.

It will be interesting to see if the reasons for that flaw get explained in Wonder Girl. Whatever the reason I hope it’s something more than “the shoes are just too big to fill”.

2 Likes

My thoughts from my review. Rated it the 4th best book this week

#4 Wonder Woman #1 → Lots of fun. Yara Flor is VERY different from Wonder Woman visually and character wise. The art was on point and the story was great. There’s some humor, some fun character moments, but this will be a different wonder woman than you’ve ever probably read.

Full review of Week 1:

2 Likes

My question on Yara as Wonder Girl. Did CW see this before they decided on the show or did they do it based on a synopsis and sketches? This is the big hit for me, and the most likely breakout character of Future State.

3 Likes

Oh definitely – it’s funny when I was writing that, the character that was coming to my mind was Damian. :laughing:

That is a good question. :thinking:

I definitely agree this is likely going to be the big new character from Future State, if only because we have a pretty good idea of where she’s going after. Even if we don’t know when this Joelle Jones WG series comes out, it looks like we’ll at least see her in the Wonder Woman title proper.

1 Like