Future State: Harley Quinn Spoilers Discussion Issues 1-2

Issue 2: I’m back! I enjoyed it—still liking the pacing, dialogue and artwork. Don’t want to say too much and spoil anything. I’ll just say I’m even more curious where it’s going now. I’m still in for the ride.:diamonds: Have you gotten to it yet, @msgtv?

2 Likes

Back to the LCS today. Will see if she has it

2 Likes

Read issue #2 today, and I liked it. Maybe, just maybe, I was too harsh on #1. From the start of this issue, I felt like Harley was manipulating Crane, and ultimately Black Mask. It’s almost like she uses her reputation as being a little nuts as a disguise for being cleverer than most people she deals with.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I would like to see this side of Harley more a little more, I think. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@msgtv (& @Green.Lantern!) Agree. This hybrid “Doctor Harley” is super observant, and knows what buttons to press and when. I like her this way. Will gladly take more.

2 Likes

I just did a quick re-read for the first time since these comics hit the shelves way back when.

I almost agree with @msgtv on that first issue, sort of. More along the line of her character. Which is also one of the things that I liked about Future State. What I thought to be a building of an alternate universe, Future State was the opposite of that. I pretty much forgot how much this comic leads right into Fear State… I now see what they did there. Still, Harley seemed a bit off.

The second issue things pick up and everything is right with the world again. While the pacing wasn’t off in the first issue, there was something that I couldn’t and still can’t put my finger on.

Now the thing that I absolutely loved was the artwork. The same artist is on Future State: Gotham. While that is in black and white and looks great, I really wish it has colors like FSHQ.

I don’t know if anyone here has read Stray Dogs released by Image but it was praised for how it looks like 90’s animation, specifically All Dogs Go To Heaven. The artwork in this book reminded me of top-notch hand-drawn neo-noir animation. There are blurs in all of the right places. The lines are crisp while portraying motions. I think next time I read this I will throw on the Blade Runner soundtrack that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago.

2 Likes