Future State: Green Lantern Reaction

Today I picked up and read my third Future State book, Future State: Green Lantern #1. It’s the Future State title I was most looking forward to (shocking, I know), and I was very happy with it. Each one of the three stories was interesting and held my attention. They were also different in art and story, which I like in this kind of book, but gave different perspectives on the bad situation the Corps is in in this future. I think I enjoyed the back-up stories more than the main story, but that might just be because I always like reading about Jessica Cruz, and the Guy story was a unique and interesting scenario. I enjoyed the other two titles I’ve read a lot (Wonder Woman and Swamp Thing), but this is the story I’d most want to read more about. I’m curious if anyone else has read it yet, and what they think. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not reading what you posted above yet, got it in my stack from the LCS today. Back in a few days tell ya what I think.

1 Like

Sounds great, I’m looking forward to hearing your reaction! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, got to this today. Really nice book. Feels like a giant GL book with the three separate stories. Love Old Man Stewart and his support crew. Poor Gnort. Think it does a good job of showcasing both the GL and US Marine that John is. As a preview of the writing talent, I’m happy with the book. But, the Jessica & Guy stories remind me that I don’t want to forget these and the others from the GL cast as they bring the Far Sector and Teen Lantern more into the mix. It would be nice if we could get back to having a couple of GL titles going.

Generally speaking, I’m not the biggest fan of the “hero that lost their powers” trope. Seeing the powers in action is one of the reasons I read these stories. So I was a tad bit disappointed that we didn’t get any Green Lantern ring action in this issue. Having said that, it wasn’t a bad read by any means; it was actually quite fun. They did a pretty good job of showcasing each Lantern’s key personality traits. John’s leadership, Jessica’s courage, Guy’s… Guyness :joy:. They Guy story was my favorite. Love the humor and lighthearted approach. The art in all three stories was top notch, as has been the case with every single Future State book I’ve read so far. There’s also the continuation of the trend of throwing the reader straight into the action, which if not executed properly can be confusing. There was a little bit of that for me with the first story, but I kinda caught on as I turned the pages. All in all, my least favorite Future State title I’ve read so far, but one I liked nonetheless. I’ll probably be checking out the new GL book once FS is over. Honestly I’ll take anything over Grant Morrison’s astoundingly confusing current GL book… I’m finishing that one out of pure commitment.

1 Like

You’re commitment is greater than mine. Morrison’s GL is all downside Morrison for me with little of the upside he can bring. But, here’s to the future GL run, May there be more than one.

1 Like

I do miss the days of multiple GL titles. It’s still a little hard for me to believe that it wasn’t that long ago that there were four or five titles a month.

2 Likes

It’s a combination of:

• Liam Sharp’s art.
  • My interest in GL. Aside from Far Sector (which is amazing), this is the only other current GL book.
  • Morrison hype. I don’t want to miss out on the next great thing.

That’s what keeps me going. Otherwise, I’m completely lost reading that book. If the end wasn’t in sight, I may have jumped off months ago.

2 Likes

I think if you look at the sales numbers from when we hard Green Lantern and Green Lanterns, they supported two titles. They got canceled I assume to make way for Morrison’s run. So, launch one focused on John in space, then later give us Jessica here on earth.

1 Like

Haven’t read Far Sector, think it’s here now. Sounds like I need to jump on it.

2 Likes

Far sector is the swig of kool aid you take after the spoonful of “blarg” cold medicine that is the Morrison Green Lantern book. Palate… cleansed.

1 Like

All right, man, I’m drinking the kool aid…what, that doesn’t sound good. I’m reading it anyway.

1 Like