Funniest Comic Books? (List at the Bottom)

Hey all you cool cats and kittens,

I need a pick me up, from this “depressing” state we are all in currently.

What are the funniest, most hilarious, light-hearted comics you know to read on DCU? I’ll take FUNNY, HEARTWARMING, ANYTHING. Lets get a nice list!

Thanks!

EDIT (With List):
Impulse
Superman Adventures #41 by Mark Millar
DC Comics Presents #81
Palmiotti/Conner Harley Quinn
Plastic Man
Tiny Titans
Hanna-Barbera
Ambush Bug
Looney Tunes Crossovers
Sasquatch Detective
The Flintstones

6 Likes

@thelegendslevin honestly one of the funniest series I have ever read and is still a good book is Impulse ! I promise you will smile and laugh a lot if you read Impulse.

3 Likes

Yeah, been burning the mid-nite oil reading the Rebirth series of Batfamily stuff. Sometimes it gets a little too brooding and stoic :batman_hv_5:

1 Like

DC Comics Presents #81 will put a smile on your face.

2 Likes

Superman Adventures #41 by Mark Millar

3 Likes

The Palmiotti/Conner Harley Quinn run.

2 Likes

I obviously love some Harley Quinn stuff. Sometimes the art is different, but the character development is what i enjoy the most.

1 Like

Looking forward to this!

2 Likes

The entirety of Plastic Man Vol 4 .

Tiny Titans.

Get in there with some Ambush Bug, some of those require some basic knowledge of the era and the comics at the time. Not for everyone, but worth a shot.

The DC/Hanna-Barbera books were good (some, of course, funnier than others. Squad/Banana Splits is a wild ride) as are the Looney Tunes crossovers (Lobo/Roadrunner and Catwoman/Sylvester & Tweety are my faves).

Sasquatch Detective is plain weird

Tec 388-which, depending on how you count could be the last Silver Age issue of the book–involves Batman, Robin, Joker, and the moon and is exactly the send off that era needed.

That’s a lot. Maybe someone will find something in there.

3 Likes

Love this list of books, plenty of options!

1 Like

Honestly there aren’t a whole lot of DC books that I read for pure comedy. I feel like, at least in recent years, DC has aimed squarely at the “dead serious” target. Unlike a lot of people, I’m not a huge fan of Conner/Palmiotti Harley Quinn. I respect their take and their commitment to the series (like 70+ issues, including miniseries and the start of the Rebirth book; that’s dedication!), although I don’t really like it or find it particularly funny. A lot of the older books that people recommend as comedic I also don’t find very funny. Humor is often a product of its time. Ambush Bug doesn’t do a lot for me. JLI is great, and it is funny, but it also isn’t a pure comedy. It’s got a lot of serious dramatic elements that don’t make it the ideal funny book to give to someone who needs a laugh.

So, what are the funniest comics? Most of the stuff Mark Russell’s been doing over the past handful of years has been amazing. The recently-finished Wonder Twins might actually be his best work. Although Flintstones, Snagglepuss, and Prez are all excellent as well. It’s sharp satire mixed with creativity and wonderful timing. All of which are hard to do in comics. Also of note is the current, sadly almost finished Jimmy Olsen series. Steve Lieber’s art accentuates Matt Fraction’s comedic stylings to new heights. It’s amazing.

Those are really it as far as I can think of in way of DC. I’m sure there are others that people can come up with. Overall, though, I think Marvel’s been beating DC at the funny game for a while now. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is hysterical. Nextwave is a stone-cold classic. Welcome Back Frank (while hard to read now through no fault of its own) is a genius dark comedy. The (somewhat) recent Power Man and Iron Fist series by David Walker and Sanford Greene is amazing.

Point being, I’d really like to see DC focus more heavily on humor. They’re doing good at it, but I’d like to see them do even better.

2 Likes

Humor is also a product of perspective. Humor, like art, is in the eye of the beholder. So it is very cool to find what you enjoy and disregard the rest. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m just here to second the DC/Hanna-Barbera recommendation. Love all of those titles.

2 Likes

Probably a controversial statement but my pick is Al-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. It is hilarious and one of my favorites.

2 Likes

The Giffen/DeMatteis run on Justice League

3 Likes

seconded! the original era of the JLI from 1987-91 is by far the golden years for that incarnation of the league my go-to issue is Justice League America #37 “Furballs”

2 Likes

That is a good one. I still love #5 when Batman knocked out out Guy, and Beetle’s reaction: “one punch, one punch!”

1 Like

The Flintstones has been surprisingly clever and funny. I was not expecting to enjoy the series as much as I did. It’s a very fun book and definitely worth a read.

3 Likes

^ not a comic, but unintentionally one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen :snowflake::snowman_with_snow::laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s one cool flick, alright. :cold_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like