Fun “Real” References/Ads in Comics

Nightwing #87: BLM poster.

2 Likes

Refrigerator full of heads #3: Harley Davidson, & Jaws reference/ quote. We’re gonna need a bigger (boat) refrigerator.

2 Likes

Superman #662: 3 Stooges (Dimwits).

3 Likes

Created by Everett E. Hibbard and Gardner Fox as a 3 Stooges parody
These guys were VERY frequent co-stars of the Jay Garrick Flash in the 1940s

3 Likes

Very cool!!! Half of Zatanna’s creators (Fox) & Anderson.

3 Likes

Solo #5: Castro, (all the Cuba, C. I. A., Mafia stuff is real), Fulgencio Batista (President of Cuba Castro overthrew), Chappelle Show Skit- I’m Rick James B@#$& shirt on the Joker (my favorite find ever lol) & a happy meal in the car, Clint Eastwood & Rocky 5 (Will Magnus isn’t a cinephile, thought maybe the comic came out b4 & Cooke was jokingly guessing. But, it was released b4 the comic by 15yrs).

3 Likes

DC Cybernetic Summer #1: Top Gun volleyball scene with the Kenny Loggins- Playing With the Boys song playing. King Shark singing it. Bryan Adam’s- Boys Of Summer.

2 Likes

DC Cybernetic Summer #1: HQ Wicked Witch, Bitcoins, Children of the Corn, reference to a (closed due to deaths & multiple injuries) real water park in New Jersey documentary on it called Class Action Park on HBO MAX, Tweet, & Tweetybird, Matthew McConaughey, Wi-Fi, Helter Skelter & the Beatles, Tons of stuff in 2nd to last 2, Black Freighter, HBO Latin, etc.etc take your pick lol. Titanic reference Jack & Rose.

Helter Skelter Beatles last, I missed it 1st try.

2 Likes

Superman #672: Usually don’t do DC in DC but there were some cool ones. Batmobile. WW 52, JSA (2007-2014),Justice League of America (2013-2015), DC Direct Kara etc. not listed in any specific order, but, u know which ones JSA (last frame, JL of America 2nd frame etc.)

2 Likes

Superman #674: Googling, Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)- Irving Butler (composer), sung as duet by Ethel Merman & Ray Middleton, in Annie Get Your Gun. (Broadway Musical).

2 Likes

Superman #675: Library of Alexandria. founded by Alexander the Great. History is back & forth, but the most popular theory is it’s destroyer was Caesar. One of the ancient wonders of the world. Believed to be the biggest library & source of information at the time. Ancient equivalent of a modern day Google.

2 Likes

Superman Confidential #9-#10: Rumble in the Jungle (Ali vs Foreman), & Lipps Inc.- Funkytown lyrics. (Take u to Supertown…)

2 Likes

Task Force Z #3: The Rolling Stones- Mothers Little Helper. songs about Valium free capo fun fact.

IF ANYONE SEES THIS. COULD U POST LITERALLY ANYTHING ON MUSICAL REFERENCES??? I’VE BEEN LOCKED OUT FOREVER & I DIDN’T TAG ANYONE, BUT I’M RUNNING OUT OF ROOM :joy:

2 Likes

Justice League #70: The Titanic, & Amway.

2 Likes

Detective Comics #1046: Voltron, TMNT dolls, figures, Miley Cyrus- Wrecking Ball lyrics, Judge Judy.

2 Likes

Robin #9: Back to the Future.

2 Likes

The Flash #777: Hogwarts, Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo- Al Hoffman, Mack David, & Jerry Livingston (novelty song most prominent in Cinderella), Magic Mike.

2 Likes

DCU Halloween Special #1: Freddy Krueger, One To Grow On (PSA during NBC’s cartoon lineup where stars would give u a piece of advice, just like The More You Know, included a few pics as examples Betty White, Jason Bateman, & Michael J. Fox), Slipknot t-shirt, Pablo Escobar reference Medellin Cartel Plato O Plomo/ Take My Silver or Take my Lead, Jackie Brown.

2 Likes

Justice League: The New Frontier Special #1: Elvis, Hula Hoops, etc.

2 Likes

Secret Origins Special (89’) #1: 60 minutes, Emmy, Rolling Stone Magazine, Bruce Springsteen, Donald Duck, & Humphrey Bogart.

2 Likes