Fun “Real” References/Ads in Comics

Elseworlds Finest #1: National Geographic (on Cpt. Marvel comic strip pg), Boxer Gene Tunney, Buster Brown, Jason & The Argonauts, Rosetta Stone, The Ritz & Greta Garbo, Mutt & Jeff, El Dorado, Valley of the Kings, Jazz, Swing & the Blues, Boy Scouts, Johnny Weissmuller 24’ Olympics, Jonah & The Whale.

With thanks to @wilkinswontkins for the recommendation on the what 1 or 2 comics recommendations page I’ve just finished part 1 & am about to read part 2. It’s absolutely incredible!!! Full of characters & nods & one of the best Elseworlds stories I’ve ever read. I’m sure I’ll be back with more from part 2.

Panel preceding the Jazz, Swing etc. couldn’t really see the Jazz at the bottom. The Panel was so cool I figured I’d post it anyways.

3 Likes

Elseworlds Finest Part 2: Jules Verne, Tsar Nicholas, Boswell (Verne reference), Sears Catalogue, Franz Mesmer, bunch of countries etc & an actual Easter Egg reference lol, Fourth of July & I actually put this on my nods to writers, artists etc. in the industry thread. In the 1st one above. The name on the Captain Marvel comic is a combo of Marvel family creator C.C. Beck & Alex Raymond whom Beck admired so Raymond Beck. In this issue it’s Batman creator Bob Kane & Superman creator Jerry Siegel, so, Jerry Kane. I also added a pic on my thread of C.C. That was in issue #1.

3 Likes

Hitchhiker’s Guide

4 Likes

We caught a lot of the same references in this one @capo-mage! Lol. Here’s where I posted back in February. :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah. That’s a lot of the same lol. I usually check but I never remembered seeing that comic anywhere on here on any threads b4. Not sure how I missed it?

1 Like

No worries @capo-mage! The thread is getting bigger - it’s bound to happen! I love that we all have our eyes open for these things while we’re reading.

I’m always scouring for funny faces and LOL moments now too! :eyes:

2 Likes

Lex Luthor Man of steel: Pager & cordless phone, Prince Charming, Captain Spaulding (maybe coincidence but I doubt it), Judas. Air guitar honorable mention lol.

3 Likes

Swamp thing Seasons end storyline: Katrina, Silence of the Lambs (Quid Pro Quo Clarice), It Ain’t Easy Being Green ( Kermit the frog), Speed Racer line, Short Circuit quote Johnny #5 is alive.

3 Likes

Just a couple from Batman #656 & #663 (1940): Acid Trip (hydrochloric): Damian wants a Laptop.

4 Likes

Yup I know what you mean - always waiting for Batman to ghost Gordon lol

2 Likes

Swamp thing(2011):Battlefront & Invasion, Canned Peaches, Nobel Peace Prize, 401k & forever stamps ,reference to The Loch Ness Monster, Great Potato Famine, & Gladly pay u Tuesday (for a hamburger today J. Wellington Wimpy from Popeye.

3 Likes

Swamp thing (2011) & Final Crisis: Twitter, Moth Man, Mark Twain name & quote (Trixster), Frankenstein & Arc of the Covenant, Paul Revere, Tootsie POP, Aladdin.

3 Likes

Final Crisis: Nerf Balls, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Dawn of the Dead, Glue, Beyoncé’, I-Pods, Rubik Cube, Steve McQueen, Romeo & Juliet.

3 Likes

Superman/Batman: Hoover Dam & Eiffel Tower, Rice a Roni on trolley, Marvin the Martian, Freddie Prinze Jr. & Samuel L. Jackson, Heromyx, mxy’s heroclyx, pudding pops, direct deposit, Beer Commercial for the Super Bowl, Oz Dorothy Toto etc. James Brown-Poppas got a brand new Bag.

2 Likes

A reference to the infamous Butch Cassidy

Deathstroke (The Terminator) #26

4 Likes

It’s actually quite common for comics to have their own comics in the comic as to them it’s just a recap of events to kids who may or may not have already been born most recently ive seen this done in Flash #750

2 Likes

@Mr.noodle I’d add that the reference of Swamp Thing in a Constantine comic (not quite his own comic in this case) is a tool that helps define the comic universe. It’s a great way to show the connection between Constantine and Swamp Thing, who have been featured together (Constantine first appearing via a Swamp Thing comic). I see it as a mix between a cross-sell and an Easter egg.

That #750 link goes to the Wonder Woman #750 thread, which links to itself. I haven’t checked that one out yet but I assume it references The Flash? That would be a cool reference for this thread once it’s digital!

1 Like

A reference to Elvis

Deathstroke (The Terminator) #27

2 Likes

Waited too long so from all over: Salem Witch Trials, Tennyson (Alfred Lord), Marx Brothers, Oz reference (man behind curtain):, Comic-Con, Super Bowl (Ace), Light Sabers, Col. Sanders (description).

3 Likes

Detective Comics #468-#476 plus Batfamily issues: Robert Redford, Thomas (Alva) Edison, Da Vinci, Jell-o, Apollo & Sedan, Humphrey Bogart, YoYo’s, William Tell, Galileo, Emily Post, LeapFrog, King Of the Hill, Jaws (Jr), Davy Jones Locker, James Cagney White Heat, Wizard of Oz, G.I. Joe, Cat on a Hot Ton Roof (he brought Catwoman to see it lol), Henry Ford, Arthur Treacher,

3 Likes